Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Warranty - When Did Yours Begin After Purchasing?

So the dealer who we have just purchased from said the Forest River warranty STARTS the day you put a deposit on it. Well that seems a bit strange any one else have any input?
vt skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt skier View Post
So the dealer who we have just purchased from said the Forest River warranty STARTS the day you put a deposit on it. Well that seems a bit strange any one else have any input?

They are SUPPOSED to start the day you take delivery although some dealers forget about that and then people have problems later so fix it now!!

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Community Administrator

The warranty is for the registered OWNER. You are not the owner until you actually close on the deal.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I think that the dealership is seeing how savy you are and if you are willing to push the point.....which you should. I bet Forest River would like to know about the strange practices of one of the franchises
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Please RUN, don't walk away from that dealer...

That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a dealer say...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I think that the dealership is seeing how savy you are and if you are willing to push the point.....which you should. I bet Forest River would like to know about the strange practices of one of the franchises

Well this whole deal has been contentious, a dealer 6 hrs away had the same exact unit for $1,800.00 cheaper now some would say well that's 6 hrs but our daughter and son in law live there so not so much. When I presented this price to the salesman he ran to get the sales mgr / owner who argued all these points of why he was more expensive, I explained to him that I have been self employed and in the sales business for over 35 yrs and frankly he was blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine, for everything he said I had a valid rebuttal and proof to back it up anyways he relented and sold us the unit at the lesser price. Fast forward to this morning after telling him I was calling Forest River he relented and said the salesman was wrong or I misunderstood... Warranty begins when I go pick it up this weekend and finish the paperwork......Boy cant wait to have any warranty work done...
vt skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are correct, warranty starts when you sign the final purchase paperwork and drive it ( tow it) off the lot.

Our first tt (2005) we put down a deposit, it arrived a month later, it sat in their lot for another month because it was late Feb., signed paperwork the end of March, warranty started then.

2nd tt (2013) traveled 2-1/2 hours away to save 50% from what the dealer who sold us the 2005 tt. One quoted $19.5k + our 05'* the other $9800 + our 05'*. Bought it from the out of town dealer, took 6 weeks to order, warranty started at delivery. The other dealer I had given them to give them 24 hours to give me their best and final offer. They choice to stick with the dealer program of low volume / high mark-up. Once I told them I had bought somewhere else, they ( the owner of the dealership) said don't bother bringing it to them for any warranty stuff. Fast forward 9 months, they were happy to do my warranty stuff.

* Both quoted a $6500 trade value. but felt it was worth closer to 9k or 10k because it was in above average condition. Ended up selling it before I took delivery of the new tt for $8500 on Craigslist, so I just paid the difference. I had it written in the deposit contract that if I sold it before delivery I just paid the difference. was a win win for us.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Boy can't wait to get any warranty work done!

You got that right. I would begin negotiating with a FR dealer other than this group. Keep the manufacturer in the conversation from day one when the first QC issues arise. This will certainly help solve a lot of hassle.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sound like you can expect 30/30 warranty service from that dealer. 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever comes first...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
WAIT! You're still going to buy from this idiot? I wouldn't buy a dozen eggs from this moron.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #11

This is exactly why poor dealers stay in business. People do not hold them accountable for poor business practices. You should have left and not looked back.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote