Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

From another post I am questioning if I too need a surge protector. Till this date I assumed I am already protected via the built in breaker box on my 21ss. Maybe not?????

Are they essential, anyone had their trailer blown away because they did not have one installed?

Any recommendations for a decent protector?

What the difference between the 80 dollar protectors and a 250 dollar protector?

Amazon.com: TRC AECM10086 Surge Guard 30-Amp Portable Circuit Analyzer: Automotive
Amazon.com: TRC 44740 Surge Guard 30-Amp Portable with Shock Shield: Automotive
Amazon.com: TRC 30 Amp Portable RV Surge Guard with LCD Display: Automotive
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

I can give you first hand information about why, in my opinion, you should have a surge protector. We were at a local rally with about 15 other coaches. During a thunderstorm that evening lightning hit a power pole on the incoming power lines to the RV park. The coaches that didn't have surge protectors lost varying amounts of electronic equipment. The worst case all the TVs, Surround Sound System, the EMS, Inverter, and several wiring harnesses were destroyed. We had a Progressive Industries Surge Protector which was destroyed, but no other damage. Our loss cost ~$130.00, the worst costs were several thousands. All coaches with surge protectors survived with minimal if any damage. Keep in mind the RV park is not responsible for this type of loss.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't leave home without protection. We use a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable. I had a cheater cord mae and leave the unit in the electrical bay out of sight and away from someone who may tamper or steal it. We choose the portable so we can use it to check out pestals in parks b-f backing in and finding them shorted. At a Fair campground there were many RV's hooked up. Many had substandial damage due to electrical problems. one lost his refrig, microwave, spendide washer dryer. another lost all his inverter, TV's and other electronics. good luck ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I made the decision to buy the surge protector specifically because of what could happen,,,,hopefully we will never need it...but if I do then its money very well spent.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS
Don't leave home without protection. We use a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable. I had a cheater cord mae and leave the unit in the electrical bay out of sight and away from someone who may tamper or steal it. We choose the portable so we can use it to check out pestals in parks b-f backing in and finding them shorted. At a Fair campground there were many RV's hooked up. Many had substandial damage due to electrical problems. one lost his refrig, microwave, spendide washer dryer. another lost all his inverter, TV's and other electronics. good luck ed
The Portable is fairly expensive at $300 bones. Any reason I should get the portable or will the cheaper SSP30 at $100 protect just as well for issues that may fry something in the trailer?