Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Newbie-23IKSS what do I need?

We just bought a Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS (same as a Roo 23IKSS) I am wondering what all we need with this? How long of a dump hose do I need? Do I really need a "white" hose for drinking water? I have heard that the ovens really don't work well, is this true? I have researched for three years on what kind of camping vehicle we wanted and we had it made for us, (not a great experience, by the way) but we now have it and it seems I have more questions now than before. It is 25.5 feet long. We have a weight distribution, anti sway hitch towing with an F150 3.2 turbo boost. Also, how do you get things to stay where you put them? I know there is a lot of bounce, and have figured that the covers for the sink are for only when you are sitting still! Anyone have any trouble with water coming in on the front bed? I was told that they have fixed the problem. Anyone have one that can give me advice? Also, how high are they with all the stuff on top? They say 10 feet but I am pretty sure it's higher than that! Thanks in advance!
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Newbie - 231KSS what do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaen View Post
We just bought a Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS (same as a Roo 23IKSS) I am wondering what all we need with this? How long of a dump hose do I need?

10' to 15' should do. I've not see a sewer hose less than 5' long.

Do I really need a "white" hose for drinking water?

Yes, you need a white hose for drinking water. Why? Because it's easy to keep that one clean! You don't want to be mixing up hoses when it comes to your health.

I have heard that the ovens really don't work well, is this true?

Depends on if you have a new trailer or bought a previously-owned one. The new models tend to have electric sparks which makes lighting the oven a great deal easier! It's best to use an oven thermometer as the adjustment is iffy.

Also, how do you get things to stay where you put them?

Use some of the sticky plastic mesh sold to use in drawers and shelves. Plus, plastic containers with tight-fitting lids are the campers' friend.

I know there is a lot of bounce, and have figured that the covers for the sink are for only when you are sitting still!

Never had a problem with the sink covers bouncing off. They're made to sit down below the rim of the sink and, as long as you don't tow over really rough roads, the covers should stay over the sink.

Anyone have any trouble with water coming in on the front bed? I was told that they have fixed the problem.

The only time we had that problem was when we had to strike camp in the rain and didn't get all of the canvas tucked inside before latching.

Anyone have one that can give me advice? Also, how high are they with all the stuff on top? They say 10 feet but I am pretty sure it's higher than that! Thanks in advance!
We haven't measured ours yet, but the last one was just shy of 12' high.
horsecollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Thank you.. that is what I told my husband! Another score for DW!!
Old 08-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

We have a 2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS and I strongly suggest you visit and search the Forest River forums, especially the Expandable and Hybrid sub-forum. Shamrock 23IKSS and Rockwood 23IKSS are virtually identical.

Not counting the coil spring-loaded radio antenna, it is 10.5 feet tall.

I suggest you get PopUp Gizmos for the bunk roofs. They help with heating, cooling and light. Some insert Reflectix in the zipper windows.

I have both a 15’ and 10’ sewer hose but use the 10’ more often. Buy a sewer donut as some campgrounds do not have threaded sewer pipes.

Yes, you do need a separate drinking water hose. They are made with safe materials. Use it only for drinking water. Buy a separate hose for other hose needs.

Our oven works just fine. We don’t use it a whole lot but it does work for cookies and lasagna! X2 on the use of an oven thermometer!

BTW - We opted for the 15k AC and it did a fantastic job keeping the interior in the low 70s when we stayed at the beach where it was 90+ degrees.
TheoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

"I suggest you get PopUp Gizmos for the bunk roofs. They help with heating, cooling and light. Some insert Reflectix in the zipper windows."

Do you have the popUp Gizmos? Are you tall people? We are not and it is hard to put up the beds sometimes. I am wondering how you get the PopUp Gizmos up to the top and how do you attach them?
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

[QUOTE=TheoM;4932731]We have a 2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS and I strongly suggest you visit and search the Forest River forums, especially the Expandable and Hybrid sub-forum. Shamrock 23IKSS and Rockwood 23IKSS are virtually identical.

Yes, We wanted a Roo 23IKSS but didn't like who we would have to buy it from. That is why we went to the Shamrock. They are identical, they come off the same manufacturing line. We ordered ours. Figured if we were going to pay good money for it, we might as well get what we wanted.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaen View Post
"I suggest you get PopUp Gizmos for the bunk roofs. They help with heating, cooling and light. Some insert Reflectix in the zipper windows."

Do you have the popUp Gizmos? Are you tall people? We are not and it is hard to put up the beds sometimes. I am wondering how you get the PopUp Gizmos up to the top and how do you attach them?
Yes, we do have PUGs. We added them about 2-months ago and they’ve made a big difference in the bunk temps. Plus, it’s much easier to clean off the PUGs than the bunk vinyl when camping in the pines.

The PUGs attach with HD Velcro on the top edge of the bunk opening. There are 5 bungee cords (on the super high wind versions) that secure the rest of the PUGs against the bunk roof. Note that you can detach the bungees and fold up the bunk ends without removing the PUGs from the top Velcro edge.

I attached the (user sourced) Velcro “hook” strips and then the PUGs by lowering the bunks without erecting the interior supports. Using a stepladder, I climbed onto the collapsed vinyl and mattress on my knees and without shoes. From that position, you can easily reach the top edge of the bunk opening.

I’m just under 5’10” and DW is 5’7”. Lowering the bunks started out being rather awkward (especially the front), but after 4-months of use, you get the balance points and where to stand/move for a controlled deployment. And, we are both in our late 60s.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #8

"I attached the (user sourced) Velcro “hook” strips and then the PUGs by lowering the bunks without erecting the interior supports. Using a stepladder, I climbed onto the collapsed vinyl and mattress on my knees and without shoes. From that position, you can easily reach the top edge of the bunk opening."

Where did you get HD velcro and what part did you attach it too?
Old 09-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

You need the “hook” side of the Velcro which is available in lengths on Amazon. It attaches to the underside (angled surface) of the top metal trim strip on the bunk opening. Make sure you use alcohol to prep the trim surface. Run the Velcro across the underside in a continuous strip as close to the inside edge of the trim (where the bunk vinyl attaches) as you can.

I ran the Velcro all the way to the left and right vertical edge of the opening, but I will be trimming it back about 2” from each edge as the bungee cord pulls tightly on the corners and this has peeled-off the Velcro about 2” from the vertical edge toward the center. Also, leaving a gap on each side allows the PUG and the bunk vinyl to more easily fold toward the bunk’s center when stowing the bunk.

HTH!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome to the IRV2.com FORUM(S).

When you first enter this group, a new Member may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the forums you can find here. First, you need to set up your USER CP
Once you open and start a menu will open on the left side just take it all in the step-by-step top to bottom.

NEXT, you will find this forum is made up of 14-Forums broken into four-part forums. First is the HOME, top left above the member's menu. This forum is very helpful to new members to learn and become more familiar with overtime.

NEXT TO HOME is FORUMS on the top left covering Community, RV Lifestyles, Regional and RV Camping. and to the right of this is RV Forums.

RV FORUMS on the top left covers a lot about TRUCKS, Conversations, MVT's, HDT's, Travel Trailers/5th Wheel Chassis & TECH stuff, Chassis CLUB, RV SYSTEMS, Powertrain Garage.

Then you have the OWNERS FORUMS Covering Registry, A-M, and N-Z.

Now if you pan down to the bottom of the page you will find other FORUMS and if you know or have a Class B, you can direct or join the CLASS B FORUMS at Class B Forums And if you get down to Florida this link may be very HELPFUL http://www.CampFlorida.com Enjoy the Roads.

So welcome you again, I hope you join in the fun and share your knowledge by helping new members find their way in this forum as you would in, any RV Park. Again, make sure to set up your USER CP as this is helpful to you and other members. Again if you enjoy or think of starting your own RV Blog you can do that here as well above on menu bar is BLOGS Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags