Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
What kind of electrical cord do I need?

We just brought a Shamrock hybrid. What kind of electrical cord do I need for set up? Just a regular extension cord? Also do I just need a adapter for the end? Sorry kinda new at this.
Thanks everyone

Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you looking to connect a 30a shore power cord to a household 120v outlet that the cord won't reach to the outlet? If so, yes you need adapter and a heavy duty extension cord.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
A better description of what it is you're trying to do would help. The answer can be widely different depending on whether or not your used MH even came with the cord or not.

If you're asking what you might need to power light duty appliances in your driveway while getting it ready to head out on a trip then I use a 100 foot orange extension and a 15 to 50 amp adapter. that runs the lights, furnace, and refrigerator. It won't run the air conditioners.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You will need to carry an extra 25' 30amp cord. As far as adaptors: Get one that goes from a 30amp down to a 15 amp. I also carry one that will go from a 50 to a 30 amp connection.

My hybrid comes with a 25' 30 amp. power cord, but there have been a few times I needed the extra 30 amp cord to reach to pole. You don't want to use your 30 amp cord and then plug into a 15 or 20 amp cord to reach the pole. If your running AC and or the micro it will heat up the smaller cords.

Here are some links below to adapters you will want to carry:

30 amp to 15 amp

15 amp to 30 amp

50 amp to 30 amp
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
What you are really asking is what GAUGE wire is needed for an extension cord on a MH. That depends on basically one thing. What amperage is the greatest the cord will need to carry. If your MH has two AC's you have a 50-AMP set up and you will typically plug into a 50-AM outlet at the CG. Our MH has only one AC so we only need 30-amps. The gauge or diameter of the wire is what determines how much current (amperage) it will carry.

If you do have a 50-AMP set up you trip the circuit breaker.

We do not have a 50-AMP hook-up at home. Before we bought the 2014 WBGO our last MH had 2-AC's and we had a 50-AMP service. When plugged in at home I used an adapter to convert the plug from 50-AMP to 30-AMP so we could power the coach. But we never turned on both AC's.

10-gauge wire would be the smallest you would use for 50-AMPS
8- gauge would carry around 70-amps.

Those figures are general in nature because it depends on how long the extension might be. The longer the cord the more resistance and therefore the less current it will safely carry. An extension cord for a MH would not be much longer than 20-30 feet.

If you try to carry more current than the cord can handle the wire heats up and plastic begins to melt. The circuit breaker should also trip. Just recently I had a coach in my drive (guests). They plugged into my 30-amp outlet and I told them not to run both AC's. They tripped my CB once and when they left both ends of my extension cord were melted.

When buying an extension cord never go by how large the cable appears to be. It may be a large diameter wire but it is really a lot of plastic covering a small diameter wire. Weight helps unless it is aluminum wire. Copper is the best and more expensive.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

The RV should have come equipped with an electric cord that will reach at least 25 feet and hook to a standard 30 amp pedestal. Did it?
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
The 30A RV type extension cord should be one purchase. A 30-to-15 adapter is also mandatory. For convenience I would also recommend a 50ft #12 wire, contractor's type extension cord (I use one when parking in somebody's yard just for lights & battery charge).
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'll also carry 25' water hose with a shut off at the end to fill the fresh water tank. 95% of the time we do state parks so we don't have full service, but I do carry a extra hose just in case. If you do get a site with full service you may want a water regulator to limit the water pressure entering the RV. A buddy of mine suggested I have one of these handy (Water thief). I have used it twice in the last 9 years. A "Water Thief" It hooks up to a water source that doesn't have a threaded connection or the threads are messed up.

Everything here is a $4 or $5 item. Most can be picked up at a RV store, Wally-World or online as my links picture.

I'll also carry a section of coax cable in case we happen to at a place that has cable TV included in their rate.

Your extra 25' 30 amp power cord is going to be your biggest expanse. ($45-$50)

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote