Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sorry for the delay. That was an old post (2012) With that being said. there is a difference between the 04' & 05' V-8 4Runners. The 04' had 235 HP the 05' was rated at 280 HP. The 05' had Variable Valve timing on the cam. I know my 05' was rated for 7200 lbs of towing. 750 lbs. tongue weight without a WD hitch and 1100 lbs with a WD hitch. Sorry for the delay. That was an old post (2012) With that being said. there is a difference between the 04' & 05' V-8 4Runners. The 04' had 235 HP the 05' was rated at 280 HP. The 05' had Variable Valve timing on the cam. I know my 05' was rated for 7200 lbs of towing. 750 lbs. tongue weight without a WD hitch and 1100 lbs with a WD hitch. I actually waited for the 2005 4Runners to come out in Jan of 2005 to get the higher HP. version. As a daily driver, it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Silky smooth ride, even after 9 years, the 05' had the X-Reas suspension which connected each opposite shock to each other.

My 2013' Aerolite is a foot long, 500 heavier and 7" taller than the 05' Aerolite hybrid. I was at about 5200 lbs loaded weight for the 2013 Aerolite. The 4Runner pulled both just fine. But with that said, I wouldn't want to pull any more that the 25' hybrid I have now, even thou it is rated to tow 7200 lbs. I was getting 12 mpg with the 05' tt and 11mpg on the taller 2013 tt, while traveling at 58 to 60 mph.

The two tt's you mentioned are a hair lighter than my 2013, but with 3 kids, you will easily surpass that.( My 13' was 4300 lbs dry ) Personally I would get a unit with a slide. That Jayco gives you the bed space, but without a slide it will feel closed in when the weather is crappy and all 5 of you are trapped inside. Our 13' with the couch and the kitchen in the slide really opens up the whole space so the 3 of us have our own area to relax. I get the couch....

Back to the 4Runner. We traded it in a few months back for a 2014 Tundra 5.7L double cab. For a 9 year old Toyota it looked great. The exterior was very good, the interior was like new, 53k miles. The undercarriage was rustier than you could believe. I live in Ohio the rust belt. I did get 14k trade value. That was our 3rd 4Runner (90' 99' & 05') and all red.

In my opinion with 5 people and the lower HP. 2004 4Runner your a little over capacity for the two tt's your looking at.

Yes, the main reason we bought a 2nd Aerolite was because the 05' with 380 nights camped held up very well. So far we have 110 nights in the 2013 (two full seasons, bought March of 2012). The Aerolite's were a little more $$ than most of the other hybrids out at the time, but we got a super deal on the 2013. Aerolite doesn't make many hybrid floorplans the last few years. Back in 2005 they had 10 or 12 floorplans, the last few years maybe 2-3 floorplans. The #232E we have now was only offered in 2012 & 2013.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #44

I know this is a old post, but the answer is NO! They are too hard to get up into the beds & out for us older campers.

Scott

Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #45

No because I didn't like the set-up of the beds. I have a TT now & it's easier to keep cool, no tent ends to dry out/keep clean/fold up, less outside sounds.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I can see where getting the bunk ends up can be an issue. Were on our second hybrid (2013), but to get the sleeping room (beds) for us we would have to get a 30'+ tt. Even some sub 30' floorplans only have 54" couches. I need at least a 62" couch and sleeping room for the three of us.

With the Tundra, it will give use more options in the future for a non-hybrid tt. But for now the 26' hybrid offers two queen beds, full 62" couch, large pit dinette, 54 galloon fresh tank, ample counter space, excellent cabinet storage, wide aisle-way with the couch/kitchen slide.

So I'll be on the fence as to "Would I buy another hybrid". Any new tt wound have to have at least what I have now.....under a 30'+ package.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #47

Hybrid

Sure glad I happened upon this forum, my wife and I are tent campers and are looking at both hybrids and TT we like the size of a hybrid with a slide but there are concerns about leakage and such the concern about a TT is to get any room you have to go over 27 ft. That being said heres where we camp, we like state campgrounds ( VT) (NY) national forest CG we cannot fathom going to a KOA and camping or anything where you are parked 10ft from someone also we avoid all holidays for that same reason. Currently we go 1-3 or 4 nights at a time and usually I will get there a day before and set up if we are close to home I actually enjoy the setting up part as we have a 12x12 tent and a ez up gazebo with walls. One concern I have about the hybrid is the setup as I have arthritis on the same token I don't think it will feel like camping being enclosed in a TT. Any input would be great. Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #48

VT

I've owned nothing but hybrids. I started off as a back country camper and find the hybrids to be the next best thing. I couldn't imagine a camper that didn't allow me to open up as much as a hybrid does.

You also get a lot more camper on a shorter trailer, less weight as well

The only downside I see is the hybrids tend yo have less storage space so you spend more time setting up and taking down with putting things away etc
Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #49

We switched from a hybrid to a class A because we tend to spend long times in the RV (3 week trips) and often end up in commercial campgrounds because we require internet or cell/data connections to work. We loved the idea of the hybrid but we didn't like hearing our neighbors, cars, etc. day and night. We also needed more capability like a generator and more storage space.

If we were boondocking with friends in remote areas, we'd stick with the hybrid. We never had issues with leaking seals, poor construction, etc. In fact, our Jayco X20E is built MUCH better than our Outlaw. It just didn't serve our purpose as well as we had hoped.

My suggestion is first see what kind of camping you are going to do and go from there.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #50

As far as camping we are tenter's going 2-3 days at a time 6-8 times a yr BUT having a camper will extend that also cannot see ourselves in a KOA type setting mostly state campgrounds.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In our 26' hybrid I would have to go to a 30'+ tt to get the space we have now. Also 30' or 31' you end up with a useless 48" couch. We have a 64" couch I use often. There are some hybrids out there now with slides on both sides. Wow... Lots of room. Our slide is only the couch and kitchen minus the frig, but offers plenty of space for us two and our 20 year old son.

We also camp 95% of the time we stay in the state parks of OH, PA, NY and VT.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #52

Superslif,
We also camp 95% of the time we stay in the state parks of OH, PA, NY and VT

If ever coming up to southern VT I can tell you about a couple great campgrounds
Old 11-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #53

We just moved up from a pop up and I would do it again in a NY minute!!! I absolutely love our HTT. We went from taking 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours of set up time and tare down time in the pop up to about 45 minutes, (we are still newbies with our HTT, I'm sure as we learn the time will get faster), not to mention lots more room to move around and even entertain guests!! We are sold!!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
If ever coming up to southern VT I can tell you about a couple great campgrounds
We actually thinking about a 2015 summer VT. trip. Most of the time we do one or two VT. State Parks (Gifford Woods, Half Moon Pond, Lake St. Catherine) along with a stay at Lake Dunmore's Kamperville.

Any suggestions for other state parks in VT.?

Quote:
We just moved up from a pop up and I would do it again in a NY minute!!! I absolutely love our HTT. We went from taking 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours of set up time and tare down time in the pop up to about 45 minutes, (we are still newbies with our HTT, I'm sure as we learn the time will get faster)
Once we get backed in, without any glitches, we can get everything set up in 20-25 minutes. My wife handles the inside stuff, my son & me do the uotside stuff.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #55

Once you get the process done, sub-30 is an easy achievement. I think we were down to 15-20 minutes from arrival at our spot to searching for channels on the TV. A little teamwork goes a long way!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
We actually thinking about a 2015 summer VT. trip. Most of the time we do one or two VT. State Parks (Gifford Woods, Half Moon Pond, Lake St. Catherine) along with a stay at Lake Dunmore's Kamperville.

Any suggestions for other state parks in VT.?

Once we get backed in, without any glitches, we can get everything set up in 20-25 minutes. My wife handles the inside stuff, my son & me do the uotside stuff.
Since you will be near by a must try is Jamaica State park right on the river and an awesome hike to the damn (which almost burst during Tropical Storm Irene2011) or about 10 miles away the nicest campground in the area is Winhall Brook owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, you can camp on the beach or right on the river as well either one puts you in the heart of the Mtns with fantastic views and hiking.

Tags
kz-rv