Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

Question Thinking about a Trailmanor ... looking for comments - both good and bad!

We're going to get back into RVing after 7 years of being away. A hurricane took our 25' Aerolite in 2004 and we've been "camping" by renting camping cabins ever since. We're thinking about a Trailmanor ... benefits of towing like a popup but no soft sides and a little more room. I'd love to have anyone's comments - both good and bad - regarding Trailmanor. We're spending the day Saturday looking at trailers and would love comments before the big tour.
Tybraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Happened to look inside a Trailmanor at the RV show last month. Having a Aerolite hybrid, I thought it (Aerolite) had much more room than the Trailmanor.

The 05' Aerolite's went to a 8' wide floorplan starting in the 05' model year. Before that they were 7-1/2'. Also the small slide in the Aerolite's really opens up the living space. The inside width I thought was tight. Their spec list the outside width as 7'7". With the roof section fitting over the bottom section, that causes the inside width to be much smaller.

Then you come to price. They seem to be twice the price of a hybrid. Yes, the cabinets were a higher grade.

Aerolite is starting to produce a new floorplan for their hybrids. It won't be ready for another month (232E) or so. My 05' Aerolite Cub (hybrid) 24' has only a couch slide. This new 232E floorplan will have the couch and kitchen in the slide (minus the frig).

Our floorplan is #236 with so much counter and cabinet space. Have used our Aerolite hybrid well over 300 nights in 6 seasons. Since then I have not found another hybrid with such a great floorplan. Was looking to either get into a 5er or buy a new Aerolite if there was a floorplan that was equal in what we have now. #236 Aerolite Cub Pix's
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

I've very rarely, if ever, heard anything negative about Trailmanor.
bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Like a pop-up camper (we owned one years ago) I think the loading and unloading of one would be a pain. Along with the smaller refrigerator.

And your resale audience is smaller with this kind of trailer.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trail manors are great TTs for the majority of camping needs. I have a friend who has had one for several years now - tows it with a Tacoma. The biggest problem is that you need to set it up to load, then tear it down to tow, second problem is lack of good seals around the middle (at least in this unit) to keep the cold out - friend is a fair weather camper.

I think the TM offers the hard sides of a TT, low tow hieght of a Pop Up - two things hybreds can't
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome and enjoy your search for that RV that was meant for you. I looked into Trailmanors (as well as hybrids) a few years back - I like the TM concept and design. I recommend looking at the used ones (even if you plan to buy new). That will show you where the weak areas are in each design (i.e. leaks). If you buy used make sure all recalls are complete. TM had a couple years where the wheel wells were square (or hex) and the tires rubbed when on rough roads - there were new round wheel well fixes available.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 90 25foot and loved it. We camping in late fall early spring with no problems. We had it until we upgraded to Class A.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On any used hybrid, the first thing to look at is where the bulk end material meets the wall, especially along the roof line....

As far as cold weather camping in a hybrid, if the night time temps are in the 40's a small electric heater will do. In the upper 30's you will have to use the furnace. And the outer ends of the bunk will get a little cold. We have camped where the temps at night were in the upper teens. Just used sleeping bags on the bunks....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

I love the fold-out Trail Manor concept (have never owned one)...I would buy one except, when folded down for travel..there is no access to the bathroom in case of an emergency.

My wife and I have sensitive stomachs, and sometimes as we travel, we have an urgent need for a bathroom stop. Our present trailer is conventional..so it's just a matter of pulling over, and using the bathroom.

Trail Manor has a new model called the Elkmont, that does not fold down...I had interest in that as well for the light weight........I googled an owners chat site, and there were many complaints..surprisingly many..because as we know all models have some problems...

Don't let that stop you..but I would read the owners complaints, and make sure that the factory has addressed those problems. regards.
husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have looked at the Trailmanor trailers and they are very interesting. The ones we looked at had some issues with fit and finish, especially on the inside. Also, we noticed some of the seals did not match well around the door are which would lead to drafts and water leaks.

Be sure you go over the unit and get any of the trim issues fixed before you sign and drive off.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote