Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Who all makes Expandable/Hybrids

I have found the forest river products but there need to be more right??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Jayco, Starcraft, KZ, Keystone, Palomino, Coachmen, Kodiak, Aerolite, Trail-Lite to name some others.

but are you talking new or used, because a lot of other companies made them but no longer do or went out of business.
if you're talking used, then it's virtually impossible to list every company that every made a hybrid since they first came out in 1998.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When we bought our 2005 Aerolite hybrid there were like 10 -11 models / floorplans. Since then there is lucky to be 2-3 models / floorplans produced per year. The 05' Aerolite was a nice 24' with a small couch slide. Our newer Aerolite hybrid (2013) is a 25' with larger couch / kitchen slide. Aerolite and Kodiak basically are the same maker, but have fallen out of favor as far as hybrids go the last few years. Some Aerolite dealers don't even carry hybrids.

I just feel you get the most bang for the dollar, especially when you have kids. Getting enough sleeping space. Try finding a 25' regular tt that has sleeping space for 2 kids and good counter space and a couch. Your going to have to look at a 30'+ tt to get that.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

That was my thought while we wait to decide on a class a in a few years
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

only the Roo/Shamrock hybrid lines has continued to offer a large variety of hybrid floorplans.
as Superslif said, Dutchmen(Aerolite and Kodiak, which used to be twin brands like Roo/Shamrock)offered a large number of floorplans, as did Jayco and Starcraft and Trail-Lite and KZ and Palomino.
over the past 5 years(since the recession), they have all pared down the number of hybrid models they offer.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You would think during and after the Great Recession and with people's budgets on the mend, the manufacturers would offer families more hybrids. Even in a shorter 17' hybrid you get two queen beds to sleep a family of 4. Moving up to a 20' gets ya a couch. You would have to get a 30' regular tt. to get the sleeping space a hybrid offered.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #7

i think RV manufacturers decided on focusing on more profitable RV's.
they don't perceive hybrids as being profitable, that they are a niche market and they'll never take off like toyhaulers have.

but Forest River continues to be the leader in hybrids, with the largest number of models and new inventive floorplans, like the 23IKSS.
remember, they were the first with floorplans like the 23SS, 233 and the 233S, that have been copied by every other hybrid manufacturer.
and with FR's acquisition of Palomino and Coachmen, they've added brands that carry more hybrids.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ya, I guess it's all about "Profits" $$$$.

Yes, $40k, $50k $60k toy haulers. $12k - $20k hybrids Hum what is a family on a limited budget going to spend their money on. Plus on a toy hauler you will have to buy a $40k + truck to pull it.

Well, this professional RVer greatly enjoying our 2nd hybrid and about 500 nights camped. I see you local dealer has dropped the Aerolite hybrids and picked up the Flagstaff Shamrock hybrids.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #9

While Livin Lite does not classify some of their travel trailers as hybrids, they have several models with an optional tip-out bunk. They offer a dinette that converts to a queen sized bed. Look at their Camplite 16 DB. With a tip-out bunk, dinette/bed, and a sofa/bed, you can fit 6 Into a 16-foot trailer.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Looked at the Livin Lite Camplite's at the past RV show. Yes, they were made with a lot of aluminum, cutting down 300 to 500lbs depending on length, But they are only a 7' wide trailer compared to most other tt's at 8' wide. To me, It didn't give me the warm feeling I get from a unit that has solid wood cabinets and a over-all softer looking interior. They were priced at a premium over other tt's.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

Superslif, you are right. It all comes down to what you want and what you want to pay for. The natural woods are very pretty. Some prefer the aluminum and azdel for durability. If the wood rots and you have to rip it out and replace it, you could use up some of your valuable camping time while doing the work yourself or waiting while someone else does it. And then some people really want the residential look that wood brings.

It's good that there is a choice.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
No matter what RV you get, paying attention to maintaining it over the years will keep you on the road. I take pride in keeping it waxed, checking caulked areas many times a year, spraying silicon on all the door and slide seals every month or two. I even wax my AC, frig and roof vents. But there are other who just drive and go, and wonder why after 3-4 years the decals are peeling off. These are homes on wheels...
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #13

Superslif, you have a lot of good ideas there for maintenance that I haven't seen anywhere else. Reading your posts, it seems like I could get a better deal if I wait to get my tt much later this year or early next year. I hate to lose out on camping this year, but I look on this as a long - term investment. If I have to wait a few months to get what I want and save a lot of money that I can then use for camping, well...

I don't even have my tv yet. I am going to a Jeep dealer this week to check out specs for a Grand Cherokee.

BTW, I am in Louisville in a lovely hotel for a long weekend. There are a bunch of RV'ers boondocking nearby. I look at them and am drooling.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Reading your posts, it seems like I could get a better deal if I wait to get my tt much later this year or early next year
All depends...My 05' hybrid I bought in June, the 13' in Feb. I'm starting to see some price reductions at my local dealer. Normally on their website they would knock off maybe 10-15% from the MSRP and call it a deal, The last few weeks I'm seeing 25 - 30% reductions. They may be starting to get 2015's in very soon. Remember I took delivery of my 2013 in March of 2012. So that is real early to get a 2013 when the calendar just turned over for 2012...But I'll take it.