Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #57

Hi, I just finished 56nomad's inverter install project. I wired three switches for three different circuits and ran a nwe circuit from the panel to the converter just to isolate it from the tv up front. My question is, when I plug in the little outlet tester that you use to check for proper wiring, all three lights come on. The code on the tester doesn't even show a condition with 3 lights. I get the same result even if I plug directly into the inverter outlet, so I don't think it is my wiring job. I bought a 1200 watt special from Harbor Freight when they were on sale. Can anyone enlighten me about what my outlet tester is showing? Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #58

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HarveyP:
Hi, I just finished 56nomad's inverter install project. I wired three switches for three different circuits and ran a nwe circuit from the panel to the converter just to isolate it from the tv up front. My question is, when I plug in the little outlet tester that you use to check for proper wiring, all three lights come on. The code on the tester doesn't even show a condition with 3 lights. I get the same result even if I plug directly into the inverter outlet, so I don't think it is my wiring job. I bought a 1200 watt special from Harbor Freight when they were on sale. Can anyone enlighten me about what my outlet tester is showing? Thanks, HarveyP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably the inverters approximation of a ground lug. Did you connect the case ground on the inverter to the ground of the motorhomes electrical system?

Old 09-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #59

Hi, no I didn't connect to the RV electrical panel ground. I did connect the case of the inverter to the frame of the motorhome chassis. Do I need to connect to the electrical ground in some way? Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
Old 09-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #60

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HarveyP:
Hi, no I didn't connect to the RV electrical panel ground. I did connect the case of the inverter to the frame of the motorhome chassis. Do I need to connect to the electrical ground in some way? Thanks, HarveyP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harvey,

If you have the 93761 inverter from Harbor Freight the manual instructs as follows:

2. Connect the Battery Cable (not included; #3 AWG or larger cables recommended)
lugs to the (Positive) red and (Negative) black terminals on the back of the
Inverter, see BACK above. Connect the Ground Cable (not included; #6 AWG or
larger cable recommended) lug to the Ground terminal, see BACK above. Securely
tighten.

4. Connect the Ground Cable to the appropriate location below:
a. If this unit is mounted within a vehicle with a grounded metal chassis,
attach the Ground Cable to a nearby location on the chassis.
b. If this unit is mounted in a boat or vehicle with an ungrounded chassis,
attach the Ground Cable to the vehicle's grounding system.
c. ONLY if this unit is being used outside a vehicle,
attach the Ground Cable to the Negative Terminal of the Inverter.

SKU 93761 Page 5 For technical questions, please call 1-800-444-3353.

Operation
Warning: NEVER operate this inverter unless it is properly grounded.
1. Plug the 115 VAC device(s) you wish to power into the 3-prong AC Receptacles.
See FRONT above. The appliance(s) must not use more than 1,200 (total) watts
during continuous operation, otherwise it may overload the Inverter.
Caution: Some rechargeable appliances may damage the Power Inverter or the
appliance. When first using a rechargeable device, check the inverter's temperature
for the first 10 minutes. If it becomes abnormally hot, do not use this
device with the Inverter.
2. Flip the Power Switch to the ON position to turn on. Do not use the appliance
until the power LED illuminates.
3. Turn on appliance. If an alarm sound is heard, turn off the appliance.

The best advice I can give you is make sure that you have followed the instalation and operation instructions from the manual and then call the Toll Free number and ask the Harbor Freight Techs for further instruction.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #61

I have now connected the inverter ground lug to the ground wire of the RV electrical panel. Still shows all three lights on the outlet tester which isn't even listed on the tester as a code to expect. Has anyone out there ever tried an outlet tester on an inverted circuit? What results did you get? I need to try a test when I'm running on generator power. That will have to wait a few days. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum, it's a lifesaver. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
Old 09-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #62

Very interesting thread....

For the person asking about the convertor being able to keep up the batteries charged while running the inverter....If you have an Iota convertor....do yourself a favor and get a IQ4 charge wizzard. It turns the converter into a 3 step charging system....it senses the batteries and gives the appropiate charge....it will charge will all available amps...which in 30 for my trailer....instead of the 2 amp trickle charge. The manual phone jack adaptor is dangerous because you will cook your batteries if you forget you have it plugged in.

I ran a small invertor in my trailer...purchased at costco....I never thought about this wiring concept....I ran 2 seperate outlets around where the tv's are located and labeled the outlets...this was tons of work...it would have been much easier to wire the invertor as per the instructions...I may purchase the bigger invertor and can the little one....and wire it up to feed a whole bank of outlets....very good idea...thanks for the detailed instructions.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #63

Hey James!! Good to see ya here!

Yep....if there was a vote for the most interesting and informative thread on the WWW, this would be it. If only the Mfr's did such a good job documenting what needs to be done!

But the real caveat here is it is very specific to our brand(s) of TH's...which makes it all the better. I bet there are countless people who have abscounded this diagram for their own use (Howie...you outta google it and see if anyone's borrowed your pic!).

Howie: since I pumped you up here numerous times (), I'm having a little problem with ONE circuit on my Xantrex 3000...let's see if you can 'finger' it out...

The GFI circuit that I've plugged into the inverter keeps turning the inverter off and on...no codes, nothing out of the ordinary showing on it, and the TV circuit is fine. I've done the following:

1) checking input voltage: OK- 13.5 volts.
2) taking out the GFI, wiring the circuit together (bypassing the GFI module),
3) bypassing the override switch by using another cord to go directly to the load,
4) switching the two load cords on the inverter, and
5) plugging another device (500 watt Halogen light) into the inverter, switching BOTH outputs.

In all cases, the inverter still has a problem with the GFI circuit. OK...I've ruled out the GFI unit, which by the rules of elimination now point to the circuit that the GFI is on. Would you come to the same conclusion? If so, I intend to have WW check it on my next visit on Wednesday. Lord knows they've got plenty else to check.

Whatdayathink?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #64

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

Whatdayathink? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean, I have no ideas. Good thing that you're close to the factory

Please post when you get the problem diagnosed
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #65

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

Whatdayathink? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean, I have no ideas. Good thing that you're close to the factory

Please post when you get the problem diagnosed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey!! That's no fair Howie! You've got all the time in the world! Awwwww....now I don't know what to do...

Love ya man...
Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #66

I just up-graded to a 2000 Watt inverter

Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #67

56 geting it done....again

Looks good Howie.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #68

Howie:

What the heck's the Xantrex White box to the right of the junction box? I'm also assuming you're gonna put the 1500w inverter on the camper, right?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #69

Sean,

It is the digital readout solar panel controller. Yep.... the 1500 watt just went into the camper
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #70

56 Just how many Apple parts have you installed on that rig now?

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote