Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #1

Currently we don't own a trailer, but it's certainly not from lack of trying. We are, however, avid campers (been tenting for over 10 years now). Time marches on and catches up to you eventually, so it's become apparent that it's now time to get up off the ground. What *I* really want is a 12' PU, because to me that's still camping at least, but with a wife and 3 daughters who seem to feel less like I do we've been thinking about skipping over the PU and going right to a hybrid.

I've been doing research on the web, reading forums and going to RV shows so I think I have a handle on what we want and what to look for. During the cold winter months we're going to start making some visits to local dealers (wonder how they're gonna feel about setting up a hybrid outside in the middle of a New Jersey winter? ). While gathering information about what we want to see, and where we can see it, we have been using the Dealer Locator feature of their web pages. Except for 1; R-Vision. Seems they don't HAVE that feature, even though they prominently display the line "Test drive and review a current model on your local dealer's lot today" on the bottom of just about every page you go to (floorplans, interior pictures, etc). AAMOF, there isn't even a Contact Us link anywhere, so you can't even call them on the phone or send an email to ask where a dealer is!

Is this some type of a sign I should be paying attention to? Are they such a poor company that they actually need to hide? In going over past posts I seem to have run into strong love/hate feelings about them. Has anyone heard if they're in financial trouble or something? I know they have inexplicably stopped some of there internet push to go back to the 1980's way of doing business, but this is ridiculous. Seems to me that if you were proud of your products that you'd WANT people to know where they are.

So, is it just my perception, or is intuition telling me something I should be listening to?

Chevy Silverado 2500HD (with lots of mods)
No camper yet, but looking real hard!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM   #2

Currently we don't own a trailer, but it's certainly not from lack of trying. We are, however, avid campers (been tenting for over 10 years now). Time marches on and catches up to you eventually, so it's become apparent that it's now time to get up off the ground. What *I* really want is a 12' PU, because to me that's still camping at least, but with a wife and 3 daughters who seem to feel less like I do we've been thinking about skipping over the PU and going right to a hybrid.

I've been doing research on the web, reading forums and going to RV shows so I think I have a handle on what we want and what to look for. During the cold winter months we're going to start making some visits to local dealers (wonder how they're gonna feel about setting up a hybrid outside in the middle of a New Jersey winter? ). While gathering information about what we want to see, and where we can see it, we have been using the Dealer Locator feature of their web pages. Except for 1; R-Vision. Seems they don't HAVE that feature, even though they prominently display the line "Test drive and review a current model on your local dealer's lot today" on the bottom of just about every page you go to (floorplans, interior pictures, etc). AAMOF, there isn't even a Contact Us link anywhere, so you can't even call them on the phone or send an email to ask where a dealer is!

Is this some type of a sign I should be paying attention to? Are they such a poor company that they actually need to hide? In going over past posts I seem to have run into strong love/hate feelings about them. Has anyone heard if they're in financial trouble or something? I know they have inexplicably stopped some of there internet push to go back to the 1980's way of doing business, but this is ridiculous. Seems to me that if you were proud of your products that you'd WANT people to know where they are.

So, is it just my perception, or is intuition telling me something I should be listening to?

Old 09-28-2003, 11:41 AM   #3

Click on "request a brochure" a form page comes up fill out and send, it has check boxes requesting location of nearest dealer. I find it no different than some others. May be a little more difficult to find, but I like to explore sites and with BB it's fast.

I do think it's not a smart move on their part to limit their dealers marketing but that will haunt them not me.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:55 PM   #4

Actually, R-Vision and the Trail Lite series invented the Hybrid camper! And they make one of the best products out there. I've only heard of a handful of people that had anything negative to say about their units (including one of our other moderators here). They came highly recommended to me from the editor of RV-News magazine, and he doesn't do that unless he's sure about things.

What you're running into on their website is a two pronged problem with them. First of all, the head honcho over at R-Vision is still living under a rock or in a cave or something. He hates the internet, and from what I've heard he'd rather the internet just disapear. For a while he tried to shut down wholesale dealers that used the internet to sell their product, and took tremendous heat for doing that. So much in fact, that not only did he reverse that policy, they even wound up redesigning and updating their website (previous website was terrible compared what the have today).

They do however, not list their dealer network on purpose. They'd rather you contact them directly, so they can then have the dealer contact you, or tell you where you can find the nearest dealer. If you fill in the info field for "request a brochure" the'll either send you the brochure or have a dealer contact you.

This is just poor marketing on their part, but rest assured the trailers are first rate!!! I know, I have an R-Vision "Trail Cruiser" C-23B and just love it!

Another thing you can do, is visit www.rvwholesalers.com and price some units out there. They have the best prices around on these trailers, and what they post on their website is EXACTLY what you pay (I bought mine from them, they are in Columbus Oh and I live in coastal Virginia). They might even be able to tell you who your local dealer is.

The other thing you could do is contact R-Vision by phone, they are located in Warsaw Indiana. Hope this helps!

Again, I highly recommend their trailers!

Read the RV-NEWS Article for deeper insight into their "Internet policy" and one of the reasons they changed their policy back to something closer to mainstream.

*Cliff*
2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping " net
Victory Lane Online
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #5

Geez Cliff, you're on more forums then even I am!

Old 09-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #6

Their website was absolutely horrible! I wrote them about a month ago requesting info on the Garage Model which, much to my dismay, had long been discontinued yet was still advertised on their site.

They have finally updated it I see. Looks a lot better now.

This "head honcho" better get out of the dark ages lest he be replaced by someone who values the power of the internet.

'99 Keystone Cabana 1700
'76 Starcraft Starmaster 8 (soon to be for sale)
'62 Me
'70 DW
'94 DD
'00 DD
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:41 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Miklas:
My personal opinion is: NOT!!! I owned one too and my experience with R-Vision's customer service was horrible. The trailer had a problem for which my dealer shipped it back to the factory twice for service. Neither time did the factory repair to my nor my dealer's satisfaction. After owning for 22 months, I dumped it in trade.

Buyer beware my friend.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah yes, I remember your story well. AAMOF, yours was one of the most frightening I have every heard anyone recount about a camper. Guess maybe that Mr. Bailey was in charge of Customer Service at the time...

Old 10-01-2003, 08:41 PM   #8

I've been nothing but pleased with my Bantam. It's taken a licking and is still like new after 4 years. Guess I got one with a strong floor... I'm 300 plus pounds (all muscle) and have yet to create a soft spot.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:45 AM   #9

Our 1998 Bantam has been great. Yes, their web site sucks, and they have bassackwards theories of marketing, but they do make a good trailer. I've only come across one person (who already posted above) who has had significant problems.

IMO, keep them on your list of RV's to check out, don't rule them out just because of their screwy internet presence.

dave.
Bantam 17
Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Buyer Beware is always the watchword when buying RVs. These units are hand build on an assembly line - so variations will happen from unit to unit. These are usually minor problems and can usually be fixed - some are hidden and take some time to show up - take time to look over the unit you indend to buy very carefuly. The biggest gotchas are engineering or design problems - these units are simply bad by design. Examples of this include weight ratings that are at the maximium ratings of springs and tires (no safety margin) axle placement, tank placement, frame construction, roof and end construction, etc. I also own a 1999 Trail Lite 7111 that has had only two leaks the first was a marker light that let water spill into the front bunk area and also soaked the foam inside the front panel. The second was from a seam that had thin caulking from the start and it finally let go during a major driving rainstorm and flooded the entire front panel area - cost me $2k to repair. This is one I probably should have caught. Otherwise I have had no problems. Some parting advise - when it comes to weights do the math ALL mfgs want to make the numbers look as light as possible by leaving off the weight of options and not including such things as the weight of a battery or LPG.

Good Luck

99 Tahoe 4x4 5.7L 3.73rear end
99 Trail Lite 7211
"Camping in the Pacific Northwest"
Old 10-27-2003, 03:22 AM   #11

We're finishing our second season in our 2003 C21RBH and love it, no problems. Had to take it to the dealer once because the hot water heater was smoking. Since it was under warranty, we didn't want to open it up to find out what the problem was. Turns out there was dust and cob webs in there. Dealer cleaned it out no charge.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #12

Jim,

This is probably coming in too late yo help you, but maybe someone else will see this and avoid an expensive mistake.

My wife and I bought a Trail Lite in May of 2000, and have had constant problems with it. Now less than four years old the holding tanks leak, the walls leak, and the frame is warped. RVision's response has been to blame us for all the problems.

My 1965 Airstream is in better shape despite years of abuse by the previous owner. And the aistream is worth restoring, unlike the Trail Lite. No since in putting money into a trailer with a warped frame, is there?

Some people report no problems with their RVision products. All i can say to anyone considering buying one is "Do you feel lucky?"
Old 12-16-2003, 12:27 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Miklas:
Darron, R-Vision's response to my wife and I were the same as their response to you. They blamed us for the faults of the trailer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, the warranty manager where I bought the Trail Lite told me the dealership only sells R-Vision products because the sales department loves them. The service department hates them due to all the problems they have, and R-Vision's attitude toward customer service.

My wife, son and I are leaving Northern California in a few days for a trip to Eastern Arizona. We're taking the 1965 Airstream because we have serious doubts the Trail Lite would make it there and back in one piece.

The worst part is that we passed on a used 30-foot Airstream when we bought the Trail Lite. The Airstream asking price was almost exactly what we put down on the Trail Lite. Live and learn.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:52 PM   #14

Hi and congrats on purchasing a new trailer. I have had a pu for about 3 years and IM looking to upgrade to a tt. The main reason I want to get rid of my pop up is because when you camp in the winter and you crank up the heater you will get condensation that forms on the inside of your tent which is over the bed. I talked to the dealer about this problem and they told me to place a blanket over the canvas. And yes this works but when IM sleeping I hated waking up about 3 in the morning steeping outside in cold weather to place a blanket over the canvas and then drying the inside with a towel. Good luck with what you buy. I wish I had this site before I bought the pu..

pete