Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Towing Question

We have been looking at the 2014 Rockwood Roo 233s. I have a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. My pickup has a 6100 lb towing capacity and 610 max tongue weight limit. The camper we looked at is 4365 lbs and a 623 lb tongue weight. Can I pull this camper with no problems or should I be looking at something different?
Reddogz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. For comfort, peace of mind, and safety, when weights approach or exceed manufacturers limits, it is time to consider alternatives IMO.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
That 4,365# is the shipping weight. It doesn't include propane, water, supplies, and probably doesn't include batteries or any options, either. It's a meaningless number since you won't be towing an empty trailer. Same goes for the tongue weight.

Keep in mind, too, that the 6,100# towing capacity for your truck is for a basic truck with no options, no gear, a partial tank of fuel, and only one 150# driver. Once everything is loaded into your truck that you will normally carry (passengers, pets, gear, hitch), that towing capacity will be reduced by the same number of pounds that you added.

The dry tongue weight of the trailer, 623#, is already over the maximum tongue weight for your truck. Once you start loading stuff into the trailer, it will only increase.

Rather than look at the dry weight of a trailer, look, instead, at its GVWR (in this case, it's around 6,300#...4,365 dry weight + 1,833# CCC).

The trailer might be OK if you load it up very lightly and load stuff to the rear so that you lighten the tongue weight. However, keep in mind, also, that too light a tongue weight and you'll have handling problems (tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of the trailer's loaded weight).

If it were me (and of course it's not), I'd be looking at a lighter trailer or upgrading my truck to something with more towing capacity.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
At a 4300lb. dry delivered weight, your looking at a minimum of another 1000 #'s of "stuff". With hitch equipment, passengers, gear, fuel in the truck, your pushing it. I'm going to assume it is the 4.0L V-6. And I see the Roo has a 625 dry hitch weight and the you say the Frontier has a 610 max tongue weight limit. That is in itself a deal killer. You need more truck.

We have a 25' hybrid with delivered dry weight of also 4325 lb. We were towing it with a V-8 Toyota 4Runner rated at 7200 & (1100 tongue limit). With that said, the Toyota handled it fine, but I wouldn't want to go any larger. I estimate were at 5100 -5200 lbs. loaded. We don't travel with any water, and I keep a eagle eye of what I store in the trailer. We go to places that have mountains and hills of OH., VT., PA., KY., and TN. Hence we traded in the 4Runner a few months back for a V-8 Tundra rated at 10k.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with all the above advice, your 'dry weight' is a false number, it doesn't include any of the standard or extra equipment that REALLY should be included in the true weight of the camper. Add clothing, towels, food, cooking and eating supplies and you're going to seriously overload your truck. The truck also probably has it's load capacity understated, folks seldom have a 4 door truck with only 150 lbs in it which is probably what Nissan (and all other truck makers) figures on the loaded truck for specification ##.

For your safety, your family, and your possessions, I'd recommend a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I agree with all the above advice, your 'dry weight' is a false number, it doesn't include any of the standard or extra equipment that REALLY should be included in the true weight of the camper
He may be right on the delivered dry weight. Our Aerolite (2013) comes with a "delivered" weight sticker that says it includes all options ordered. The only thing I'm not sure is that includes two "full" propane tanks.

I'm seeing more RV manufacturers posting a delivered weight.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddogz09 View Post
We have been looking at the 2014 Rockwood Roo 233s. I have a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. My pickup has a 6100 lb towing capacity and 610 max tongue weight limit. The camper we looked at is 4365 lbs and a 623 lb tongue weight. Can I pull this camper with no problems or should I be looking at something different?
your problem is that the 233S's bogus "dry" tongue weight is already over the Frontier max. its actual loaded tongue weight could easily be 100-150lbs. more than that.
so, just on that alone, it's too much for your truck. payload may also be a problem.
and that 4365 number is just as bogus. it'll easily be another 100-200lbs. more when it leaves the factory. it'll easily weigh 5300lbs. loaded for camping.
that's a lot of trailer for a v-6 engine and such a short wheelbase.
its GVWR is over your Frontier's max of 6100lbs.

but the hitch weight is the killer for your truck.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #8

Being new to RVing, I really appreciate the advice in these posts. I am looking at a trailer that when loaded will be rolling down the road at about 4500 lbs. I want to buy a TV - probably a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a towing capacity of 6200 lbs. But I have not checked what the limit will be for tongue weight. And I haven't considered a full tank of gas in it either.
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
Being new to RVing, I really appreciate the advice in these posts. I am looking at a trailer that when loaded will be rolling down the road at about 4500 lbs. I want to buy a TV - probably a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a towing capacity of 6200 lbs. But I have not checked what the limit will be for tongue weight. And I haven't considered a full tank of gas in it either.
SUV's like the Jeep GC, are infamous for having good towing capacities BUT having terrible payload capacities.
payload has to account for the passengers(other than a 150lb. driver), cargo, the weight of the WDH and the tongue weight.

so be sure to look at those specs before you decide on a tow vehicle.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #10

You need to sit down and do your homework. What you need to to do is figure out WHY the tongue weight limit is 610lbs. is it the factory hitch that limits it there? is the rear axle weight?
my neighbors tows a TT with a small v6 SUV without issue BUT he had to upgrade the hitch because the factory one just bolted to a rear cross member and was not rated to use with a weight distribution hitch.
84prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

The 2014 Grand Cherokees have beefed up rear suspensions and trailer anti-sway stuff, according to the spec sheet the dealer provided. This should eliminate the need for WDH and an anti-sway bar.
dog lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
The 2014 Grand Cherokees have beefed up rear suspensions and trailer anti-sway stuff, according to the spec sheet the dealer provided. This should eliminate the need for WDH and an anti-sway bar.
Wrong x2. The goal of WD is not only to make the vehicle level, but also to return the weight to the front axle (crucial for stability and control) and send some weight back to the trailer axles.
"Anti-sway stuff" or Trailer Stability Program can detect sway, cut off engine power, brake TV wheels selectively and APPLY TRAILER BRAKES automatically via brake control. Only once I had a chance to experience it in real life, due to loosened sway bars. TSP is a real lifesaver, makes TV virtually foolproof, but it is not designed to replace proper setup.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #13

Quote:
you need to read the 2014 GC's owners manual. the towing section should state a hitch or trailer weight that requires using a WDH.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So wrong. You need WD with sway control. The "sway control" is an electronic program that uses the truck brakes to try and eliminate the sway. WD is needed to transfer some of the weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing