Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Expandables, Hybrids, & Lightweights Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
Would You Buy A Hybrid Again?

To all you hybrid owners - If you were to do it over again would you purchase another hybrid or would you get something else? I have a popup now and I want to get something else eventually but there are so many options it is hard to decide. I don't want anything too big.

2000 Coleman Sedona

2000 Coleman Sedona
kathyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
Absolutely - I would do it again in a heartbeat. I like the idea of towing a 21 ft trailer which opens to the equivalent of a 28 ft trailer. Plus it is versatile - I can leave it closed up and it will still sleep 4 for a quick overnight on a long trip. There is also the advantage of that feeling of security you get with a hard side, but that outdoors feeling while sleeping in the open bunk ends.

2001 Jayco Kiwi 21C pulled with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

2001 Jayco Kiwi 21C pulled with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
We got ours for a great price. This being our first hybrid and our second camper overall, I think we made the right decision.

I would echo ftwildernessguy's comments about it opening up to the equivalent of a larger TT. Our 17 footer is surprisingly spacious despite its smaller profile. And without all the extra weight of a typical TT, it just makes more sense for us.

To answer your question...YES!

'99 Keystone Cabana 1700
'76 Starcraft Starmaster 8 <--[FOR SALE]
'62 Me
'70 DW
'94 DD
'00 DD
2007 K-Z Spree 320BHS
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD
Photo Gallery
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:34 AM   #4
I don't think I would. I dislike the tent ends much more than I expected. Too much light in the mornings, too much condensation in winter nights, folding up while still wet, etc.

Since you already have a pop up, maybe you know these arent drawbacks for you.

They are a neat concept, and I do really like the openness during the nice mellow spring and summer months, but on the whole I would probably buy a hard sided TT if I knew then what I know now...

Bantam 17
camperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:33 AM   #5
If our circumstances were the same we would absolutely buy another hybrid. It just makes sense for us right now. We deal with the condensation by keeping our tent end fans running and we deal with the light in the morning by covering the tent ends with solar blankets. They have them at Camping World for about $15.00 each. Besides keeping the tent ends darker, they keep the canvas clean and dry so you do not have to pack up wet. And they help regulate the temperature in the tents, keeping them warmer when it is cool outside and cooler in the summer. We love our hybrid and plan to keep it until we are able to go "part-time, full time" in about 5 years. Light weight, easy to tow and tons of room.

Donna & Stan

2003 SunValley XK23SD
2003 Toyota Tundra 4 X 4
Molly the Camping Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Tassy the Non-Camping Cat
Donna & Stan

Luv2Camp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
We would!! In fact when we decide to move up it will be for a longer hybrid. We love the tent ends (more like tent camping which we loved) and like others have said gives you more living space. We got the 19ft because thats the most we could get using our Trailblazer. When I get a truck we will move up to a 23 or 25 with a slide.

03 Surveyor SL190T
02 Chevy Trailblazer

Wolfe59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
To be honest, I'd like to eventually get away from the canvas ends. That being said, I might be willing to consider hard end hybrids, but only a few makes out there, and I won't buy anything else from Fleetwood so that rules out the most popular of that type.

I think my next trailer will be fully enclosed hardsided unit, but that may be a year or 2 away! I really do like my current Hybrid, but due to concerns mentioned above, plus the fact I'm not getting any younger! My next unit may even be that coveted 5er I've been wanting!

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping "˘ net
Victory Lane Online
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #8
We love our Kiwi and Im really glad that we bought our hybrid. However, I do have to admit that our next camper will most likely be a 100% hardshell TT. Its not that I dont like the bunk ends...because we really do. It's really more for the fact that IM GETT'N LAZY!! When we first got our Kiwi last year, it seemed like so much less work than the pop-up. But, now that we camp with many others with hard shells.... I can really see myself moving into one.

Really, I think we all vary. If you feel like you might enjoy a hybrid, I say go for it!! We have had a great time in ours this year and plan to keep it for quite a few more.

2001 Jayco Kiwi 21C

2004 Frontier 2505
3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
I can't say we wouldn't buy another Hybrid. So far we like ours and it is a huge upgrade from the PU. But, I can say that we have aspirations of moving up to being a pompus 100' Class A'er or 5'er, some day. Just kiddin'. We would like to go bigger in the MH or 5'er area one day. The nice thing about the RV industry is that they do a very good job of accomodating everyone from those w/the most limited budget to the very wealthy. W/over 8 billion makes, models, & styles, out there, there is certainly an RV perfectly suited for everyone.

Ken, Dawn, Jana (10) & Kat (7)
'01 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4wd
'03 Palomino 21SDSL
Our Photos
Ken, Dawn, Jana (10), Kat (7) & Winnie (the wienie dog)

'04 F350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, CC, SRW, short box, FX4, w/camper pkg
MarAgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:39 AM   #10
Question for LovetoCamp53 --- re: solar blankets placed over canvas beds. We also have a hybrid, are fulltimers living in it since September. We're volunteering in the n. Georgia mts and the coldest it's been is 15 at nite. Thank GOD for electric blankets! Altho' we stay comfy here, I think about warm summers and wonder how you attach the solar blankets to your rig --- to keep tent areas cooler. Any info appreciated! Also - so far, no problems with condensation. Wonder why . . .

The longer I live, the slower I go. This is a GOOD thing.
Jeanne (mom),Autumn (daughter), Panda in a KZ Frontier, going from job to job!
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #11
Without a dought Our TrailManor pulls great mabey better than our popup did and it sets up in about 1/3rd the amount of time.much more security and our own bathroom if we are somwere that we would rather not use the facilites

2619 TrailManor
White Lightning F-150

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
I agree with all the other posts about loving ourhybrid but I would not go with a tent end again. I have had a seam leaking problem fromthe start( Yes I have seam sealed with all types of things) and my $500. pop up didn't have this problem. The dealer will tell you this is a fair weather uint. I camp year round and did in a pop-up as well. A Plus is no cold nights heater works great. Air works great too. Noise is a issue at crowded campgrounds. They are very easy to set up and getting home chores are much eaiser. I matters where and When you want to camp.
hikingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
I would buy another one. The one we have is jsut the right size for my family of four. the only suggestion to Trail-lite, is put a skylight in the bathroom above the tub. A 6' tall, it does get a bit cramped to shower, but hey.

Bob Schrodt
MSG, US Army

2002 Bantam Traillite 23-SB
1999 Chevy Tahoe
Bob Schrodt

MSG (Ret), US Army
Armycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:42 AM   #14
Definetly not.

I agree witha couple of honest post's here already.

1. Not secure with tenting materials. My wife was always jumpy....

2. I hated the noise the tent material let in. ( AND OUT ) If you know what I mean...

3. Having to set the unit up in the garage or patio to let the tent material "dry out" was less than convienant.

4. Setup at night was not fun.

5. Heating was impossible. HOT as **** or cold as ice age...one extreme to the other...and that darn fan noise!

06 Jayco Granite Ridge 31 SS

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote