Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Roof Rafter Locations

Hello All,
I own a 2011 Kodiak 210es Hybrid. I want to install a power fan roof vent in the main living area. The problem is that there is not an existing roof vent anywhere in the living area just in the bathroom. All the how to articles out there tell/show you how to install one in an existing location. The dealer wants about $600.00 parts and labor way to much for me (and i really don't trust them). I'm confident and comfortable doing the entire job myself, just worried about where those roof trusses are located. Has anyone installed a new one? I'm thinking the Fan-tastic fan is the best choice is this true? Any help is greatly appreciated.
eyoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Question for you.
We now have a 05' Aerolite hybrid that has 2 roof vents. Today we just put a deposit down on a 12' Aerolite hybrid. I noticed it only had one roof vent in the bathroom. Nothing in the main living area. Earlier in the week I asked the factory rep. why only one vent. He said that is the new trend in tt's (less vents).

Have you owned the 2011 Kodiak long enough to see a need for a vent in the main living room?

Or 05' has a very flat roof. Does your 11' also have a flat roof?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you look real close at your ceiling; you should be able to see where the ceiling material was fastened to the rafters (Staples covered with some sort of filler) , guessing about 16"O/C.
I would use that as a guide for placement, center it, then do an exploratory cut to see what is up there. Be careful of wiring for lights and A/C duct if any.
Fantastic Fan would be a good choice.
I've never done one but if I was going to; that is what I would do.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey John...a guess were now both waiting for our new units to be built...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Yes i have owned it for a full years worth of camping and it gets real hot inside and dark, adding a second vent will help with the lighting also. Yes its a flat rubber roof system. This is our first travel trailer, we had pop-ups before.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would just hate cutting a hole in a newer RV's roof. But, if you do what Woodburner says and start from the inside you could probably feel the ceiling material give between the supports. If I remember from the RV show we were looking at the new 2012 Kodiak 279's and they had ducted ceilings. But, the hybrids did not, thus the flat roof.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just saw a lite weight with the rood off for repairs. There war lots of Styrofoam and very few roof rafters. Made you wonder what held the roof up. It was a North Trail.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Many roof assemblies are laminated and have very few supports. If this is the case you wont see any staple marks on ceiling. Also if is laminated and you fine wires they will be in groves or tracks in foam core. Getting power to the vent will be the next problem. If you wires in ceiling they will most likely be lighting wires. If that is the case fan would only work with the light on. Good luck the $600 might be the better route.
Headtrustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use a stud finder that will detect both wood or metal studs.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

I will try the stud finder idea. I was talking to a person at the michigan camper show and this is what he told me about this. They unscrew one of the ceiling lights around the area that the vent will be installed and they unscrew that light from the ceiling. Using a fish tape they stick it in the wiring hole and feel for a rafter and thats how they locate rafters. They will also run the vent fan wiring this way also. They run the wiring to the inside cieling cabinet where no one will see the run. Does this sound like a good plan? Thank you for all your help, its turely a blessing to me!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoke View Post
Yes i have owned it for a full years worth of camping and it gets real hot inside and dark, adding a second vent will help with the lighting also. Yes its a flat rubber roof system. This is our first travel trailer, we had pop-ups before.
It's funny how as time goes on and you buy bigger newer rigs there are certain things you automatically look for.

I'll bet your next RV will have roof vents where you want them!

I had a travel trailer that had a slide out over top of the sewer connections. Never again. Was a pain to get to with the slide out.

Beds have to be in the middle so you're not crawling over each other.

Live and learn.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I put a roof vent in a prior trailer to get some light into the rear too. As others have said watch for wires..there were more there than I thought. Also good comments on ac ducts, mine had none. It's a little scarey making the first cut, but really a simple thing to do. Use the proper sealer under vent flange, and dicor over top when done. My rafters were spaced so the vent fit well inbetween.

Tags
roof