Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #1

Hi folks,

I am a former Hilo owner, soon to be one again, hopefully - long story for another post. I'm also back to the forum after a hiatus of a couple of years.

How do you Hilo owners handle storage in your Hilo of your normal camping inventory items? Where do you keep clothing? Where do you put away the bedding during the day? What about all your camper tools and assundry accessories like double extra flashlight batteries etc? Or that portable barbecue? Where do you store all your food?

I really look forward to getting into a Hilo again and even though I understand that storage is not great compared to regular TTs, it sure is better than my old Apache popup style camper.

As a point of reference, I am now considering an older Hilo classic, 1984, that's in pretty good shape. It has a front lounge, side dinette, opposite the kitchen and a rear washroom.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #2

Hi folks,

I am a former Hilo owner, soon to be one again, hopefully - long story for another post. I'm also back to the forum after a hiatus of a couple of years.

How do you Hilo owners handle storage in your Hilo of your normal camping inventory items? Where do you keep clothing? Where do you put away the bedding during the day? What about all your camper tools and assundry accessories like double extra flashlight batteries etc? Or that portable barbecue? Where do you store all your food?

I really look forward to getting into a Hilo again and even though I understand that storage is not great compared to regular TTs, it sure is better than my old Apache popup style camper.

As a point of reference, I am now considering an older Hilo classic, 1984, that's in pretty good shape. It has a front lounge, side dinette, opposite the kitchen and a rear washroom.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #3

Hi Bazimars. I see you're "making the rounds"....

The DW & have a '98 TowLite, 18TD. The '84 you're considering sounds very similar to mine floorplan-wise. We use sleeping bags for bedding. During the day they get rolled up & put inside the wetbath (which is only used for "small" jobs in the middle of the night). Clothing is kept primarily in 2 large plastic tubs inside the wardrobe cabinet (I removed the hanging bar as we don't bring "good" clothes camping). Food is kept in the fridge as well as 1 or 2 coolers (depending upon length of trip). Miscellaneous "stuff" is kept in the TT inside plastic containers (which I sized & bought to fill every nook & cranny) or in the bed of the truck (lockable, fiberglass cap). Good luck!

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #4

We own a 27' Classic, so storage isn't a problem for us. From the posts I've read on the Yahoo HiLo group, many people store stuff in storage tubs they move around (store in the bath like BPF), or in the swing-down bunk if you have that option.

Welcome back, and Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #5

I have not been on the msg. board in some time and hope my comments will be of help to someone regarding storage of items.

We installed shelves inside the closet but still left the hanging bar in place. On the shelves I have plastic bins that hold folded clothing, etc. In the small cabinets over the couch I have 4 plastic shoe bins on each side(from the dollar store) that we store swim suits, underware, socks, etc.

Under one of the dinette bench seats we have a large plastic bin that holds 6 one gallon bottles of drinking water. I like to have them in the bin in case they would leak. Under the other bench seat I have another plastic bin that holds the bed pad and sheets from the couch bed and dinnette bed. The blankets and pillows we place in two large pillow cases I made of a nice plush fabric. They are then placed on the couch during the day and are nice to lean on.

We have a small wooden chest that opens from the top that we use for storage of games, flash lights, night curtains I made, etc. Works good when you want to put your feet up when sitting on the couch too.

Hubby installed the wire-vinyl covered drawers to each of the lower cabinets and they work wonderful for dishes and plastic Tervis glasses. On the floor of the kitchen cabinets I again use the plastic shoe boxes for cleaning items, etc.

The cabinets over the kitchen hold dish towels, all paper itemsaper plates/cups, gargage bags, etc.

The cabinets over the dinette hold all the bathroom towels and washclothes.

We bought plastic shelving at Home Depot, like you would use free standing in your garage and we use one of those shelves when in a camp site, on the top of the closet. The plastic legs pop in and out with ease and it gives me a place to place bins with canned goods, breads, and small plastic drawers with medicines, hair brushes, dental items, make up, etc.

When we are traveling, I place the rubber mesh on the floor in front of the couch and place the plastic shelf there and it won't move. I also place the plastic mesh under the table and place all the plasic drawers with personal items in them there. I place the food bins in the tub. Everything stays in place and is easy to set up when arrive in camp.

Grill and some other items go into the SUV.

Needless to say we LOVE our ROVING CONDO! I only that items out of it that might melt or spoil. So easy to take off on the next trip. We call our TT Rover and "Rover" is always ready to go.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
Safe travels to all and ENJOY!!!
Maryle and Lon