Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We are going to pick up our Aero-Lite Cub the day after Easter. An hour before, the dealer is going to install the Prodigy break control, anti-sway control. During our walk thru what should I be looking for as to things that get missed during prep? Friday I stopped to buy some towing mirrors and noticed my trailer still sitting in the same spot from 3 weeks ago. I noticed around the windows a very light film from where at the factory they must have wiped excess window caulk. It is about a foot from each window. I wonder if it will just wipe off during its washdown. We owned a Coleman pop-up (99') and last fall were thinking about getting a new pop-up but by chance checked out the Cub's and said sooner or later he would move up to either a hybrid or trailer anyway. We checked out all the brands of expandables and liked how light the hitch weights were for the Aero-Lites.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We are going to pick up our Aero-Lite Cub the day after Easter. An hour before, the dealer is going to install the Prodigy break control, anti-sway control. During our walk thru what should I be looking for as to things that get missed during prep? Friday I stopped to buy some towing mirrors and noticed my trailer still sitting in the same spot from 3 weeks ago. I noticed around the windows a very light film from where at the factory they must have wiped excess window caulk. It is about a foot from each window. I wonder if it will just wipe off during its washdown. We owned a Coleman pop-up (99') and last fall were thinking about getting a new pop-up but by chance checked out the Cub's and said sooner or later he would move up to either a hybrid or trailer anyway. We checked out all the brands of expandables and liked how light the hitch weights were for the Aero-Lites.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:51 AM   #3

Enjoy it Jim & Diane I'd make sure you know how to operate the black /grey water valve. Make sure the fridge, hot water heater, air & furnace work. In fact tell them to turn it on 1 + hour before you get there. If there are any slides make sure you understand them. The awning too. Ask about the window caulk and make sure it comes off. Good luck!

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello,
Picked her up yesterday. They said it would take about an hour to do the walk thru. Even though we have camped in a pop-up for 6 years, I said explain things as if we are brand new to camping. It ended up taking 2 hours to go over the systems & things. About 2 weeks ago when I came into the dealership to pay for the trailer I mentioned to them the amount of caulk residue from about a foot away from the windows. At walk thru they had most of it off, but there was still some one. I made a note of it in signing the final papers. They said it should come off with some Gel-Gloss I will use. The only other thing I noticed is while looking under the trailer the axles are have a good amount of rust on them. The trailer title says it was produced in Dec 2004. So I wonder if I should say something about that. Otherwise I just have to sand the light rust off and paint it myself.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Jim,

Congrats!

Al-Ko frames are supposed to be all galvanized. If the axles are also supposed to be galvanized AND there is rust on them, then you should definitely bring this to the AeroLite's and Al-Ko's attention.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Well, After 2 weekends of camping in our new unit, I'll have to say I'm 95% satisfied with things over-all. As far as the "fit-&-finish" of how the Aero-lite Cub was designed and built, I'm very happy. The Cub cost a little more than some lite-weights, but I think it has paid off. Coming from camping in a 99' Coleman pop-up for 6 years (6 very good years)to towing the Cub I'm getting more used to it after logging about 250 miles on it. The Coleman was 7 1/2 foot wide, the Cub is 8 foot wide. Before I was able to see over the PU just a hair to see what kind of traffic was behind me. I still have the habbit of doing that and seeing a big "CUB" wall. I have to get used to all the systems I have now. One commplaint I have was when I picked up the trailer I said explain to me how thing go as if I never owned or towed a trailer before. The walk-thru went OK, but the person showing me how to hook up the trailer with the sway-control was not very knowledgable. He never explained that the "trailer break-a-way connection cable had to be plugged in when the trailer was not in use. So on our 2nd weekend trip with an non-electric site the battery went dead after an hour. I just couldn't figure out what was wrong. To get the furnace to run for a while I just hooked the tow vehicle connection back up to get a little power. My brother was the one who after asking him what I may have done wrong explained that the break-a-way cable must be plugged in at all times (Da....)I guess you learn something every day. I can't wait to take a week long trip in our Cub starting in June. I have (4) week long trips reserved for the summer. I wish a had a little more outside storage space. I do have a small narrow door on one side that is a pass-thru to the larger door on the other side, but that narrow door is so narrow that even a bag chair is hard to get in. I wish the demand water pump was quieter. (man that pump is load ).
Old 05-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Jim,

Good to hear you're getting used to the new trailer. We're anxious to see the new tow unit and trailer over Memorical day.

The noise of water pumps is annoying at times. You should check to see if the pump was plumbed in with flexible water line for the first foot or so where the pump connects to the water system. If the pump is connected directly to the PEX style tubing, the stiffness of the tubing tends to telegraph the pulsations of the water through the whole camper. Most of the installation manuals suggest using a couple feet of water hose to connect to the pump.

Another option is to intall an accumulator tank so the pump doesn't cycle nearly as often. On our previous motorhome, I intalled a 2 gallon tank which supplied water without the pump running during periods of low demand. As an example, water could be run slowly from the faucet for a couple minutes or the toilet flushed several times before the pump would cycle back on. When it did run, it would then run until it refilled and pressurized the tank, then the tank would supply water. Probably the tank and supplies to install it though begin to approach the cost of one of the new variable flow demand pumps. We installed one of those in the Journey, and really like it. The pump is quiet and runs very slow during low demand periods, but supplies plenty of water at high demand times. The pump is easily viewed and can be seen run in my plumbing compartment from outside so you can check it out at Cutty's.

See you guys there.