Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Winterizing Passport Express 190 EXP

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the whole winterizing thing and my manual is very generic to the brand and not specific to my model. I have a Passport Express 190 EXP. I know what to do for the most part but the thing that confuses me is what to do with my hot water heater. I know there is supposed to be a bypass valve somewhere because your not supposed to get antifreeze in the tank but not sure where. There are a lot of hoses and valves inside. I am attaching some pics of my setup and hopefully someone can assist me.

- does the hot water tank need to be drained and where is the drain valve?

- where is the bypass valve?

- do I leave antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Shannon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1860175693.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	48449   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1359794538.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	48450  

Name:	image-2681197449.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	48451   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-283196103.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	48452  

Name:	image-1175354375.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	48453   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1105951390.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	48454  

Name:	image-4114519717.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	48455  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

Bump

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

I can't really determine anything from the photos that you attached. There should be a connection from the cold inlet to the hot outlet of the water heater. If so, there should be a valve at each end of that line.

The valve at the inlet end will be a three way. Switch it from inlet to diverter. Turn the valve at the outlet end off. Make sure that you drain the tank first.

It doesn't hurt to get antifreeze into the heater, but filling the heatr with antifreeze gets expensive.
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Thanks! Is it better to poor the antifreeze in the fresh water tank and let the pump suck it out or is it better to use the line they installed that goes directly in the jug and sucks it out from there?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

Smile

- does the hot water tank need to be drained and where is the drain valve?
Yes, it does. The drain valve is the off white hex head nylon plug toards the bottom and slightly to left of center in your outside picture. When draining, be sure to pull the P&T relieve valve, this is towards the top of the unit, it is a round fitting with a “loose” lever on a cam you lift up to open the valve.

- where is the bypass valve?
Cannot find in your interior pictures. Close off the cold inlet to the tank, not the hot output. My preference is to drain the hot water tank, rock the unit a bit to make sure it is as empty as possible, and then close off the tank when introducing the antifreeze into the system.

- do I leave antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks?
Yes! Pour almost all of 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water system (Before you do make sure fresh, grey and black are EMPTY), turn pump on, open all faucets (don’t forget the shower outside and refrigerator ice maker if you have them) and run them until they are the color of the antifreeze. Fill and flush the toilet twice or three times.

You should now have RV antifreeze in your fresh, grey & black tanks, all lines and traps in the sinks. (I even open the grey tank drain briefly just to get antifreeze in the discharge tube)

This topic only touches on the water system of your RV. I can’t stress enough looking for additional resources on everything you should be doing, as a for instance:
  • Battery removal
  • Remove all perishables
  • lubrication of all exposed parts (jacks, hitch, chains, etc)
  • keeping the fridge open/fresh
  • shutting off gas
  • inflating tires, etc.
  • I put flea collars in my outer compartments, ant traps inside, cedar blocks in drawers, closets, etc.
  • There is much to do!

My wife and I did this and it took about 2 hours to do everything, plan on 4 for the first time!

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
First of all, nice trailer, looks quite familiar, mine just has different colors.

I had mine done before purchase this fall, so I cant give you first hand help, but from what I have read and studied it seems like Smithers has it pretty well outlined. Hope it all worked out well, I guess you will find out this spring. Happy camping