Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

New

Finally pulled the trigger on joining! We have finally upgraded to an unbelievably nice camper. Very pleased with our purchase. It is still very clean and the fiberglass is very glossy. My question is maintenance and its two part.1) what is the best wax to keep the camper glossy.?And 2) best roof maintenance ideas, cleaners, caulk, protection? Thanks for any input. And sorry if my questions are very common or newbie.

Johnny
2011 rockwood roo 21ss
Jsmerecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
HI Johnny

Glad to have you here with us.

Congratulations on your upgrade. Keeping the finish looking good is a question of how much work you want to do on it. Some waxes can make it a year others need to be done as often as every three months. I use Meguiars on my coach plus I apply Rejex on the front and windows. It is great for bugs. If your roof is fiberglass same thing. If it's something else let us know.

Good luck! Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is your RV fiberglass exterior walls? There are two types of fiberglass. The cheaper type is called "Filon" and it has somewhat of a slight texture. Or the real fiberglass which is very smooth. 99% of hybrids if not aluminum will be the Filon fiberglass. If I remember right the Roo's are Filon.

Either one you can use a product call "Gel-Gloss" it's both a cleaner and a wax. Sold in 16, 32, 64oz or gallon size. The 64 oz. jug lasts me 4-5 years.

Each time I wash my trailer I'll do maybe half a side, Or do the front cap just before a long trip. Keeping the front cap well waxed lets you just wash the bugs off. Their HD (heavy duty) Gel Gloss also has a added UV protector. It costs more, so I use that only on the decal areas. If you don't wax your decals, they will start to fad by the 3rd season.

To use, I have a box of terry cloth shop towels or old bath hand towels. Put a 1-2" dollop on the towel, work it in a area of 2 by 2' or 3' by 3'. It will get any black streaks off, tar, oxidation...you name it. I have even used it on a friends 1999 Aerolite hybrid that had not been touch for at least 10 years. I mean the filon was nearly black in color. Even brought the shine back. Now as you work the area, leave some on, let it dry / haze up for maybe 15 - 30 minutes, and then buff it off with another clean soft towel. So as you work area to area, each time you put another dollop of Gel Gloss on use another area of the towel. So a small 18" shop rag you might only get 10' of wall done. FYI: As in any wax, don't do it in the direct hot sun. If it's a 45 or 50 degree day, you can get away with some sun on the wall section your doing. You really don't want the wall surface "Hot" to the touch.

Now if you start to get a few "used" rags / towels all filled up with gunk. I'll put them in a 5 gallon pail and fill it with water, hot if you have it and wash them out maybe 5 times. It will take that many times to get the dirty wax out of the towels to be able to reuse them after they dry.

Over the 8 month camping season, I may get around my 26' hybrid 2-1/2 or 3 times.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

If you plan to wax/polish your RV I recommend an electric buffer/polisher.

I can do my 25' TT in about 60 minutes with mine. Keeps me motivated to do it, makes it much less of a task to avoid.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

Me too

I bought an inexpensive buffer for this purpose and these same motivations. From my reading, it doesn't take much to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
If you plan to wax/polish your RV I recommend an electric buffer/polisher.

I can do my 25' TT in about 60 minutes with mine. Keeps me motivated to do it, makes it much less of a task to avoid.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

I would use the new Meguiars Ultimate Wax. It CAN be used in direct sun. There actually have been advances is the last few years. It is my wife's favorite wax and it has cut down the time it takes her to complete the job. She taught her daughter to use the same product on her trailer.
Use the Dicor products, one for cleaning and one for protection. Check all caulking before using and use their self leveling caulk.should be good to go. Not hard and I do it twice a year even though my trailer is in covered storage.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #7

Ditto on Meguiars Ultimate wax. Not a real wax; it is actually one of the new generation of synthetics with superior protection and longevity. It will last 6 months to one year. The best real carnuba waxes only last one to two months. I have used this on my cars for a few years now.