Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
my ww came with one 12volt battery. not sure of the brand. My buddy gave me a 12volt Trojan. will I gain anything running 2 different brand/rating or will the stronger battery drain the weaker?

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
my ww came with one 12volt battery. not sure of the brand. My buddy gave me a 12volt Trojan. will I gain anything running 2 different brand/rating or will the stronger battery drain the weaker?

Steve

Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
it is alledgedly never optimum to mix and match batteries with different type ratings or different age, but i have done it in my RV's. And the batteries have seemingly lasted a 'lifetime'. Maybe luck of the draw.

They will very probably charge at different rates though, the two different batteries, so IF you are going to go this route, charge them seperately, not in parallel. One may need a longer slower charge. They will also discharge at different rates too, so one will inevitably be getting worn out quicker then the other.

But, like i said, when i 'forgot' to tell my dealer to DELETE the 12 volt battery from one of my trailers years ago and got 'ripped off' for the price of it, ... well you use what you got for one reason or another. And it lasted the 3 years i abused it by letting it run down to a zero charge and also run dry. I wanted an excuse to go out and buy a series of deep-6 batteries and never really got it.

I now have the Deep-6 batteries on my current RV, and i still have that deep-12 in my garage that i use emergencies.

One 12 volt is going to run down quick while boondocking. I personally would put the two of them together .... and when they give up their life eventually, go buy 2 or 4 deep-6 trojans.

So i guess my answer to your question of "can I , should I??" ..... well theory frowns on it, but my experience says you'll do it since you now own it anyway.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #4

That reminds me...I still have the two 12v Group 24's that I changed out when I got my 6v's...anyone need a brand new set of Interstates? PM me...

6-volt all the way...only drawback is the weight. I resisted for the longest time, but now know the ways!!