Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Replacing Floor in Hybrid TT

I tried to post this in another thread but it was too old and I have to create a new thread. Lol, so remember to always copy your post BEFORE you hit enter.

The thread I was replying to was here: How I reinforced floor from above

I've noticed a couple of areas on my floor where the linoleum has taken on a grey tinge. One area is a line going across my trailer hallway. It looks like a joint of the plywood underneath and it has now become soft when walking on it.

My concern is that black mold is starting to come through the floor from a slow leak over the years but it just may be the nature of the linoleum.

The other area in under a window in about the same area. It's not a walkable area.

The thread I posted above has really helped in solving how to replace the wood underneath without having to lift up all the affixed furniture. The areas under the seating looks good anyways. As far as the linoleum goes, I'm probably just going to replace it with some new tiles so I won't have to worry too much about using the floor pattern for that part.

I'll document the work too for anyone else contemplating replacing parts of the floor.

-Rainer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What unit do you have? age? On the under side of the trailer, does it have any kind of covering?

On our 2005 hybrid, I did notice a little "weeping" around some of the edges of the linoleum causing a small bit of dis-coloring. No soft spots..Mostly inside the front storage bay that ran across the front floor area of the unit.

Some of that I attribute to traveling in driving rains and the water splashed up from the roadway getting into seams under the trailer.

With our newer 2013 hybrid, I'll take a peek inside the storage bays after again driving thru heavy rains.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Our unit is a 2002 21' Trail-Lite Bantam. It's in pretty good shape because I don't store it outside in the winter. The 'soft' spot is along the joint where we walk a lot. (I'll take a photo and upload it in my next post.) The grey discoloration became more noticeable this year. In the other area under the window, the corner of the linoleum has started to lift a little and that is where I will start.

There is also a little discoloration in the front storage bays and I had attributed that to grime & dirt but maybe it's the nature of the linoleum to discolor with water.

I took a quick look under the trailer and there seems to be a metal cover. The grey holding tank is right under the affected area.

We didn't use our TT the past two years because the tranny was going in our vehicle and we didn't replace it until this year with a 2014 Hyundai XL. It tows beautifully btw.

Here is a photo just after I took it out of storage (the tires needed some air lol):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
What unit do you have? age? On the under side of the trailer, does it have any kind of covering?

On our 2005 hybrid, I did notice a little "weeping" around some of the edges of the linoleum causing a small bit of dis-coloring. No soft spots..Mostly inside the front storage bay that ran across the front floor area of the unit.

Some of that I attribute to traveling in driving rains and the water splashed up from the roadway getting into seams under the trailer.

With our newer 2013 hybrid, I'll take a peek inside the storage bays after again driving thru heavy rains.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Do you have the "Euro" type frame? or the "I" beam type frame. Our 05' hybrid had the Euro frame which in my opinion had too much space between supports that ran between the two frame rails. On our 2013 with the "I" beam frame the under side is concealed so I can't see how far the spacing is, but it feels 200% more solid when walking over it.

One of our friends had a soft floor issue. They cut out the floor in that spot and added more cross bracing. He also put down 5/8" plywood.

If your floor is like our 05' it is a sandwich of 3/16" wood with 1" or 2" of Styrofoam in between and another piece of 3/16" wood. This is all "bonded" together to form the floor. This is OK if, and I'll say with a big "IF" there is good support under it. But that is not the case. The manufactures cut weight with the light weight Euro frame and cross bracing too far apart.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

I'm not sure which one I have until I get under the trailer to have a better look. Or when I can start taking up the floor. Other than that one soft spot, the rest of the floor is pretty solid.

-R