Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Rockwood Roo Good or Bad?

I really like the looks of the Rockwood Roos (especially the 23SS). I did some research and found a website where people were really unhappy with them - they complained about leaks, tires, axles - you name it. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about them before I rule them out and move on to the Jayco's. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #2

not sure where you're reading about leaky Roos.
i've had my Roo 23SS for over 5 years now and no leaks.

every hybrid brand has models that leak.

most of us that don't have problems, don't post things like: "i've had my hybrid for 5 years and never had a leak!"

i can find you owners of Jayco, Roo, Coyote, Kodiak, Cub, Starcraft, Fleetwood, Trail-Lite hybrids that had leakage issues.
that's because i've been on hybrid forums for the past 6 years and have read complaints about every brand.
generally, the newer hybrids have most of the issues of the early versions, worked out.
like better seals, better latching systems, better canvas attachments, better rain gutters and so on.

RV forums are full of people with issues and problems. those that don't have any, rarely post about that fact.

post your question at RV.net's Hybrid forum, Hybrid Explorer, Forest River Forum's Hybrid section for some feedback from Roo owners.

that said, the Jayco 23J is a copy of the 23SS. also, Palomino's Stampede 238 and Keystone's Passport Express 235EXP are also copies of the 23SS.
all are very good hybrids and you won't go wrong with any of them, if you decide against the Roo.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Good to know, thanks. I did wonder about that, most people post complaints, not kudos. I think I've pretty much decided that a Roo is right for my family - thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We had a 05' Aerolite Cub for 7 seasons...Very happy with it....And yes,,we didn't expedience any leaks. After about 380 nights of usage, we went ahead and bought another Aerolite hybrid.

They came out with a new floor plan last summer 232E that looks almost like the Roo 23ss. In Feb. we ordered a 2012 and ended up getting a 2013' March 31st. 2013 pictures So far very pleased with the fit & finish. It has a 52 gallon fresh water tank. The 05' had a 46 gallon. That is huge for a 25' tt. Watch the Jayco's because most have a 22 gallon fresh....That was a deal killer for even thinking about any floor plan in the Jayco line. We take a lot of 7 nights stays in one spot. Or dry camp for 4 days where a 46 or 52 offer plenty of water for showers, bathroom, dishes and hand washing....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #5

Superslif, good to know about the new floorplan.
Kodiak and Cub used to have the same floorplans.
but in recent years, they've dropped a number of floorplans and no longer make twins of each others.

the 232E is a definite copy of the 23SS. does it have pre-attached canvas or are they still using the snap/bungee system for the canvas ends.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Superslif, good to know about the new floorplan.
Kodiak and Cub used to have the same floorplans.
but in recent years, they've dropped a number of floorplans and no longer make twins of each others.
Your right...When we bought our 05' Aerolite they had 10 hybrid floor plans. The last couple of years they have had only 3....The 232E has very deep cabinets. When all told we thought we had a super amount of storage in our 05' Aerolite #236, but after my DW finished loading the new one up. we have extra room....

Quote:
the 232E is a definite copy of the 23SS. does it have pre-attached canvas or are they still using the snap/bungee system for the canvas ends.
The 13' Aerolite has pre-attached bunk material...if it involves taking out the bed bows and the mattresses to close the unit up, that will be a downgrade in my to me...The 05' everything stayed put. Yes the material on the 05' had velcro to attach the material...no big deal....

Would have never considered any of the floor plans the last few years, most didn't have slides. The 232E with the couch & kitchen slide plus the 52 gallon fresh was deal seller....
Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

I LOVE your new camper - it's beautiful! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to get into mine!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Like I said we use ours a lot. I usually take 5 or 6 weeks of vacation in the summer...have not stayed home from vacation in 15 years....In our 05' with 380 nights of use, it came down to about $23 per night of ownership, minus insurance, and maintenance costs ( 4 new tires, 2 batteries and maybe $40 in oddball items, and about 1 gallon of wax )

You can see we like state parks and relaxing Relaxing pic #1 Kayak pic (DW) Hiking did I say relaxing this is my favorite way to relax picking berries
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

I have a 2011 Shamrock 19 - twin of the Roo 19.

We are very happy, no issues at all.

Take all those comments on the 23SS with a grain of salt. It is one of the best value and more popular model. If you shop around, you can get a great deal on one.

Consider this: An upset customer will tell 5 people, while a happy customer will tell no one.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
We've had our Roo 233S since last October, and we're very happy with it.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #11

Awesome - good to know, thanks everyone. I went to look at an Aerolite this weekend and the salesman told me to be careful because if there are bear sightings at campsites, they won't let you camp with a hybrid. I pm'd Superslif and he set me straight - I thought it was a silly statement. Going shopping this weekend too - can't wait - it's so much fun!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcameron5021 View Post
I went to look at an Aerolite this weekend and the salesman told me to be careful because if there are bear sightings at campsites, they won't let you camp with a hybrid.
that's the kind of BS that salesmen say to get you to look at a more expensive RV.

there is only ONE campground that i've ever seen posted, that has a permanent ban on soft-side campers. that's Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone NP.

popups and hybrids can camp at all the other campground in the Park.

i have challenged anyone to post a campground with a similar permanent ban, for the past 6 years on all 6 RV forums i frequent.

no one has taken the challenge yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's the kind of BS that salesmen say to get you to look at a more expensive RV.

there is only ONE campground that i've ever seen posted, that has a permanent ban on soft-side campers. that's Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone NP.

popups and hybrids can camp at all the other campground in the Park.

i have challenged anyone to post a campground with a similar permanent ban, for the past 6 years on all 6 RV forums i frequent.

no one has taken the challenge yet.
There are a few campgrounds in Western Canada with similar policies. They have sites in areas where bears are known and free to roam around, they will not accept pop-ups, hybrids or tents in those sections. For them they have sites sectionned off with fences.

Less than a handful, so it really is non-issue.

This salesperson probably camps in a conversion armored truck
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcameron5021 View Post
the salesman told me to be careful because if there are bear sightings at campsites, they won't let you camp with a hybrid.
I was told the same thing by a sales person here in Texas. He was referring to Texas campsites. I think he thought I wanted to camp at a zoo.

In any case, I have a 2012 Rockwood Roo 21ss and love it. So far no issues. Construction seems solid compared to a lot of others I have been in/looked at. I would defiantly recommend it.