Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
researching trailers to pull with my Kia

I've had a vintage 23 foot class C for the last few years and after putting a ton of money into making it roadworthy it's still old and ugly outside and outdated inside. I've finally been convinced that it would be better to find a much newer small towable for my 2005 Kia Sedona. I'm looking at a one owner 1998 25 foot aerolite with a dry weight of 2750. This is well below the 3500 pounds my van is rated for. Also like a 19 ft 2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport though it weighs more at 2935. I haven't towed in probably ten years but do like the lower initial cost and being able to sight see in an economical vehicle. I'm getting too old to mess with pop-ups and don't want a hybrid as I enjoy cold weather camping. I need to sleep 2 if I bring my Mother along and want one bed (or bunk) that remains a bed all the time and a real shower instead of a wet bath. Any other model ideas would be appreciated as would info on what kind of hitch and accessorys to put on the Kia. Thanks in advance for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I'm looking at a one owner 1998 25 foot aerolite with a dry weight of 2750. This is well below the 3500 pounds my van is rated for. Also like a 19 ft 2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport though it weighs more at 2935.
First off

I'm going to assume the Kia is a V-6. First off the 25' Aerolite is out of the question. The dry weight with a air conditioner, awning plus any other options is pushing you over 3k. Now you have not even loaded it yet. Plus the suspension on that type is too soft. The hitch weight would be too much. We have a 25' Aerolite hybrid with a dry weight of 3700 without options. I pack light and should be at about 4500 or 4600 loaded with gear. We pull ours with a Toyota SUV with a V-8. I would double check to see what hitch weight your Kia can handle. I'm going to assume 300 or 350 lbs. The trailer is going to be 500 or more....of hitch weight.

I would double check the dry weight for that 98' Aerolite. My brochure for 05' models has the weight for the 24' (non-hybrid) TT at 4,000 dry...something is not right. Now the 05' 17' hybrid comes in at 2700 dry.....even that is pushing it with your Kia....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
350 hitch weight, I just checked but don't know exactly what that means. Also does it matter how much weight is in the van itself? I removed the rear seats so was planning to carry some cargo (tools, dog crate, etc) in there. Usually its just me and 60 pounds of pooches. What dry weight limit should I try to look for in a towable?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

We looked at the same question at the beginning of last season. It doesn't fly. You will end up putting around 1000 pounds on top of that empty weight without any trouble at all. First thing to check is how much of the "optional" items aren't included in the EW. You'll be gob-smacked. Things like the kitchen, the propane tanks, the furnace can all be "extras" even though you can't buy the trailer without them.

I got really ticked off when I found that the rated towable weight for the UK-market Sedona 1s 3000 Kg (6600 pounds) and the one I saw the rating for had a 2.7L diesel, not the 3.5L V-6 we have in this country.

Back in the late 1950s, my uncle towed a 20' TT all over Europe with an Austin Cambridge sedan - 60 hp on a really good day. So, climbing the Swiss Alps was a struggle, but they made it (several times) and had a wonderful 20 years with the same TT and two later, slightly more powerful cars. That old Austin was so knackered after 40,000 miles he had to throw it away!

We gave up and bought a nice used '02 Georgetown 325 Class A. We love it, despite an 8 mpg average. It's a lot better than our late but not lamented 26' Class c with a caburated Ford 460 that got 6 mpg at sea level and considerably less in the mountains. There's a lot of mountain driving around here.

If you persevere, you might luck into something that will work. There are some innovative lightweight TTs coming into the market place. We decided we didn't want to wait.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. First off, do not believe anything the dealer will tell you about towing. The Sedonia is a small or minivan and may be rated to pull a max of 3500# if all you have in the van is a 150# driver.

I'd look at the Casitas or Scamps.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I checked again, The Aerolite is 2850 pounds. It is only 7 foot wide, the newer ones are 8, maybe thats the difference. I've seen other brands of 2011 that weigh less than 2500, I just hate to buy new and lose money on the first trip. Thanks so much for all the help.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You are saying that Aerolite is 2850#, is that dry? Dry is before propane, A/C, awning, microwave.....etc. All those accessories will add weight. There should be a sticker on that Aerolite with what it weighed when it left the factory with the accessories on it & also a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) = what it can weigh loaded. What are those numbers?

Do you know what your Kia weighs loaded ready for travel? Full tank of gas, you, cargo, travelling companions...etc.

HERE's a website you can use to calculate what you can tow. It was authored by one of our members who knows his stuff.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wow good thing this was clarified, i thought he asked what trailers would pull the kia

could help myself at all
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
350 hitch weight, I just checked but don't know exactly what that means
The hitch weight limit is what weight is allowed on your ball of the trailer you are to tow. Also items put inside the van will reduce that even more.

On our 05" Aerolite the brochure lists it at 3700#. Inside the first cabinet there is a weight sticker as to what it left the factory at. That one is like #3900 something. That includes factory installed options: awning, air conditioner, DSI upgraded water heater, larger frig and a few other do-dad's....

I Googled your vehicle...Yes, towing 3500, but couldn't find a hitch weight limit. There were a bunch of sites where they installed hitches. Most were doing ones with a 350 limit for the hitch weight.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for all your help and I did listen, don't want to kill my Kia just yet. I think I've found the perfect solution for $10,000 brand new. This is the midsized model, there are three that weigh under 3000 pounds. This is the Jayco Jay flight swift SLX 154 BH with a dry weight of 2480 and a hitch weight of 295. Does anybody know what I'll need to install on my van to pull this safely?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's more like it. I'm going to assume that the 154 & 184 are single axle trailers. The double axle trailers will handle better. Going on Jayco's website for that SLX 154 I notice the fresh water tank is only 16 gallons. That is really small. The next floorplan up the 184BH has a 26 gallon fresh, 15 gray and 9 black....The 154 does have a nice amount of counter space for a 18' trailer. On the 184 you gain a couch, but loose a little counter space. It didn't say what size the couch is. Ours is long enough to lay down on, and most evenings that's where I end up, watching TV or reading the paper.

If you plan on taking showers, I think you said you were traveling single, you might stretch it 2-3 days....(showers)...that 15 gallon gray tank will fill up real fast. We have a 46 fresh and 34 gray. We can get 12 showers (3 people @ 4 days or stretch it 5 if need be) It's our gray that fills up before we run out of water.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I went back and forth between the 154 qnd 184 and the counter space, pantry, and larger clothing closet was more important to me than the sofa. I tend to hang out at the table with the laptop, craft or jigsaw puzzle. Also like the lower weight of the 154. I do tend to use campground showers, I just like the option of a quick inside shower or a place to freshen up a dog before a show.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
that will work.....the outside of the trailer is ribbed aluminum, which is a little harder to keep clean. But to keep the price-point down for the SLK's that is why...I think counter space and the amount of cabinets was the main item when we bought our floorplan....I have not seen a 24-25' tt with anywhere near the amount we have....

Actuallly Aerolite was bringing out a new floorplan in their hybrid line for March (232E) that I want to see....It has the kitchen and couch in the slide in a 25' tt. I was going to call Dutchman today to see when they are going out to the dealers.....

Getting back to the fresh water for the shower....Most of the nights, me and kid take a shower at the state park showerhouse and the wifey loves the trailer shower....But I have been taking more in the trailer the last few years...