Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #43

Boy...leave it to Father's Day to get in the way, eh?

I wish you many a nights of great entertainment and fun...could you possibly adopt me and my family (quickly!) so we can go with you? (Checkbook stays home, ok?)

King and Sandy need to stay here and hold down the fort...you go on and 'do you thand' and we'll carry on Garth!

You didn't 'splain the phone connector on the converter for us!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #44

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
You didn't 'splain the phone connector on the converter for us!Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just ran out to get the directions......

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">TWO-STEP VOLTAGE JACK

The two-step voltage jack (located on the top of the DLS on
the fan-end of the unit) allows switching from a long-term float
voltage of 13.6vdc up to 14.2vdc. When the included dual volt-
age plug is inserted in the jack, the voltage rises to 14.2vdc
for occasional fast charging. When the plug is removed, the
voltage drops to 13.6vdc to reduce battery water loss. WARN-
ING: To avoid battery damage, remove the Dual Voltage
Plug when quick-charging is complete.

Diagram....DUAL VOLTAGE PLUG
Diagram....DUAL VOLTAGE JACK
</span>

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #45

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
You didn't 'splain the phone connector on the converter for us!Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just ran out to get the directions...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?? You got 'directions'? I didn't get a darn thing on the converter thingamagiggey!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #46

What?? You got 'directions'? I didn't get a darn thing on the converter thingamagiggey! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither did I..... in fact I didn't get 90% of the
manuals. A couple of weeks ago, the factory sent
me all the ones I was missing.

I really don't have plans on using the "fast charging" telephone plug thingy do. We're
never in a rush to do anything anymore

Plus I don't like the warning:
<span class="ev_code_RED">WARNING: To avoid battery damage, remove
the Dual Voltage Plug when quick-charging is
complete.</span>

Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #47

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
What?? You got 'directions'? I didn't get a darn thing on the converter thingamagiggey! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither did I..... in fact I didn't get 90% of the
manuals. A couple of weeks ago, the factory sent
me all the ones I was missing.

I really don't have plans on using the "fast charging" telephone plug thingy do. We're
never in a rush to do anything anymore </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that sounds like someone who is permenantely retired- that's the spirit Howie!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #48

TTT...

Wanted to get this one back on TOP...Howie- any chance you got the install pic to reload for this? It sure did help alot of people!

If we can get this one fixed, I'd like to put a link to it in the Mod sticky...

TIA!

Sean
Old 02-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #49

Thanks a lot for this information. I just bought an inverter to run the front TV and sat receiver. I was planning on plugging and unplugging as needed. This is a pain as it is behind closed doors on the entertainment center and you have to get on your hands and knees.
I see it now, flip a switch project to work on.
Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #50

E Z Livin:

Glad to see ya here! This was/is one of the most popular threads for getting good info to alot of people...Howie's gonna see if he can get some of the pics to work hopefully!

And I LOVE your tagline...

Sean
Old 02-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #51

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Z Livin:
Thanks a lot for this information. I just bought an inverter to run the front TV and sat receiver. I was planning on plugging and unplugging as needed. This is a pain as it is behind closed doors on the entertainment center and you have to get on your hands and knees.
I see it now, flip a switch project to work on.
Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was considering this for my 95 Vectra. Would probably have to tap into the 12V power lead to the Antenna Amp. My plan is to use some 110 volt relays that would when energized send shore or gen set to the entertainment center outlets when the 110 feed is energised and then switch the 12 volt feed on to the inverter and route the inverter output to the entertainment center when the is no 110. An override switch would be used to prevent activation when automation is not desired. This could be in the form of a relay that activates only when the antenna amp is on. In other words make my own automatic transfer switch just for the entertainment center.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #52

E Z Livin:

Glad to see ya here! This was/is one of the most popular threads for getting good info to alot of people...Howie's gonna see if he can get some of the pics to work hopefully!

Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi all,

I just updated my posting and it has all the
photos of the install. Ya need to go back to the
first post which I have revised.

I'd sure rather be riding than writing.....

Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #53

Bless you Howie!! Thanks so veeeery much...looks good.

I'd also rather be out riding than sitting around with rain everywhere! You take care..have a great weekend anyway, OK?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #54

I finally did my inverter project on my 95 Vectra.

I ended up with a 700 watt constant 1800 watt surge unit from Harbor Freight which was $49 minus a 20% off coupon that I had. I installed it under the gally sink which is right above the left side of the battery box and will allow me to reset the inverter without exiting the coach. I ran a wiremold right into the main breaker box and installed 1 - 20 amp double pole double throw and 2 - 15 amp triple pole double throw relays which when energized by the presence of shore or genset power automatically switches to shore or genset power and when at rest switches to the inverter. This now controls distribution of power to the 5 recepticle circuits fed by the main panel. I have 4 - 15 amp circuits and 1 - 20 amp circuit which left me with 1 - 20 amp and 2 - 15 amp contact sets free in the relay bank. I used one of the free sets of 15 amp contacts to automatically switch off the charger/converter when running on inverter power so I won't have a looping condition from the inverter to the charger to the battery and back to the inverter which would run a 10% or so drain on the system and could cause the inverter to overheat.

Final cost was less than $100 for a fully automatic transfer system with inverter that makes inverter power available to every outlet in and outside the coach.

I did spend an extra $10 to put a nation wide 2 year over the counter replacement plan on the inverter.

With my current batteries this setup will run the fridge and entertainment system for close to ten hours straight together with enough power to make a pot of coffee and vacuum the coach once before getting a low battery signal.

I am pretty pleased with the results which makes things much more convenient in my coach now.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #55

Neil!

Excellent! Great idea! So you're using the inverter within that circuit to swamp with the genset power?

Boy...if you've got any pics or diagrams, that sure would be nice. That certainly is another option to consider when doing a inverter install!

Thanks much!

Sean
Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #56

Boy...if you've got any pics or diagrams, that sure would be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

I plan to photograph, diagram and document the final install which I won't be able to get to for a bit. I need to addres one glitch that is either a poor design or a malfunction of the original transfer switch for the genset and shore line. When you kill the genset the main transfer switch does not cut power to the main panel and allows everything in the coach to run down with the generator. I really didn't notice this until I installed my relay bank becase they tend to flutter during the rolloff of power that happens when the genset is killed. This is not very good for the TV, VCR or any other device that may be drawing any power for an electronic control circuit. My plan now is to devise a cutoff for the relay fields that is tied into the generator kill circuit so that nothing in the coach will be affected by the rolloff of power from the genset as it shuts down.

Regards,

Neil