Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #15

Mikey:

I figured you took that other fork in the road!

And you cudda erased your post, and if you were REALLY good, you cudda erased it from our minds!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #16

Here is my install of the Costco Inverter. This cabinet is right next to the battery compartment. I have 2 12V batteries dedicated to this inverter and a 800W in my storage compartment. My trailer is so sealed that I can't find a way to wire it in like Howie has, so I just run an extension cord and a junction box and plug in what I need. I'm going to install a solar panel or two later this year to keep the inverter batteries charged.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
My trailer is so sealed that I can't find a way to wire it in like Howie has, so I just run an extension cord and a junction box and plug in what I need. I'm going to install a solar panel or two later this year to keep the inverter batteries charged </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Clark,

I had to be very creative to run the 110v Romex
wire from the inverter (located in the front
"basement" compartment) to the circuit breaker
(located in a interior cabinet under the oven)
I was able to run it close to the ABS pipe and
hidden behind my kitchen sink and oven cabinets.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the
solar panels... so I can do the same

Howie
Old 06-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #18

I got everything installed just like the diagram, with the exception of I added a second "inverted" circuit. So I ended up with two separate lines of Romex going from the inverter to the switch, and I spliced into two circuit breakers on the panel instead of just one. So I can use any of the outlets inside/outside of the trailer.

I started removing panels inside the trailer trying to decide where to run the Romex, but I opted for just punching it through the floor and following all the other wires under the chassis right to the panel. It may not last forever, but I'm sure this particle board and plastic pallace will fall apart long before the Romex does.

HOWEVER...
I could not find the 150 amp/12 volt circuit breaker anywhere, and everywhere I went they all said "Why do you need it?". They all pointed out that the inverter should have it's own fuse, and when switched off the little green light only pulls a microscopic amount of juice.

So right now I've got it all hooked up with no switch or fuse or breaker between the inverter and the battery. Can somebody explain why I need it? And why so big...150 amp?

BTW...thanks Howie for all the help and your time writing me back!

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS http://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #19

Well I realized that there is not a fuse or breaker built in to the inverter. So I will put one on.

Howie...are you able to switch from the generator/shore power setting to the inverter setting while the generator is running or the shore power is hooked up?

I figured I was covered because the switch has the center "off" position, a break in the connection before switching over.

Well...I had the generator running and I switched it to inverter. BAWAAP! Cooked that puppy, smoke and everything. Must've back-fed 110v through the Romex right into it.

A breaker/fuse on the battery side of the inverter would not have helped because the juice would already have passed through the inverter.

Luckily COSTCO has a no-questions-asked return policy and I got a new one. But I'm afraid to hook it up! I'm wondering if I have a bad switch. I triple checked all the wiring and it is the same as Howie's.

So Howie I need to know how yours works with the switching. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #20

Kris:

I just had my e-trician friend over and we figured out Howie's diagram...everything looks great except there's no explain [Lucy] on how to tie into the panel...the diagram goes into 'oblivion'...Howie: you need to expand on the connections when you get to the TH's panel, because that's what has been hanging me up so far.

I wish I had the where-with-all to do a diagram, but I'm just about at wit's end with more than just an inverter setup...HOWIE??!!! HOWIE???!!!

Sean
Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #21

I had a hard time conceptualizing the wiring........ So I started with these instructions
and diagramed what I needed to do from these directions.

It was so much easier for me to do, once I had drawn the diagram. Electrical work
and wiring are not my forte, but actually drawing a schematic...... made it so simple
to do the actual wiring.

Kris, sorry about you frying the inverter.
I'll post separately on your question
Here are some instructions I received in a private message. I then diagramed it along side the
diagram provided in the instruction manual provided with the 1500 Watt inverter
"Very simple to do. You will need the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch, an electrical box, a cover plate made for toggle switches (or just get a blank one and drill the correct size hole) some romex wire (14/2 if it's a 15amp circuit) and a wire nut.
Mount the box where you want the switch.
Unhook the romex that comes off the breaker feeding the circuit you want "inverted" (unhook all three wires...white, black and ground) Now hook it up to the center contacts of the DPDT switch with black on one side, white on the other and leave the ground hanging free for now.
Then take a new piece of romex wire and hook it up to the same breaker you just unhooked in the same fashion with the black wire going to the breaker and the white going to the neutral bus bar and ground to ground bus. Take the other end of this wire and hook it to the bottom contacts on the switch with the black wire going to the same side as the previous, white to the other side and ground hanging free.
Then take another piece of romex and hook it to the top of the switch in the same fashion. Now you can wire nut all the grounds together. Then on the other end of this wire that you put on the top contacts attach a plug end and plug it into the inverter.
That is it. So, if you flip the switch up you will be feeding the center contacts (wire to outlets) from the inverter and if you flip the switch down you will be feeding from shore power. There is no need to turn off the converter when using the inverter because you are only powering that one circuit and the converter will already be off as it is on another circuit. Just make sure the switch you get is "center off" so that it breaks the connection from one source before it makes the connection to another."
Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #22

Howie:

OK...enough with the a to z's....need pics! Gosh darn it...you came up with the "Greatest Diagram On How To Hookup Your Inverter, Except How To Hook Your 120v Inverter Line To Your Panel"... Know To Man", but you left out the 'how to blend it in with the panel'. Has that camera run outta film?

Poor 'ol Kris has a fried inverter, and we need to help...a pictorial will take me days to figure out how to post here...you've got the karma, dude!

You're so fun!

Sean
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #23

Howie,

I just noticed that you said on my signal post that you could not find my pictures of additions. My photo ID is KCKASH. Look under that name.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #24

Yup..those are the same instructions I got from you before, and I triple checked em.

The ONLY thing I can figure is that I have a faulty switch that allowed the generator to back-feed into the inverter.

OR I switched it too fast.

OR I've got something hot touching the chassis somewhere and the chassis ground is back-feeding the inverter.

I've got to go outta town for a few days. Next week I'm gonna replace both switches, then get serious with a voltage meter/tester and try to figure out what isn't working right.

I'm 99% sure that everything is wired perfectly, so I'm kinda stumped.

So Howie...you can switch over to inverter when your generator is running?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhatFireMan:
Howie...are you able to switch from the generator/shore power setting to the inverter setting while the generator is running or the shore power is hooked up?
I figured I was covered because the switch has the center "off" position, a break in the connection before switching over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I flip the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch UP..... the inverter and
battery are running the 2 TV outlets. I can have
the toaster, hair dryer, vacuum, etc plugged in
and they will work exclusively on the batteries.

I flip the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch to the MIDDLE position and
there is no power to the 2 TV outlets.

I flip the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch to the DOWN position and the
2 TV outlets work on either the generator or
shore power.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #26

I understand the concept well enough...I'm just wondering if you have actually tried switching it back and forth with either the generator running or the shore power hooked up?

I had mine all wired up and it worked fine. It was when I had the generator running and I switched it to inverter mode that it went ZAP!

Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So Howie...you can switch over to inverter when your generator is running? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...... no problem with that.

However, if you have the TV running or any
appliance.... it will shut down as the middle
position on the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch shuts the power off to all.

Flip the switch from center to up..... will
give you 110V powered by batteries.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhatFireMan:
I understand the concept well enough...I'm just wondering if you have actually tried switching it back and forth with either the generator running or the shore power hooked up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kris,

Yes, I can switch the toggle back and forth,
without problem. I have been careful to let
the switch stay in the middle (OFF) position
for few seconds before moving to the UP or DOWN
position. In theory, I don't think it shouldn't
make any difference, but I do it anyway.