Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #15
We just purchased a Jayco Jay Feather 29N (http://www.jayco.com). GVWR 6500. 30' 8" long. We just love the layout and although we have not had a chance to get out in it yet, due to weather constraints, we are completely happy so far. Lots of room and seems to have all the comforts we could ask for.

I am going to be towing it with a '04 F150 supercab, 5.4 L, 3.73 rear end, and HD towing package. We have had it hooked up and towed it around & the truck hardly noticed it was aboard.

428 days till freedom

WillYum & Socks

'04 F150 5.4L 3.73 HD Tow
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Good Day
Anyone have a Dutchmen travel trailer....
Seem like a good trailer......
Thanks for the previous posts......

Barrie & Brenda

2004 Fleetwood Prowler Lynx 30' with slide-out
go44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #17
I'm sure everyone around knows that a common topic of conversation around the campground is "How do you like your camper?" Over the years, the one thing I hear from Dutchman owners is dissatisfaction.

About 4 years ago, a family from Minnesota with a Dutchman 5er, pulled into the spot next to us at Lake Gogebic State Park in the U.P. of Michigan. Soon after, I noticed the guy was on his back, and was underneath looking at the axle area. It turned out that one of the spring mounts had broke loose from the frame, the weld had failed. I'm not a pro at welding, but even I could see there was no penetration on the weld, and it had little more strength than a tack weld. I sent him in the direction of the campground host, who told him about a retired mechanic/ fabricator who lived just up the road a few miles. The guy went to pick the older fella up and returned later with his gas welding stuff in the back of the truck. Soon afterwards, the job was done and the family was able the enjoy their stay with piece of mind knowing their trailer was fixed.

Over that summer and next, we met other folks with Dutchmans while camping. To my surprise in both cases, they related tales of axle/ suspension problems.

When I was doing my research prior to buying my current trailer, I asked the service manager at an area RV dealer, what brand he saw the most. Again Dutchman came up. While they weren't a Dutchamn dealer, he said that folks brought them in because of the Dutchman dealer that was about an hour away didn't have a very good reputation in the service dept. He said the most common problem was roof water leaks towards the rear of the unit.

Needless to say, the Dutchman brochure I had in my research library, went into the circular file cabinet. I ended up getting a Jayco from the same dealer we had bought our pop-up from a few years before.
Hilltop RV Superstore- parts dept.

Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Look At the KZ's WWW.KZ-rv.com
Bonnie1000 PUT, 2002Sportsman2505qss

1999 F-150
Sportsman2505qss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #19
I currently have a 2004 8230 TrailLite which I have good service from up to this point. If I were going to purchase another light weight TT I would seriously consider the KZ also. It appears to be a very well made product at a good price. I have been to a couple of RV shows and have been impressed with the KZ units I've seen.
onemountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the 2005 models but we just purchased a 2007 Sunline Que , they are made for 2 and have a unique european interior, and loaded only weigh 3500 pounds. They make a side entry and a rear entry model' we pulled it from Colorado to Oklahoma with a F-150 V-6 and had no problems what so ever They are 17.7 feet long and very easy to get around with.
Dave & Kathy Schaller & Missy the Mutt

schaller56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
I have been in my Jayco Jay Feather 19w for a month or so now and just love it. It has enough room for 2 to 4 people, really better for 1 -2 and is fully loaded with everything you could ask for. Oh, to your question, the way it is constructed is very strong and ultra lite, easy to tow......
mytrkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tail_gunner, welcome, mytrkut welcome also to IRV2 thanks for joining in and giving your advise. Alot of good people here to help you out and some that can use your advice, enjoy the forums and come back often. "007"
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
I'm very new to the RV community, but I want to buy the best lightweight trailer money can buy with an emphasis on quality and functionality. Money being no object, what would you guys recommend?

ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #24
i too am also intersted in a good travel trailer ..im looking betwwen the kz frontier and the outback..which one do yall recomend ....i want one that will last and will hold up any suggestions on which one is better .im leaning more to the kz frontier 2809 ..do the slideouts hold up well ..do you know any good websites which discuss which trailer is built the best ..i noticed the outback doesnt list how the trailer is exactly made ..flooring and etc ...thanks zette
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:42 AM   #25
Well, we're probably going to be in the minority here, but we just bought a Trailmanor and absolutely love it! Talk about lightweight and easy to tow - we tow with an Expedition 5.4 V-8 and it hardly knows it's there. Don't need a W/D hitch, etc. We had considered Hi-Lo's but for the size we wanted the empty weight was around 6000 pounds - right at the limits of our tow vehicle. We have owned fivers, popups, and now the TrailManor and so far like it the best.

When folded for towing, it's 24 feet long and when opened for camping it's 31 feet long - plenty of room for the two of us and three Boston Terriers. GVWR is 4550 pounds.

One drawback is that they're kinda pricey - ours listed for 32k (not what we paid, though ). Another that some might call a drawback is that they have to be 'set up', but can be set up/taken down in the rain without interior getting wet. They are not difficult to set up - everything is counterbalanced. Takes us about 15 minutes to back in, level the rig, set up and start camping.

2006 TrailManor 3124KS pulled by 2004 Ford Expedition
TiptonR is offline   Reply With Quote