Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Slide Covers

Picking up our TT Wed. the service manager says it is important to have a slide cover installed, I understand the reasons but the expense after paying cash for the TT is an issue, so is this something I can get away with for a season? I know to brush all the debris off before closing the slide etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #2

I installed the slide cover on my last 5er, after two seasons.
If your willing to do the cleaning , no harm in waiting.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

I have them and wouldn't pay extra to have them again.
1. Debris gets inside the cover and is hard to remove (first trip out a bird built a nest deep-in under the covers within 24hr.) 2.The wind caused the cover to flap and bang, very noisy. 3. The dealer will overcharge you by 20%-60% + the extra money financed.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have a small fold-able 3 step kitchen step stool I bough at a yard sale years ago for 50 cents I use with a telescoping handled brush to push off any leaves, twigs, water or pine needles that fall on top of the slide and the tent bunk ends. The telescoping pole might be a 10' one I bought at wally-World.

After a quick brush I'll then drape a old bath towel over the end of the brush and give it one more pass. No big deal. Since your also going to have to wipe down the bunk ends, it only takes another minute to do the slide.

Because many hybrid are not very tall in the first place, may not even allow enough room above the slide to install a topper. I see so many of them ( toppers) drooping after time. My parents have them on their pusher and are always working on them, adjusting the springs or replacing the fabric.

I would see if you had a 12' or 13' tall 5er and were up in age and didn't want to haul a tall ladder around. Yes, then a topper on your slides might be worth it for you, but otherwise I think for hybrid owners, there just too $$$$
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #5

Picked it up today and boy was there a ton of sales pressure going on before during and after the PDI service manager basically said if you don't buy a slide topper you will eventually ruin your slide I said if that is a problem why doesn't Forest River just include them. Anyways still left with a bag of toys...
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm sure with their pressure to sell their over-priced slide toppers, some people take them up on it. From your tag name, I'm going to assume your from Vermont. I don't think you will be doing any camp till April. We just winterized about 10 days ago near in NE. Ohio. Really wanted to get out for the Thanksgiving weekend, but the weather man said "No Way". So we put her to sleep till late March.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide