Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #1

I'm just now starting to look for a lightweight travel trailer to tow behind out 2006 Tundra Double Cab 4x4. We have a Polaris Ranger XP and KX100 dirtbike we normally tow behind it, and I'm thinking about double trailering it behind or before the travel trailer because I can't find any reasonably price toy haulers with a tall enough ceiling height and separate living quarters light enough to tow behind our truck.

So, I'm a fairly bug guy at 250lbs and 6'2" tall. I want a fullsize shower that I'm not having to bend down in, the shower head is properly spaced above my head and I'm not having to rub the sides of the shower the entire time.

Other than that we want a full kitchen and one queen sized bed would be perfect. We don't want any pop outs unless it's completely hard sided. We also want A/C and heat for the huge varying conditions in Colorado.

Any comments would be extremely helpful. Thanks,

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #2

I'm just now starting to look for a lightweight travel trailer to tow behind out 2006 Tundra Double Cab 4x4. We have a Polaris Ranger XP and KX100 dirtbike we normally tow behind it, and I'm thinking about double trailering it behind or before the travel trailer because I can't find any reasonably price toy haulers with a tall enough ceiling height and separate living quarters light enough to tow behind our truck.

So, I'm a fairly bug guy at 250lbs and 6'2" tall. I want a fullsize shower that I'm not having to bend down in, the shower head is properly spaced above my head and I'm not having to rub the sides of the shower the entire time.

Other than that we want a full kitchen and one queen sized bed would be perfect. We don't want any pop outs unless it's completely hard sided. We also want A/C and heat for the huge varying conditions in Colorado.

Any comments would be extremely helpful. Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-13-2006, 04:43 AM   #3

Dont get mad, but what jumped out from your post was possible safety issues of towing doubles with a 1/2 ton truck and both trailers being bumper pull units (and doing so in a mountainous state like CO).
Old 06-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Please reconsider double towing. As Two Bit stated, there are safety issues with doing that for even the beefy-est of trucks,especially yours. Plus I'm sure you'd be over your tow rating (6500 lbs)* and GCWR (11,800)* if you do.

You've come to the right group to ask questions. There are many, very knowledgeable people here. I've never been steered wrong by following their advice.
L-
*From Toyota website.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #5

I recently saw a light wt. camper that was also a toy hauler. The bed pushed up to the ceiling or something to convert the garage part into a bedroom after the toys were out. I guess you could not store them inside at night, but you could haul them. I will dig around again and try to find where I saw it. It was a camper like I had never seen before.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #6

I don't know if this is the exact one I saw, but it does have a queen bed and the bathroom looks to be a decent size. Here is a link lite wt toy hauler They also don't list a price. You have to email for a quote. I will do a little more digging and see if I can find the exact site that I had found before.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #7

I think those type of toy haulers are stupid, but obviously that's just my opinion. I wouldn't want to load up my nasty mud covered Ranger and my wife's KX100 at the end of the day then remove them again when setup at the campsite, have to clean it out, then setup the beds and living quarters. What a pain? I would only want one if it had a completely separate living area.

Chris
Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #8

ravencr said they wouldnt like to toy haulers etc... but do you know they come with pressure washers so that you can clean them off? Every time we take the dirt bikes out we hose them off good before they come into the camper. Plus its a great area for our young child to play with a friend. You dont get that much space in most other campers.

Minnesota
Turners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #9

oh... I forgot to tell you... check out the 2007 Nitrous by fleetwood. Its the lightweight in the toy haulers its the one we have and it has a queen size bed in the front and it seems the bathtub is almost regular sized. You can also get it with dual electric queen sized bunks in the back. It doesnt have those unsightly pad locks hanging off the back either, it has automatic locks on it. Its sweet!!! did I mention the LCD TV with the integrated dvd??

Minnesota
Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #10

I'll check it out, and no I didn't know they came with a pressure washer. If they are a completely separate room I'm okay with it, but most I've seen in my price are that way, leaving no option but to store the toys outside when sleeping.

Chris
Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #11

yes you do leave them out at night, locked to the rings that are on the tongue of the trailer. unless you want to lower one of the bunks over the top of it... I dont know how much sleeping space you need but if they are clean... that may be another option for you. They have alot of great options in those tailers, you can go to www.fleetwoodrv.com and check it out.

Minnesota
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 AM   #12

Thanks for the help! Another reason I'm beginning to steer away from the toy haulers is that once set up at camp, if I have to tow the toys to the trailhead, I'll have to tow the entire trailer instead of just the utility trailer, leaving the travel trailer intact.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Having owned a light weight trailer, I would strongly advise against towing double with them. My previous trailer was a Rockwood ultra light 5th wheel, and there is no way the frame was strong enough for towing anything behind it. The frames on the lite trailers are not as beefy as on regular trailers. Then there are the issues of weight ratings already mentioned.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #14

I would most likely tow the travel trailer behind the utility trailer, which would be fine.

Chris