Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
I normally donít enter discussions about small trailer tires. There really isnít much to do when problems arise except go up a load range or size - room permitting.
I do belong to and read a lot of other forum information. In the reference provided below you may find some answers and you will surely get lotís of comments.

USN - RET - PDRL - Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Before we took off to New Mexico year before last, I went by my local "trusted" tire dealer to seek out new LT tires for the 34' 7800# TT. He recommended Hi-Runs (China); I balked at first, but he told me that in two years of selling them, he had no complaints or returns. So, trusting him, that is what we bought. So far, they are the BEST trailer tire I have ever used.

There are several things that can effect tire longevity and performance:
1-Air pressure, of course must be maintained to recommended specs.
2-A good visual inspection before "taking off"; you could have a small cut
from a piece of road debris and if you had a failure, the first thing you do
is to blame the tire.
3-Your hitch setup and ride angle is vital to good tire life; pulling with an
uneven trailer angle will put "several" hundred pounds of pressure on the
trailing axle set.
4-Watch the road, a lot of people act like if it is laying in the road, they
must run over it....potholes, rocks, debris, etc. These things will break
a belt, or otherwise weaken the internal construction of the tire.
5-NEVER "hit the highway" with cold tires; they need to warm up and settle
before getting up to highway speeds. Our morning routine always
includes 4 or 5 miles of local driving before we get back up to speed; if
you have a problem, you would much rather find out at 45 MPH vs. 65

I find that a lot of complaints on different products can most times be traced back to a consumer that is negligent in either the application, treatment, or general use of the product. This is not to say that there is some "lesser quality" coming from overseas, but not all of it is. It would really surprise you if you found out about those good ol' MADE IN USA products that you swear by were actually manufactured in China and then repackaged here.

scgator / South Carolina
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
New tires

Well, I put new tires on my camper, after much research decided on putting the same tire on that was already on, Power King. I figured if they lasted since 2005 they are pretty good tires. First trip out after tires replaced, I got a flat. Good thing we were at a rest area, and not on the freeway! Long story short, I called AAA, they put my spare tire on, and I finished my trip with no more problems. Took camper back in to have tire fixed, got back out to storage facility and same tire was almost flat again. needless to say, not happy! Stopped and put air in said tire, and could hear air leaking from the stem. Tightened the stem, and returned back to tire place. 20 miles away... Left trailer there, and will get a new tire out of it, as well as a discount on a new spare, also reimbursement for gas. Guess it pays to be forceful when it comes to stuff like this!
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
I heard good things about the Khumo 857 - a trailer tire made in Korea.

Probably worth having a look.

Kumho*Radial 857
miatared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Nah, don't think it's the tire, think it's the install. Bad valve stem....

hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote