Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #15

I would not if I had the vehicle to pull a regular camper that had enough space. At the time we did not, so the hybrid gave us more space in a size we could pull. Now that I am fortunate enough to have a new truck, I can pull just about anything out there so we are looking at a Puma 29BHSS.

Mike

Mike, Elissa, Becca, John, and Trudy the Camp Dog
'04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
2003 Starcraft Antigua 195CK <><
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FreeAtLast:
...how you attach the solar blankets to your rig --- to keep tent areas cooler.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used those large, black, office clips. Bought a couple of boxes from Office Depot. Not very stylish, but it did the job. Another option would be check out what they have at the dollar store.

'99 Keystone Cabana 1700
'62 Me
'70 DW
'94 DD
'00 DD
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #17

We owned a hybrid before our current trailer, and I would buy one again under certain circumstances. We actually liked the tent feel of the hybrid. However we often use our trailer for extended trips where we are in a different town/campground every night. In this situation the set up/take down is tedious- particularly in bad weather. If you mainly use your trailer in warmer seasons to go to a destination and stay 2-3+ days in one place I think the hybrid can make sense. The objections raised by other posters are all valid if they bother you, but they may be personal preference.

Russ and Kathy
2004 Avalanche 2500
Hensley Arrow
2001 Ouback 25FB
Old 02-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #18

I think I would. Right now I'm toying with the idea of buying a hardside TT, but I'm not sure I would like it any better than the hybrid. Since I don't camp in bear country (and try not to swim with sharks as well) I'm not so concerned with security. It's easy to get seduced by all the new trailers and things one does not have, but...I just not sure I would be any happer a year from now with a hardside.

As a family we really enjoy the hybrid so I'm not in any rush to change anything.

Happy Trails...

Scott
Wife, 2 sons, 1 daughter
1999 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban 5.7LV8 3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Wanderer 182dt

Wife, 2 sons, 1 daughter
UF_Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #19

I'm with 3fan. At first the move from a popup to a hybrid was great. Now, like 3fan, we're getting awfully tired of setting up and taking down (folding out and folding in) the canvas, which can be as time consuming as on a popup and sometimes a real pain. Next time, if there is a next time, it will be something in a hardside with nothing more to pull or fold out than, perhaps, a slide. Meanwhile, money being a factor, we'll stay with the hybrid for who knows how long.
Lodebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:28 AM   #20

Free At Last,

I have a C21RBH with one tent end and we bought 2 solar blankets from Cabela's for $9.95 each and bought clips about $.49 each and just lay one next to the other and it covers the whole tent end, then clip away till it is secure. It does keep the cool in (silver side up) and keep the warm in (silver side down) and crack a little zipper on the inside of the tent end a few inches in case it is a little rainy or a little cold to eliminate condensation. No big deal and it does keep the camping feel if you were ever a tenter or in a pop up. We have so many 'things' we brought from home and without the tent end, I hardly feel like I am camping. (ie. satellite dish for hubby) so I like having the sun wake me up in the mornings and hearing all the bird chirping and the crickets at night.

Just my two cents worth!
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #21

We just got into our second trailer and we did make the move from Hybrid to Hardwall Trailer. For us it was not a matter of not likin the hybrid, it was simply a matter of space we needed something bigger.

2003 Keystone Springdale 268BHLGL
Iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #22

Since I don't even have my first one yet, I suppose it's premature to answer. But, I'm traveling with just my dogs, so I don't need as much space as a family would. I bought a hybrid that has a slide, so if I want that cozy feel of a hardsided trailer, I'll simply fold down the dinette and still have plenty of room. I'm hoping that I've chosen a nice compromise. A rig that will allow me the feel of camping when I want it, yet be large enough to avoid claustrophobia when I don't want that open feeling. I guess I was in somewhat of a unique situation in that I bought my tow vehicle at the same time as my trailer. I pick up my truck on monday and my trailer on friday after I've broken my truck in. Yahooo!!!

I love reading why people love, or don't love, their hybrids. It reinforces that I'm doing the right thing for myself, given what I know right now about what I want. So thanks all!!!

GreyhoundMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #23

We just picked up our new hybrid last week and have camped in it for only one night. We loved it! It was so much easier than the PU when breaking down. Whether we move up to a full hardsided trailer in the future remains to be seen, as we love the canvas bunkends. It still feels like tent camping. I can lay in the bed at night and watch the stars, and in the morning I can watch the sunrise. It is the best of two worlds!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #24

The one thing we knew is that we wanted to get rid of tent ends. So we went to the expandable hardside TT. The best thing we did and we open to almost 32 feet. You might look into one of these. There is a KZ dealer over in your area.

1999 F-150
Sportsman2505qss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #25

We just brought home our new Starcraft 21sso hybrid. It is our first. I will let you know if we buy another one. I think our old 1999 Coleman Nevada was possibly the best trailer ever. Probably the best trailer we will ever have had.

Hiddenmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:03 PM   #26

We made the mistake of getting a Rockwood Roo so our thoughts about Hybrids are not all that positive. One of these days we expect to donate the Roo to the Navy to use as an anchor for one of their battleships and then we'll consider what to go with next.

USN Retired
TheWayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #27

YES Our TrailManor has been great. We started out in a popup for the first 4 years which was also great, but now we have all the covenances of home as well as a lot more security and privacey.With the TrailManor we don't have to deal with wet canvases what a great camper

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #28

Chuck & Mickey,
I went to your website, but I don't see any information on the ROO and the problems you seem to have had.
What has happened since you first got it.
The web site seems to show a lot of camping trips in it - did it go down hill quickly at some point?
Thanks,
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv