Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

RVing in the winter

Hi all!
I am planning on buying an RV to use as I go on the road as a travelling temp worker. I live in Pennsylvania, so I will need to travel south for the winter.
So, my question is, which eastern states would be good options for me?
Unfortunately FL and TN are ruled out due to state licensing requirements.
This basically leaves me with Georgia and South Carolina, (or getting a state license in FL). Is NC also an option? There are RV parks there that are open year round. I don't mind cold weather, but I don't want to have to worry about pipes freezing or other issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Good luck in your search for a 4 season RV.
For any type of cold weather you'll want heated tanks and good insulation values. Don't know how many lightweight RVs meet those requirements.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

RVing in the winter

Don't forget the rest of the south and southwest. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California would all be O.K. weather wise. I'm not sure how far west you want to go, but the weather in those states should be O.K., especially if you keep south or out of the mountains.

Your other concern is finding a campground when you are competing with snowbirds.
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You posted in the hybrid / light weight section. What RV are you thinking about? I would rule out a hybrid. We're on our 2nd hybrid but our next RV trailer will be more 4 season usable. But we have camped where it was in the upper 20's at night.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Tested my coach to -5 degrees. You will need to be meticulous in seeking out plumping vulnerabilities and insulating them. Check holding tanks for insulation. Upgrade basement heating around holding tank valves. Use copious amount of salt in tanks to prevent freezing. Never leave dump valves open. Fortunately my fresh water tank was positioned well away from any place the cold could get to it. Also may need upgraded all the furnace duct work and insulate it. You will need heat-tape for your campground waterline and do not leave and any water or waste standing in your dump hose. A lot of work for sure. You may decide it would be easier to drive further south
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

I suppose I may have posted in the wrong section. I was looking at a Forest Rivers travel trailer, dry weight ~6900 lbs. It is a 4 season trailer, has enclosed/heated holding tanks, R-12 floor and R-14 ceiling insulation. I would rather travel further than have to worry about pipes freezing especially at first since I will have enough to learn as a new RVer.
But what about fall travel? Would a Sep/Oct/Nov trip have a lot of options?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbrevo View Post
I suppose I may have posted in the wrong section. I was looking at a Forest Rivers travel trailer, dry weight ~6900 lbs. It is a 4 season trailer, has enclosed/heated holding tanks, R-12 floor and R-14 ceiling insulation. I would rather travel further than have to worry about pipes freezing especially at first since I will have enough to learn as a new RVer.
But what about fall travel? Would a Sep/Oct/Nov trip have a lot of options?
Yes, September, October and November have lots of options. Until you get far north most campgrounds remain open.

What is your tow vehicle? As a new RVer you need to find out about weight distribution hitches, brake controllers, tongue weights and a whole host of other things.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

I haven't purchased a tow vehicle yet, wating to but the RV first.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbrevo View Post
I haven't purchased a tow vehicle yet, wating to but the RV first.
There are a couple of reasons you want to have the tow vehicle (TV) when you purchase the camper.

1) you need the TV to tow the camper home.

2) You need the TV for the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). The PDI will include instruction on how to hook up your trailer, both tho the tow vehicle and at the campground.

It sounds like you are looking at a 30' +/- trailer, based on the unloaded weight. If it's just you, that's a big rig. The wife and I traveled from Florida to Yellowstone via South Dakota a couple of years ago in a 26' trailer and felt we had plenty of space. Of course you sound like you'll be setting up housekeeping for awhile, so extra space will come in handy. At any rate, given the weight of your trailer, you'll be looking at something like an F-150 or equivalent Dodge or Chevy, or a Ford Expedition/Chevy Suburban/Yukon Denali type of vehicle. These have between 6,000-9,000 pounds max towing capacity, depending on options (I recommend you choose a TV with manufacturer's Heavy Duty towing package, it's worth it.).

Tags
rving, winter