Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #15
Besides having all the comforts of home our biggest reason was it proably cheaper than a divorce!

Don't get me wrong I LOVED my popup, but I loved my husband more and wanted to stay married. Set up in a popup for us was VERY stessfull. It seemed to take forever and we seemed to fight everytime. As a matter of fact our last outing in the popup my husband swore he would never camp again. (he had very little patience and hated the popup since the first day he stepped foot into it. Something about it being my ex husbands even though it was all mine. Go figure.)

So needless to say, he calmed down and decided we were buying a Hybrid. Now thats not to say that all is perfect, he still has no patience. He hardley was the driver when we had the popup so he has no expierence with towing and, yuck dare I say it, backing up! So getting into a campsite is a little tense. But he'll learn!

And set up is a breeze! All he needs to do is the water, electric and the LP. My 13 yearold and I do the rest. This gives my husband time to "settle down" after 20 or so attempts to position the camper "just right" ( or at least the way I want it lol)

Scott & Shelly
2 girls, 13 & 9
1 boy 5
2003 Stacraft 19CK

Scott & Shelly

2 girls, 13 & 9
WBCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2003, 03:52 PM   #16
There's a lot of benefits to a hybrid over a pu.
Water storage, actual shower and restroom. Grey and blackwater tanks built in.
easier to backup
More storage.

Take a look at a hybrid that is out doors and that has a small slide out. I think you'll find that the roomieness feeling is there. Open the beds up, it's not as large feeling, but definitly easier than zipping everything up if rain starts or you need to block out the neighbors noise.

Ford F150 Supercrew, 5.4l, K&N FIPK, Superchip, Magnaflow Exhaust
Rockwood Roo 23B

Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Forest River Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ralderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:20 AM   #17
Just to aid in the decision and offer a 3rd choice, may I chime in here??!! We have a TowLite (Hi LO) and it offers a nice compromise between the pop up and the hybrid. Also, since it is hard side, you can camp in bear areas with a lot more security. Set up is a snap since the hydraulic lift raises the unit in 11 seconds. Lowering is just as easy and I now get 4mpg better than when we towed our 19' trailer.
CampingBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:21 AM   #18
You made me laugh. Your popup days sound like ours but I was the one that was screaming and yelling at my husband. I said if we don't get something easier, we're not camping anymore. Set up wasn't that hard but the take down for us was murder and I am surprise that we both are still here. Popup camping was just not for us and I think part of it is that we were led to believe that setup and take down was a breeze. At the dealer when they were teaching us, yes we could setup and take down within 30 minutes but we never thought about what real camping setup and take down time would be and the first time out we really knew what it meant. Now camping's a breeze. We have no more fights and we are really enjoying camping. Best move we made was back in June of 2001 when we picked up our new trailer.

Bonnie1000 PUT, 2002Sportsman2505qss
1999 F-150
Former 1999 Coleman Niagra
Where ever we roam we're always at home
Bonnie1000 PUT, 2002Sportsman2505qss

1999 F-150
Sportsman2505qss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:47 AM   #19
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WBCampers:
Set up in a popup for us was VERY stessfull.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My wife and I pretty much have a non-verbal agreement. When we get to the CG, she hangs around long enough to help me get the canvas over the bunk ends. Once done, she and the kids leave the area and let me finish up. That way, the only one I have to quarrel with is myself.

The old unit we have now is our very first pop up. Our next purchase will most likely be a hybrid. While I've read where people "prefer the open feel of a pop up", we generally do not spend a lot of time inside anyway, so this is a non-issue for us. I will however miss being able to store it in my garage.

'76 Starcraft Starmaster 8
'62 Me
'70 DW
'94 DD
'00 DD
2007 K-Z Spree 320BHS
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD
Photo Gallery
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #20
We enjoyed the PU but the hassle of popping up and folding down, packing, etc., etc., moved us to a hybrid. We love the convenience of packing up in the AC cooled hybrid and taking our time doing it. Economy was definitely a factor. We are on fixed (and limited) incomes so when we travel around we like to be able to fix our own lunches, carry our own cokes, snacks, etc. With the hybrid we can pull into a rest area or even a parking lot and go back to the hybrid and eat and rest. With the windows open and FantasticFan and bunk-end fans going we can stretch out on the folded down dinette and rest awhile. Even go to the potty if we need to. And when we get where we're going we enjoy the ease of setting up and the built in comfort. Just works for us!

Chuck & Mickey
Huntsville TX
Our Home Page
Lodebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:38 PM   #21
Well, I'm the wife and the hubby is the one who wanted the hybrid! It was a joint decision but in our opinion, a good one. We had a pop up for one year and really ejoyed it. With three kids though, having access to the comforts provided by a hybrid is worth it's weight in chicken nuggets! (the freezer and microwave are used often) Plus, it's an added sense of saftey the kids not having to use public washrooms and very nice at 3am not to have decide what to do! Other than the chicken nuggets we still cook outside, eat outside, and spend most of our time outside however when it's raining, or when it's time to change, having the comfort and privacy is very nice. I could go on, but as others have said, it partly depends on what you have to tow with. Good luck.

2002 Palomino Stampede Hybrid 235-SL
3 Great Kidlets
Ages 7, 5 & 5
The Magical Flying Camper Club
5GoneFishing's Website
2002 Palomino Stampede Hybrid 235-SL

3 Great Kidlets
5gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #22
We too were popup owners, Palamino Pinto, and were looking for the largest popup we could find and then at an RV show saw a hybrid and liked what it had to offer and bought it. At the time we were towing with a 1997 Chevy Astro with the trailer package and have since upgraded our tow vehicle to a 2001 Ford Expedition with the towing package. An added benefit for us is we are able to write off the hybrid's interest and taxes off of our income taxes.
Jim & Sylvia

Two Sons Age 22 & 20
scanlonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #23
Downsizing from a Class C (not necessarily my choice!), I wanted to keep camping so I bought a pop-up. I had been use to simply opening the door and going in to check on supplies needed for upcoming trips so having to crank up to get inside and then crank down, was a hassle.
Now with a hybrid, I can have the convenience and comfort I once had. Hybrids are the way to go!
lightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 AM   #24
I had my last popup for 9 years. Put over 20,000 miles on it. Longest single trip was 3 weeks.

I also had a 36' Class A for a couple years. Lived in it fulltime for over a year. Sold it, bought a house once again, and wanted another camper.

I looked closely at Popups once again. But the Niagara was SO expensive! Has all the downsides already mentioned. The only real benefit to a Popup is while towing. Being smaller and lighter has a downside once you arrive, especially if it's raining!

So while suffering sticker shock, I looked at hybrids and lightweight TTs. I found that a 25' Rockwood 2502, fully loaded, costs no more than a Niagara. The TT was also lighter than the hybrids I looked at.

Having dealt with the sun shining on bunk ends, I wasn't enthusiastic about having to deal with that once again with a hybrid.

The TT is more of a hassle to tow. It's big, and takes up more fuel. But the benefits far outweigh the cons, IMHO.

Being able to use it at rest stops while traveling is a nice feature. Not having to raise the roof to load it is also a big plus. Full sized appliances, a real bed, and INSULATED walls, floors, and ceiling. Onboard storage tanks for waste when dry camping. The list goes on and on.

Loved my Popup. But having a TT or hybrid is less work, and more comfortable.

2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4
2manytoyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I agree with you Robert 100%....We were going to upgrade from our 10' Coleman Pop-up to a larger 12' Coleman. I just happened to pop my head into a Cub hybrid at the dealership (19 footer) and was looking to see that it was not much heavier and the cost was only a few $$$ more. Well once we turned into the direction of getting into a hybrid my wife liked the 21'er better. O then the 22'er was even better yet. O but when she saw the 24'er with all the counterspace that was a done deal. I think it has more counterspace than our house and 27 cabinet doors. There was no turning back. I sure like the fact of loading it up for trips. I just pull it in the yard a day ahead of time a fill-er-up. In the pop-up you would have to crawl on your knees and stuff it full. So after camping about 105 nights in 2 seasons I'm glad we went in this direction.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #26
As has been said, I TOO HAVE A POPUP and want something different (mainly a bathroom). A 72 Apache.

One question I have (and my husbands biggest concern) is do the bed ends leak on these hybrids?

What was I thinking?!
Following Tom in Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
We too, graduated from a popup to a hybrid. On our last trip in the popup, we ended up in a motel room because we didn't want to pop up and pop down after only one night. I was misrable, being in a beautiful area on the coast and not camping!!! We love our hybrid, it has a U shaped dinette and we often use that as a bed when we stay overnight and need to leave early in the morning. It is great having a bathroom, refridge and freezer. That being said, I do miss the complete openess of our popup, but then again, we spend most of our time outside. We did have a problem with one bunkend leaking, but it turned out to be a faulty gutter and once that was replaced, we haven't had any other problems.
Karen and Bob in Lake Tahoe
tahoecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #28
You might also look at the Trail Mannor and Hi-Lo units as well. They are full hardsides that colapse down to lower the towing height and reduce drag. As for the Pop-up vs Hybred debate there are pros and cons to each - all have been mentioned here. I have never owned either - the DW hates tents of any kind so I have had full hard side TTs. I also have no first hand experience with them and also no bias. My objective opinion is that haveing some hard sides are nice and make for better bathrooms, kitchens, and dining areas, plus you can load them without setting them up. Setup appears to be easier since only the two bunk ends need to be set up. Cons - higher towing profile will eat into MPG. They are also a bit heavier/ft than a pop-up. Built on TT chassis some have tandem axles and all have larger tires.

Pop-ups pros lighter and roomer for any given tow length. Low profile makes for easier towing. Small wheels coupled with usually single axles make them squirlly to back up. Setup requires more effort.

Both require major drying out after being open during rain.

07 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ,6 speed auto, 4x4, Blue Granite Metalic

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote