Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Thor cub tv connection

I have a tv that will work on cable or an antenna. I have hooked it up to the connector and raised the antenna. I have selected uhf/vhf on the tv's menu and have done a few searches for a channel. The search seems to work properly but the tv keeps telling me there is no connection to the antenna.

Is there a antenna/cable switch or something I am missing to select between cable and antenna? What am I doing wrong?

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
look in the cabinets by the tv for a red button where the 12v 110 plugs are...The cables are attached to the back of the switch plate.

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
look in the cabinets by the tv for a red button where the 12v 110 plugs are...The cables are attached to the back of the switch plate.
I looked inside there, nothing but wall. The wiring is inside of it. Here is a photo of what I have. There is a switch that turns on the green light on the one plate. I believe it is a signal booster.

As you can also see the antenna is hooked up.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5997-web.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	26949   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6000-web.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	26950  

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #4

you also have to go the tv's menu and set it for air, not cable reception.

and yes, you have to use the green-lighted antenna booster.
you'll also have to turn the antenna to find the best reception.

all this is assuming you have a digital tv and not an analog one.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
X2 what bikendan said...you have two rocker switches that I don't have, so I'm no help there. I think your problem is just working with your tvs internal settings.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On our new Aerolite hybrid ( 2013) that antenna power boost button ( green when in-gauged ) is in the back of the trailer by the rear antenna connection. It's hidden on a side of a cabinet. If that button is not glowing "green" you will not get a signal period...On our older 2005 Aerolite Cub hybrid it ( green button )was up front next to the antenna connection....

There has been a few times this summer I did my scan for channels and came up blank, but I forgot to turn on the antenna boost button....Now I get 40+ channels....after I turned it on and did another scan....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #7

While sitting at the camp grounds last night I got bored. The coach next to me said they were getting quite a few channels off their antenna but I had nothing. I checked my tv's settings and it is set for uhf/vhf as it should be. I decided to tear the switch plate apart and found what I expected, 3 cable connections, a positive power line and a negative line connection. I know the power connections are working because I get the light. One of the cables were loose so I tightened it. Nothing. I removed all the cables and hooked each one to the tv and tried, nothing, so I put everything back. Of course still nothing.

I don't know anything about the antenna. Is there a way to check it? The other possibility is I have a bad boooster but don't know how to check it either outside of having a green light lit, which it is. Does anyone know how to test them?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When your TV is searching for signals, are you sure you are doing so in the "air" mode? If you still don't get a signal, try turning the antenna a 1/4 turn and try the search again.

While searching it should go thru at least 100 channels....On the few TV's I have done this on, as you are doing the search going thru the channels, the screen on the TV counts down as a % on how many more channels that still need to be checked. This searching process usually takes about 1-2 minutes.

In the end you could be in a area with poor reception. We will be going to a place this weekend where I know we will not have reception period. I get cell reception, but no TV reception.

That RVer next to you are you sure he is getting his TV reception by just a antenna.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
When your TV is searching for signals, are you sure you are doing so in the "air" mode? If you still don't get a signal, try turning the antenna a 1/4 turn and try the search again.

While searching it should go thru at least 100 channels....On the few TV's I have done this on, as you are doing the search going thru the channels, the screen on the TV counts down as a % on how many more channels that still need to be checked. This searching process usually takes about 1-2 minutes.

In the end you could be in a area with poor reception. We will be going to a place this weekend where I know we will not have reception period. I get cell reception, but no TV reception.

That RVer next to you are you sure he is getting his TV reception by just a antenna.
Thanks for the responce. Yes, I am sure it is searching "air". Actually I did searches with cable also just to see what would happen. The grounds I was at only has cable for campers that are there for a month or better. I talked to the lady in the coach and she told me that is why they were using their antenna. On my tv it counts down all the channels, both vhf and uhf. When I did the search on cable it did a lot more channels. When I do the "air" search at the end the tv tells me it has no signal from the antenna so I know that part is right.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
X2 what bikendan said...you have two rocker switches that I don't have, so I'm no help there. I think your problem is just working with your tvs internal settings.
One rocker switch is for indoor lighting, the other is for my outside light.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

well, if it is a digital tv, not an analog one, then something's wrong between the booster/cable plate and the antenna.
just a note, just because a tv is a flat-screen, doesn't mean it has a built-in digital converter. these kind were around before we went completely over to the digital signals.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried programming from the TV buttons as well as from the remote? It seems like I don't get anything when I use the TV's programming buttons of menu, channel, and volume, but I do when I use the dedicated menu buttons on the remote.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. It actually my son-in-law that came up with the answer to my problem. I had to go to Radio Shack and buy an Anolog Pass-through converter box. I still don't get many or any channels but I can see the signal strength coming from any channels in the area. At home I only get one channel but remember when I had an antenna on the house the reception was very bad. Down the camp grounds last week I just bairly got a signal, only a 2.

I guess that is the best I am going to do till I get a digital TV.

Jim D
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #14

actually, i asked you twice if the tv was analog or not.
if you had told us it was, we would have told you that you needed a converter box.

Tags
thor