RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

Tent bed pros/cons

I tried searching for this as I'm sure it's come up before, but I found nothing so I apologize if this is a common question.

In trying to find a floor plan for our first camper, one (if not the top) desire is 3 permanent beds. I like the idea of not having to make/tear down the kids beds every morning and every night. I originally thought we'd end up in an expandable with 2 or 3 tent beds, but I've seen a few forum posts about leaks and/or condensation issues. I realized this would obviously be a weak point in the structure, so I've started looking more into bunkhouses for now. Can anyone provide their thoughts/experiences with tent beds to help me go one way or the other?

HotBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #2

I like the look of them, they have the advantage over a pop up in having a proper toilet.

My one concern is trying to heat or cool it though.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Looking into buying a bed tent for my lil 5lugger (6ft) bed. What are the pros and cons of buying a tent for the bed of a tacomas compaired to just a normal ground tent?
danhuges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #4

I had a 3 bed hybrid for 9 years for much the same reasons you mentioned. My trailer had e queen sized beds. It officially slept 10 and allowed us to take our kids and as many as 5 friends without anyone sleeping on the dinnette or couch. Traded this year because we are empty nesters now.

The biggest drawbacks I experienced was light, noise and storage. Under canvass you notice every light in a camp ground, same as a tent. Noise is a pro and a con. Nice when it's the birds, insects, frogs, etc., not so nice when it's the neighbors. Hybrids have a huge lack of storage. What would be cabinets are the bunk openings. Forget about pass through storage. You end up carrying your outside stuff (chairs, carpet, grill, etc.) inside and unloading before you can actually set up.

It was a bit harder to heat and cool but we never had too much trouble. You do need to keep an eye on the seals around the beds, especially the front since it will get hit with rain while towing. You also need to dry the tents if you packed up in the rain to stop mold and mildew

They also take longer to set up. So much that was the first thing we noticed our first time out after trading.

Personally I highly recommend hybrids for families.

I had a 2009 KZ Coyote 23CFK. At the time it was 1 of only 2 three bed hybrids I could find. I see more now but don't know anything about makes and models. It isn't my market anymore.
Bulletstoppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We had two Aerolite hybrids. Spent about 780 nights between the two. Yes they will be a little harder to cool in the dimmer especially if camped in a funny location. But it did give us a lot of room god our three adult family. If I had to do it over again I would do the same. One trip included going to Alaska for 110 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CF6B9F7-6A1E-4354-A8C3-AC7D55F18C7F.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	257763  
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

Love our Forest River Shamrock 23IKSS, (exact same model as the Rockwood roo) It's small, easy to tow, F-150, I don't have a problem with storage, but lots go in the bed of the truck. I have a ton of floor space, two big dogs. I also have a decent amount of prep space in the kitchen. Plus it will sleep 7. I have had no problem with leaks! Just make sure you push all the soft stuff in. The ONLY problem I have is that I am short, 5'3", which makes it hard for me to push the beds up. Hubby can hold it while I use a step stool, but sometimes awkward. It does get warm in there, ac doesn't always keep it cool. I would leave my dogs in there for more than a little while, since I don't trust the AC. I am thinking about get PUG, (Pop up Gizmos) that help with keeping the heat at bay and the condensation. It is a "tent", so to speak, with a bathroom, kitchen and t.v. Take it from there.

pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote