Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #1

Did we ever figger out we AZ residents get another 1000 lbs GVW? I went a checked mine, only 15k. So with the fiberglass sides and the wide-slide that puts me at 12k+, with water and propane. Then all my cr@p as well, I have 1550 lbs left over, which is fine, I don't have anything that weighs more than that. Four quad might push it, but I'll never carry four quads AND two full tanks or water (150 gallons) more than a few miles. Even so, it sounds like it's a state thing that CA doesn't allow. Feed back?

Rod

WW LE3505
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #2

Did we ever figger out we AZ residents get another 1000 lbs GVW? I went a checked mine, only 15k. So with the fiberglass sides and the wide-slide that puts me at 12k+, with water and propane. Then all my cr@p as well, I have 1550 lbs left over, which is fine, I don't have anything that weighs more than that. Four quad might push it, but I'll never carry four quads AND two full tanks or water (150 gallons) more than a few miles. Even so, it sounds like it's a state thing that CA doesn't allow. Feed back?

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Rod

With all that capacity left over you need to go buy something else.

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, my total for the trailer is around 15,700 when loaded but since 3200 or so is on the pin and only 12 and change is on the axles, I don't worry about it. Its always nice to be way under the specs but then you wouldn't be like everyone else, overloaded and proud of it.

I'm sure because of the licensing deal in Ca that that has something to do with them not wanting to change the Gross weight.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
yea Tom, it really isn't a big deal to me either, but I want to know too !
if nothing else it is some kind of an insurance policy that is a little more help in never being overweight, some kind of value added to the trailer.
I have a feeling it has something to do the the big bad CA trailer licensing
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #5

Mike & Tom:

Precisely...I think maybe a little too much has been emphasized on the GVWR rating lately, but to to those who have worried- it IS a sticker that the highways cops may look at, and I think the concern is justifiable. BUT...the limited factor with WW's is the GVWR sticker (especially here in CA), where the actual construction's capacity is "comfortably" over that amount (even with 15" Load D's). Having a sticker that shows 16k will just as quickly get us in trouble (here in CA) as a TH over that actual weight amount. Which to go for? The ticket NOT having a commercial license, or a ticket being overweight? I'd take the first anytime...the latter is scaled to the amount of overweight and can be up to $2000 in fines. I seriously doubt the license fo-pah is anywhere close to that. Plus, the license issue can be fought- the weight one can't. The license can also be "had"- the weight ticket's money will be long gone.

Now that said, I think CA has just been slow to upgrade their requirements, not to mention they're just out-for-the-money. I think if you're gonna break that rule, the KEY is not to break any others. Like my bestfriend says: "Never break two laws at the same time". Safe, courteous driving will ward off 80% of the "beasts"...then you only got to worry about that cop that is bored outta his mind.

And I'm darn confident the 16k sticker is an AZ thing- like I said, in CA, it takes a commercial license (like those WW CL guys who are rated @ 17k).

Sean
Old 08-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #6

Maybe it is wrong to think this way, but a majority of my concern is that I over weigh a trailer that is only rated for 15k and break something. Sure, that other stuff is always in the back of my mind but I am more worried about the "straw that breaks the camels back". When I see a 15k rating, does that mean I can get away with 16-17k? Say there's 1500-2000lbss at the pin and three axles rated at 5k a piece. 17k, right? Where's a engineer when you need them? I think I'm putting too much thought into this.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #7

The axles on the newer models of Warriors are rated at 6000lbs each. The brakes are rated at 7000lbs each.
The limiting factor is the tires.
I sure hope I get a 16,0000lbs GVWR sticker on my new trailer.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I sure hope I get a 16,0000lbs GVWR sticker on my new trailer. [/QUOTE]<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They give you a delivery date yet?

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 AM   #9

well my 40' tripple axle unit has 3, 7000 lbs axles,

not that there is any difference really between the 5 and 7,

my gvw is 18,000

but anyway , here is what i can't believe,
is why you guys put up with all those stupid rules in ca.

i just got stopped coming back from the dunes the other month,
in az, at litchfeild and the 10( they had a road block ) ---and the d.o.t. and the phoenix cops, wanted to pull my fuel to see if i was running red ( and i am ) and they wanted to put me on the load cells and weigh me, ----(which on the way back from the dunes i am way under on everthing anyway )

but what i am getting at is I WOULDN"T LET THEM PULL FUEL , OR WEIGH ME !!

i told them to get a warrant,
and then they ran my permenet licens , on the trailer and the plate on my truck ( and all my stuff is registered to a blind trust in nassa bahama, and i have an international drivers licens in a different idenity ,
so they couldn't even get my correct name or find a true address)

and it ****** them off, but they let me go ,

and they were aresting lots of guys, running red ,
and giving out tickets for overweight comerical trucks.

i am not some weird anti wacko guy.

i just want to be left alone , i have nothing in my name. ( it makes it real hard for them to screw with you !

i have had some run ins with cali police ,
and i had them steppen and a fetchen also .

you guys need to have privet plates on your vehicles , NOT COMERCIAL,(you can get them if you work at it )

and yes you can have fire arms in your unit, (its your home , **** i have class 3 full auto stuff in mine )

now i know this sounds strange to some,
but sooner or later you just get tired of being hasseled.

now i drive very safe and i don't do anthing stupid,

but when i get stuck in a road block, or in the dunes the play cops want to search my unit and screw with me ,they have a hard time even getting to first base.

they don't even know who me and the oldlady are,
or where my properties are , or who owns any of my stuff !

just so you guys know there is another way to look at all this stuff.

now i was in southeast asia and i fought for this great country , and i would die for it ( i almost did )

but i just want to be left alone and race my bikes .

and the world today has built the government monster that will eat you up if you let it.
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I sure hope I get a 16,0000lbs GVWR sticker on my new trailer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They give you a delivery date yet?

Rod[/QUOTE]

Off line date is 8/27, they need a week or 2 in order to get everything ready. Labor day weekend or the weekend after.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
kelstr
i have a hard time believing a couple of the things you said,..
i don't mean that I don't believe you,...I mean i have a hard time wondering WHY you believe that way ...
but being able to think that way, AND having the Grand Canyon and Oregon, are a few of the MANY things things that keep us all here in the States.

but .... your Sandpiper has a posted 18,000 GVW ? and outa curiosity, whaat are you haulin' out to the dunes?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #12

kelstr:

Hummmmm...I've never had a run-in with the cops (other than a couple speeding tickets over 20 years ago), and don't plan to in the slightest. Live by this creed: don't do anything stupid, and you don't have any reason to hide anything. Act like you are, and you'll get caught. And running red on the streets is just ludicrous- you're not just breaking the law, but cheating on taxes also. As a fellow taxpayer, I personally resent that- it's like all the people who just got to get that one more car ahead in a merging lane- no respect for those around them. I'm doing everything I can to keep my son from growing up self-centered- this world AIN'T helping!

If the cops wanna search my vehicle, they gladly can- I'm not hiding anything, and as long as they're decent about it, I'll let them. THAT is called respect.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #13

kelstr,

I have to side with my boys Sean and Mike on this one. I don't think I would ever have to worry about getting weighed or even being pulled over because I try not to put out a "red flag" like speeding or driving reckless. Sure, road blocks suck, but they are there for a reason. And when I do get pulled over I never have a problem with cops serching what I am driving or pulling as long as it's within reason. Good for you on the gun thing, so do I, I think we are carry when we travel, just not full auto, your not fighting a war, your protecting you family. It's your right to own a gun as a law abiding citizen. (NRA member since 1993) The problem here is your sending out mixed messages. On the one hand you feel that the cops should just leave you alone because your doing nothing wrong, them you follow up by saying you use red die deisel and bring atuomatic weapoms into the state of California that has had an asault weapons ban since the early 90's....

You sound like a free spirit, thats great, I think we all are to a certain point. I just think you need to contain a little of it though. Thats just me.
Do drugs and worship Satan for all I care.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Sean, Rod.. Hooah! My hat's off to you guys. Well stated responces. Have a great day!

Closed Thread