Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM   #1

My wife and I took our collapsible HiLo trailer for our week-end pilgrimage to the ski area. We pull in, parked, blocked the tires, disconnected, opened the trailer door, flipped up the black main power rocker switch, and... nothing. DOA., No lights, no lift hydraulics, nothing. It had worked fine two hours ago at home. Hmmm, the fridge is still on on DC, and no check light. So it's probably not the batteries. We plugged into AC and the microwave came on. Everything else is still DOA. So, the problem must be the wiring or the rocker switch. No problem, plenty of room in the lowered trailer to work on it. The wife retreats to the warm truck.

Let's see, the special square-drive is in the storage under the front window. You got it. Only accessible when the trailer is up. And I can't easily raise it without power. Not too smart of me. I checked fellow campers and no one had a square drive. To the manual lift, Robin! I'm glad I practiced manually lifting the trailer once in the driveway at home and lined up the collar on the manual lift. After about ten minutes of pumping, the top was high enough for me to get to the front storage area inside. Three screws and the cover was off. There was the one wire that had come out from under the wirenut. A quick twist and WE HAD POWER. I finished raising the trailer, turned on the heat, and called the wife. Well, I'm glad I didn't hit the gym that morning. And I'm sure the family in the posh Class A next door had a good show.

NOTE TO SELF: Keep an extra square-drive in the truck. Done.

Bruce
2703C HiLo Trailer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM   #2

My wife and I took our collapsible HiLo trailer for our week-end pilgrimage to the ski area. We pull in, parked, blocked the tires, disconnected, opened the trailer door, flipped up the black main power rocker switch, and... nothing. DOA., No lights, no lift hydraulics, nothing. It had worked fine two hours ago at home. Hmmm, the fridge is still on on DC, and no check light. So it's probably not the batteries. We plugged into AC and the microwave came on. Everything else is still DOA. So, the problem must be the wiring or the rocker switch. No problem, plenty of room in the lowered trailer to work on it. The wife retreats to the warm truck.

Let's see, the special square-drive is in the storage under the front window. You got it. Only accessible when the trailer is up. And I can't easily raise it without power. Not too smart of me. I checked fellow campers and no one had a square drive. To the manual lift, Robin! I'm glad I practiced manually lifting the trailer once in the driveway at home and lined up the collar on the manual lift. After about ten minutes of pumping, the top was high enough for me to get to the front storage area inside. Three screws and the cover was off. There was the one wire that had come out from under the wirenut. A quick twist and WE HAD POWER. I finished raising the trailer, turned on the heat, and called the wife. Well, I'm glad I didn't hit the gym that morning. And I'm sure the family in the posh Class A next door had a good show.

NOTE TO SELF: Keep an extra square-drive in the truck. Done.

Bruce
2703C HiLo Trailer

Old 01-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #3

So, is it funny for you yet or are you still to p#ssed off to laugh?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #4

Still laughing. Heck, I even laugh about the time the trailer began to slide off of the blocks (we pushed camping in a bad spot) and I JUST got the truck bumper under the front trailer hitch as it went down. Even the emergency brake wouldn't hold the trailer (pulling the cable was the first thing I did when I heard the chocks squeeking as the tires moved). Thankfully we hadn't set the trailer up and no one was inside. It didn't damage the bumer, and only bent one landing jack (nothing a few minutes with the hammer couldn't fix).

I'm a stoic: what happens happens. Deal with it. That's what RV-ing is all about, right?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #5

Just be thankful you knew what to do. I know enough just to be dangeours, good at everything great at nothing.

dw(61)
Wolfe59 is offline   Reply With Quote