Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #1

OK, we got back last night from our maiden voyage. We were planning on coming home today, but had a slight prob. The fridge quit working. I am not sure if it was user error or what. All of the food went bad before I noticed, so we came home. I will talk about it a little later.

We are staying at Sycamore Lodge near Aberdeen, NC. This is one of those "free nights camping" deals. You listen to them try to sell you a time share, etc. I am curious. The weather is supposed to be nice until Monday with highs of around 70 and lows of 53. Should be nice, but I will prepare for anything.

Anyway, I am really liking the hybrid. Loading it is so much better than the popup. We picked it up from the storage lot early this morning. Hitching it up was not as bad as I thought it would be. This new hitch is not so bad. Heavy, but not bad. One problem was that when we parked it there after our purchase, we did not put a block under the tongue jack. It is just a pole, has no wheel, or flat end. It was parked on concrete, so thought it would be fine. Turns out the concrete is not high quality or hard enough. We backed up to hitch it up and could not raise the tongue high enough to hitch it. Could not figure how that could be. It was cranked as high as it could go. dh then pointed out that it may have sunk. He appeared correct. We stood there staring and then I had an idea. We got the scissor jack from the back of the van and started jacking up the tongue with it. We then realized that this was not that sturdy. I then decided to let dh hold that jack steady while I raised the tongue jack on the trailer and then slipped the block under. It was a relief to put the scissor jack away. Turns out the pole had sunk 5 or 6 inches into the concrete. I told dh I thought I saw a chinamen through that hole. OK, now we have it. We got it hitched it no time and brought her to the house. dh left for the gym while I loaded it

1st thing I did was turn the fridge to propane (both tanks are full) to let it cool. I finished packing the suitcases and dd10 and I brought them downstairs. We put our pillows (all 7 of them) into the camper. I then put in extra blankets. We made sure each person had a coat and light jacket that way we were prepared for any weather. I also packed our hats and gloves, just in case.

We put our groceries into the fridge. It is cold, so is working. Here is where I may have made a mistake. I put frozen waffles, fish, chicken nuggets and a box of burgers in the freezer. It made it totally full. Am I supposed to leave room for circulation? I put the eggs, cinammon rolls, smoked sausage, and hot dogs in the door. I took out one of the fridge shelves (the one with the cutout for something tall) out to make room for 2 gallons of milk. We really like milk around here. LOL I put our lunch meats and cheese in the bottom drawer. There is so much room in this fridge. I put the soda in the cooler. I figure it is cool enough outside to keep it outside in the cooler. I did not realize it, but I forgot to pack the juice and sunny D.

We picked ds15 up at school. Negotiating the carpool lane with a camper was quite an experience. I told him to expect us late as we wanted to avoid the rush at the beginning. There were still a few cars, but the police officer saw our rig and helped us out with traffic. He gave us a big smile and a wave.

We arrived w/o incident, but it was dark. We stopped for dinner and that put us there later than I planned. Backing her in was not too bad and unhitching went off w/o a hitch LOL. We put out the beds and hooked up the sewer water and electric easy as pie. Got the kids inside while we finished up. Now, to remember how to light the water heater. I dug out the camera and we watched the video. OK, I think we have it. OK, maybe not. OK, we got it. Well, what happens if the water heater is on, but no water is in it? Is water in it? It is not running inside. Turn it back off. OK, how do you fill the water heater? Where is the water heater? Why didn't the guy tell us this? OK, we found the water heater. How do you fill it? OK, got it full. OK, light it. Is it supposed to blow full blast like that? OK, lets make sure it does shut off after the water is hot. OK, it did, we are fine. I think/I hope. Should we pray?

Furnace is working fine. YAY heat!!! OK, let's switch the fridge to electric. He didn't tell me how. Luckily there are instructions. OK, knob A is only marked gas, the electric marking has rubbed off. Or did it. Must have rubbed off. Let's set it to electric. This may have been a mistake. We had cereal for a snack and went to bed. Next day had milk with breakfast and it was nice and cold. Had burgers for lunch and they were frozen solid. We grilled fish for dinner, but I think they were not so solid frozen, but did not pay attention. Sunday morning, the fridge was warm and everything was bad. I did salvage the cinammon rolls and we had those for breakfast. Not sure if the electric ever worked or if it stopped working or if it was a voltage issue. Not sure. Any ideas on how to find out? I turned it back to propane and the freezer got cold, but not sure about the frige. As I am cleaning it today, I will turn it to propane and see what happens.

As for the rest of it, well we played musical beds somewhat. The original plan was for the boys to be in the bunk beds, ds15 on top and ds7 on the bottom, the girls in the small bunk end and dh and I on the other. ds15 tried to the top bunk the night before we left and he did not fit. It is really small. I will post a picture in my homepage later today. So maybe ds7 will be on top. I will get the bedrail and put it up there so he does not roll out. I put it up there while packing and it is too tall. It hits the ceiling. OK, new plan. dd10 will be on top, ds15 on bottom and ds7, dd5, and dd3 in the bunk end. Gotta, good. We get there and it is quite chilly in that bunk end. ds15 doesn't like the fact that the first morning he is awoken by the littles. That is why he did not like the popup and wanted to top bunk. This night he decided to sleep in the bunk end, ds7 in the bottom bunk and we fold the u dinette into a bed for the younger girls. ds10 is still on top. Got it? Not sure I do. Well, he wakes up in the middle of the night because it is "raining" on him. I told him it was just condensation building up because of his breath and the heat inside and cold outside. He says "Mom, if it starts dripping on me, it becomes precipitation and that makes it RAIN!" OK, so having a genius for a son is not so good. LOL Anyway, it is about 1 or 2am. We move ds7 to the dinette with the little girls and ds15 moves back to the bottom. Does anyone follow me? OK, back to sleep for us all. How do we take care of the condensation?

OK after waking up to a fridge full of bad food, we decide to leave tonight (Sunday) instead of tomorrow. We go to do the pedal boats. She can only find one key and doesn't think the canoe is there. We get our life jackets on head to the lake. The canoe is there as well as the two pedal boats that no one can use because they can't find the keys. ds15 goes back to get the key to the canoe as well as paddles. The paddles he brings back look like they go to a kids boat. Anyway, the canoe is filled with water. We dump it out and get in. dh has dd10, ds7 and dd5 with him in the pedal boat and ds15 and I sit dd3 in the middle of the canoe. She is the stillest of all of them, so she won't rock the boat. We did fine. dh had returned to shore with ds7 because he was scared and flippin out. He has some sensory issues and is not good in unfamiliar territory. dd10 and dd5 took the pedal boat back out and then called out for help in the middle of the lake because they could not go any more. ds and I canoed to them, grabbed their boat and brought them back to the dock. dh and dd10 then took the canoe out. ds7 wanted to go, but I told him it was not a good idea. If he got upset, he would flip the canoe. Well, they flipped it over anyway and dh got soaked. They were next to shore on the other side, so dd10 managed to jump to the shore and stay dry.

We went back to the camper, had lunch (the burgers will still slightly frozen) and then started packing up. Your tips on folding up the bunkends were awesome. I found the bungee and the tenting stayed nice and neat. It folded like a dream. While we waited for dh that night to do his service for his soldiers before we went home, the kids and I sat in the camper and played cards. It was nice. We had the u dinette and the bottom bunk switched to the 2 seat dinette. We had snacks and were able to have 2 games going. The heater was on and it was nice. w/o the tip on the tenting bungee cord, we could not have used the dinette with it closed up. Thanks.

I now have to go clean her up and put her back at the storage lot. Thank you all for all of your tips. Other than the fridge thing, this trip was a success!!!

Oh, sorry so long winded, just had a fun trip and wanted to share.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #2

OK, we got back last night from our maiden voyage. We were planning on coming home today, but had a slight prob. The fridge quit working. I am not sure if it was user error or what. All of the food went bad before I noticed, so we came home. I will talk about it a little later.

We are staying at Sycamore Lodge near Aberdeen, NC. This is one of those "free nights camping" deals. You listen to them try to sell you a time share, etc. I am curious. The weather is supposed to be nice until Monday with highs of around 70 and lows of 53. Should be nice, but I will prepare for anything.

Anyway, I am really liking the hybrid. Loading it is so much better than the popup. We picked it up from the storage lot early this morning. Hitching it up was not as bad as I thought it would be. This new hitch is not so bad. Heavy, but not bad. One problem was that when we parked it there after our purchase, we did not put a block under the tongue jack. It is just a pole, has no wheel, or flat end. It was parked on concrete, so thought it would be fine. Turns out the concrete is not high quality or hard enough. We backed up to hitch it up and could not raise the tongue high enough to hitch it. Could not figure how that could be. It was cranked as high as it could go. dh then pointed out that it may have sunk. He appeared correct. We stood there staring and then I had an idea. We got the scissor jack from the back of the van and started jacking up the tongue with it. We then realized that this was not that sturdy. I then decided to let dh hold that jack steady while I raised the tongue jack on the trailer and then slipped the block under. It was a relief to put the scissor jack away. Turns out the pole had sunk 5 or 6 inches into the concrete. I told dh I thought I saw a chinamen through that hole. OK, now we have it. We got it hitched it no time and brought her to the house. dh left for the gym while I loaded it

1st thing I did was turn the fridge to propane (both tanks are full) to let it cool. I finished packing the suitcases and dd10 and I brought them downstairs. We put our pillows (all 7 of them) into the camper. I then put in extra blankets. We made sure each person had a coat and light jacket that way we were prepared for any weather. I also packed our hats and gloves, just in case.

We put our groceries into the fridge. It is cold, so is working. Here is where I may have made a mistake. I put frozen waffles, fish, chicken nuggets and a box of burgers in the freezer. It made it totally full. Am I supposed to leave room for circulation? I put the eggs, cinammon rolls, smoked sausage, and hot dogs in the door. I took out one of the fridge shelves (the one with the cutout for something tall) out to make room for 2 gallons of milk. We really like milk around here. LOL I put our lunch meats and cheese in the bottom drawer. There is so much room in this fridge. I put the soda in the cooler. I figure it is cool enough outside to keep it outside in the cooler. I did not realize it, but I forgot to pack the juice and sunny D.

We picked ds15 up at school. Negotiating the carpool lane with a camper was quite an experience. I told him to expect us late as we wanted to avoid the rush at the beginning. There were still a few cars, but the police officer saw our rig and helped us out with traffic. He gave us a big smile and a wave.

We arrived w/o incident, but it was dark. We stopped for dinner and that put us there later than I planned. Backing her in was not too bad and unhitching went off w/o a hitch LOL. We put out the beds and hooked up the sewer water and electric easy as pie. Got the kids inside while we finished up. Now, to remember how to light the water heater. I dug out the camera and we watched the video. OK, I think we have it. OK, maybe not. OK, we got it. Well, what happens if the water heater is on, but no water is in it? Is water in it? It is not running inside. Turn it back off. OK, how do you fill the water heater? Where is the water heater? Why didn't the guy tell us this? OK, we found the water heater. How do you fill it? OK, got it full. OK, light it. Is it supposed to blow full blast like that? OK, lets make sure it does shut off after the water is hot. OK, it did, we are fine. I think/I hope. Should we pray?

Furnace is working fine. YAY heat!!! OK, let's switch the fridge to electric. He didn't tell me how. Luckily there are instructions. OK, knob A is only marked gas, the electric marking has rubbed off. Or did it. Must have rubbed off. Let's set it to electric. This may have been a mistake. We had cereal for a snack and went to bed. Next day had milk with breakfast and it was nice and cold. Had burgers for lunch and they were frozen solid. We grilled fish for dinner, but I think they were not so solid frozen, but did not pay attention. Sunday morning, the fridge was warm and everything was bad. I did salvage the cinammon rolls and we had those for breakfast. Not sure if the electric ever worked or if it stopped working or if it was a voltage issue. Not sure. Any ideas on how to find out? I turned it back to propane and the freezer got cold, but not sure about the frige. As I am cleaning it today, I will turn it to propane and see what happens.

As for the rest of it, well we played musical beds somewhat. The original plan was for the boys to be in the bunk beds, ds15 on top and ds7 on the bottom, the girls in the small bunk end and dh and I on the other. ds15 tried to the top bunk the night before we left and he did not fit. It is really small. I will post a picture in my homepage later today. So maybe ds7 will be on top. I will get the bedrail and put it up there so he does not roll out. I put it up there while packing and it is too tall. It hits the ceiling. OK, new plan. dd10 will be on top, ds15 on bottom and ds7, dd5, and dd3 in the bunk end. Gotta, good. We get there and it is quite chilly in that bunk end. ds15 doesn't like the fact that the first morning he is awoken by the littles. That is why he did not like the popup and wanted to top bunk. This night he decided to sleep in the bunk end, ds7 in the bottom bunk and we fold the u dinette into a bed for the younger girls. ds10 is still on top. Got it? Not sure I do. Well, he wakes up in the middle of the night because it is "raining" on him. I told him it was just condensation building up because of his breath and the heat inside and cold outside. He says "Mom, if it starts dripping on me, it becomes precipitation and that makes it RAIN!" OK, so having a genius for a son is not so good. LOL Anyway, it is about 1 or 2am. We move ds7 to the dinette with the little girls and ds15 moves back to the bottom. Does anyone follow me? OK, back to sleep for us all. How do we take care of the condensation?

OK after waking up to a fridge full of bad food, we decide to leave tonight (Sunday) instead of tomorrow. We go to do the pedal boats. She can only find one key and doesn't think the canoe is there. We get our life jackets on head to the lake. The canoe is there as well as the two pedal boats that no one can use because they can't find the keys. ds15 goes back to get the key to the canoe as well as paddles. The paddles he brings back look like they go to a kids boat. Anyway, the canoe is filled with water. We dump it out and get in. dh has dd10, ds7 and dd5 with him in the pedal boat and ds15 and I sit dd3 in the middle of the canoe. She is the stillest of all of them, so she won't rock the boat. We did fine. dh had returned to shore with ds7 because he was scared and flippin out. He has some sensory issues and is not good in unfamiliar territory. dd10 and dd5 took the pedal boat back out and then called out for help in the middle of the lake because they could not go any more. ds and I canoed to them, grabbed their boat and brought them back to the dock. dh and dd10 then took the canoe out. ds7 wanted to go, but I told him it was not a good idea. If he got upset, he would flip the canoe. Well, they flipped it over anyway and dh got soaked. They were next to shore on the other side, so dd10 managed to jump to the shore and stay dry.

We went back to the camper, had lunch (the burgers will still slightly frozen) and then started packing up. Your tips on folding up the bunkends were awesome. I found the bungee and the tenting stayed nice and neat. It folded like a dream. While we waited for dh that night to do his service for his soldiers before we went home, the kids and I sat in the camper and played cards. It was nice. We had the u dinette and the bottom bunk switched to the 2 seat dinette. We had snacks and were able to have 2 games going. The heater was on and it was nice. w/o the tip on the tenting bungee cord, we could not have used the dinette with it closed up. Thanks.

I now have to go clean her up and put her back at the storage lot. Thank you all for all of your tips. Other than the fridge thing, this trip was a success!!!

Oh, sorry so long winded, just had a fun trip and wanted to share.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sounds like a good first trip other than the frig. Hum I wonder what happened. Our 05' we have the automatic double door upgrade model. When I say automatic you just have to slide a switch to either gas or electric. In the gas mode it will light itself. If in the electric mode and the power goes out it will switch itself to gas. That has happened to us a few times where we had low voltage or lost power at a campground. When you say that where it should say "electric" is rubbed off, is that on the inside of the frig or in the outside access panel? There should be a forum on IRV2 that you can post to see your possible problem.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote