Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #29

Jody & Jeff:

Check this Webshots Photo Album for The Rest of the Story!

The problems started on the first trip and have continued. I left it off my home page hoping Forest River would really give me some satisfaction, but such has not been the case. Guess it's time to add the link and change my comments about the Roo experience.

Went out to the storage lot today to get a couple of items out of the Roo. Found about 1/2 gal of water "cradled" in the folds of the rear canvas and about as much on the floor from the last rain. It never ends!

USN Retired
TheWayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #30

Hi Kathy,

We just this month traded our Jayco 17A Kiwi for our first MH. We transfered our "stuff" from the Kiwi to the MH and is was very sad indeed. We loved the Kiwi and our only reason for trading was that we will be part-timing in a couple of years and found a really good deal on our "new" 1999 Chieftian. The Kiwi provided 3 great years of camping and enjoyment. Never had any problems with this hybrid! We were always cozy and warm when needed and in the heat turned on the AC. The Kiwi took about 20 minutes to set up or take down. The tent end bunks were as comfortable as ever. You get the best of both worlds..camping and convenience of a self-contained trailer. Our whole family used it and loved it! NO regrets on this purchase..and the dealer has already sold the Kiwi in the middle of NH winter.

Sandy

Kiwi 17a traded :-(
1999 Chieftian 35U :-)
looking for a toad

FMCA F356563

WIT

FMCA F356563
BirdWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 PM   #31

My wife and I have gone a little different route on the hybred front we purchaced a Trail Manor While it does not have the Bunk ends the beds do slide out making for a nice roomy interior. And the best part is NO condensation because of the insulation I wold guess While we hope to buy a class c for the 2006 seson we still enjoy our TM and can't wait for winter to end so we can go campin

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #32

I never have one ! I have a pop up an and hardshell tt. Camping is an evolution. We all start with the basic tent and our needs grow up after. So no one can be all at the same point at the same time.

Enjoy what you have for now and dream for future!

Ps I will sale my pop up at spring. What I prefer from my Trailer is the quiet feeling when its noisy outside and all the comfort. But it's far from the basic feeling!

Bye
Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #33

We wouldn't get another HTT. Some of the reasons are because of our circumstance. It is at a storage facility and it is really inconveinent to air it out if we put it away wet. We had a P/U that I could expand in the garage with no problem.

We like the ammenities but figure if we are going to get 10mpg we should concider something with more room and less set up time. We like the HTT concept and we're glad we tried it but there is only two of us and we'll be ready to go full timing shortly.

96 Honda VFR750
Zeppi-popout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #34

Probably. I started out tenting, then a pop-up, then a 5'er, then two Class C's (not at the same time), then another pop-up and now a hybrid which I really like. One day, however, I'd like to go back to a Class C but for the time being....my hybrid is my rolling home.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #35

Would we buy another hybrid again? Yes AND no. Yes, with our limited knowledge at the time. No, because now hindsight is 20/20.

We are weary of the tented beds. Love the brightness and roominess, but you cannot keep noise out. We are campground hosts and spend a lot of time at the campground. Also, we are tired of the extra setup/teardown and weather related issues. Currently we're interested in a small travel trailer with a rear hard-walled slide bed.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #36

Chuck and Mickey-after looking at your web site, had you actually seen this trailer before you bought it? We are currently looking at a Shamrock 21RS (hard-walled expandable bed) and saw nothing wrong with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheWayfarer:
We made the mistake of getting a Rockwood Roo so our thoughts about Hybrids are not all that positive. One of these days we expect to donate the Roo to the Navy to use as an anchor for one of their battleships and then we'll consider what to go with next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #37

Perhaps one with a slide-out to give a little more floor space. Going from a pop-up to a hybrid, I couldn't go back.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #38

I realize I am responding to this post several years after the last post, so maybe hybrids have improved.

We absolutely love our 2012 Jayco X17Z, and would go this route again. I wouldn't trade the small, lightweight towing unit that opens up to a MUCH larger living space. And that living space is light, bright and airy. On a pretty day, there is absolutely nothing like opening the tent ends and letting in all that light and fresh air.

We have never had a leak problem with the tent ends, and we have camped in a couple serious downpours. We are able to stay warm at under 30 degrees using sleeping bags, wool blankets and the trailers heater. The condensation issues are easily dealt with with bunk fans and pop-up gizmos.

I wouldn't mind having a slightly larger hybrid, but I would still go the hybrid route for sure!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I agree

We are on our 2nd hybrid.

First was a 2005 Aerolite that we spent 380 nights in, then we bought a 2013 Aerolite back last March...The new one is a foot longer with a larger slide...I would only get a hybrid with a slide....

2013 Aerolite (#232E)

2005 Aerolite (#236)

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #40

Not sure...

Although I love my trailer, I am not sure I would do it again. The reason I do like it is that for 2 couples the 2 queen size beds are nice, otherwise you have one queen and 2 bunks. And although it it less work than my pop up was, it still takes time to open it and make the beds. I am moving to a seasonal site this year, and will get much more use from my camper, but just not looking forward to having to open everything up every time. I would love to find a hard side trailer that has 2 queen beds!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #41

The first trailer we bought was a rockwood roo hybrid bh. There were pluses but we were excited when we replaced with a 5th wheel. The tent doesnt block any outside sound and we woke up to vapor drips one night. Also, it seemed the seal on the tent side had a slight leak.
Whether psychological or not, we feel safer in a solid wall unit.
I'd consider one again if it was just me and a buddy or SO, with out kids, and it saved me upgrading a tv.

I have the dw and 2 daughters. They love the fiver.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #42

HTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, I agree

We are on our 2nd hybrid.

First was a 2005 Aerolite that we spent 380 nights in, then we bought a 2013 Aerolite back last March...The new one is a foot longer with a larger slide...I would only get a hybrid with a slide....

2013 Aerolite (#232E)

2005 Aerolite (#236)

Hey Superslif, I see you are towing that with a V8 runner, we have an '04 V8 runner. What is the dry weight of your HTT and how does the runner tow it?

We are considering either the rockwood roo 21dk or the jayco x213. How is the quality of the aerolite?

Tags
kz-rv