Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Starcraft ar-one 16bh

Any advice on this lightweight? I have a good deal but am unsure as I am a newbie. It has what I want minus a TV which I'm guessing is easy to add. Weekend trips with family and occasionally 4-5 nights with just me when I travel for work. I have plenty of towing power. If I am parked in a worksite with just household 15 amp service how limited would I be on AC or heat?

Thanks, Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #2

An AC unit is going to pull near 15A to begin with. So no go there.
Furnace is 12VDC power and LP so that'd be fine.

As with any trailer you'd need to look for rot, and proper functioning of all systems. I'd pay someone to PDI properly (pre delivery inspection) or get it in the deal. That includes checking brakes and lights, to roof sealer, water pipes, drain system, appliance function, charging, battery, and LP leaks.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are talking about a 16' or so trailer it will probably have an A/C unit of about 7000BTUH. This should work on 15 amps, but you can't run much else.

If you want to run the microwave, you will have to shut down the A/C. You can run a 1500 Watt electric heater, but nothing else.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the AC info, living in TN it will be running a lot in summer. I will check the AC unit and see how many amps it draws - hopefully it says. If not I will see what the btu's are.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My TT is a slightly smaller version of your contemplated TT purchase, and I use it the same way. The Starcraft AR-1 is not a particularly old model, and it sounds like it would work if the price is right for you.

We ran ours off house current all summer - parked it out by the back door and used it as a room addition when not camping. We had the regular 30 amp cord with the 15 amp converter plugged into an outside outlet of the house. The fridge runs off the electricity. I run my laptop through the interior TT outlet, and use the 12 volt lights at night

The top mount AC 3.5 BTU ran fine all summer. It takes very little time to get the TT to a good inside temperature. Now that it is colder, we fire up the LP for the furnace when needed for puttering around inside, but we don't keep it on most of the day like we did with the AC.

We did turn the AC off to run the microwave, but I only use the microwave to boil water for tea, or to warm up a plate of food or soup, so it didn't need to be off for long. I could have used the stove, but those items are heat and eat, so using the micro was more of a laziness issue.

We used our bedroom 19" flatscreen when we went camping, but really only used it for watching the weather channel before heading out to fish, and didn't even bring it for some trips. I was surprised at the great over the air channels we got using the basic Winegard antenna- we live in a low lying area and the TV normally picks up nothing.

So, it would seem that a worksite with 15 amp would be ok.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

agreed that the a/c should be less than 13.5k and should be able to run on a 15amp supply. make sure you don't have the water heater on electric.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Found out the unit is 5,000 BTU's and the sq footage is roughly 140. Any ideas if this is adequate?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

should easily run on 15amps. but you still should turn off other electric demands, if the a/c is working extra hard on real hot days.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

The unit is small so it will heat easy and cool easy. 5, 000 btu will also work fine to keep you cool. 15 amp will also work fine. I however agree, it is a good idea to only run either the A/C or the mico wave.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Any advice on this lightweight? I have a good deal but am unsure as I am a newbie. It has what I want minus a TV which I'm guessing is easy to add. Weekend trips with family and occasionally 4-5 nights with just me when I travel for work. I have plenty of towing power. If I am parked in a worksite with just household 15 amp service how limited would I be on AC or heat?

Thanks, Dave
We just bought this exact trailer and love it! Plug it in at home and use AC just fine...but not at same time as microwave. Got nice and cool quickly.
Schafkc is offline   Reply With Quote