Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #1

Purchased the XPower 1500 Xantrex
inverter at Costco...... $84.79

Performance and Physical Specifications for the XPower 1500.

******Electrical performance XPower 1500****
Maximum continuous output power 1500 W
Maximum -surge power 3000 W
Output voltage 115VAC RMS ± 10 VAC
Output waveform Modified Sine Wave
Output frequency 60Hz±4Hz
Input voltage 10.5-15.0 VDC
Low voltage alarm 11.OV
Low voltage cutout 10.5V
Overvoltage cutout 15.0V
Optimum effeciency 90%
No Load current draw <0.3ADC

*****Physical Specifications****
Physical XPower 1500
Length 13.9 inches
Width 6.0 inches
Height 3.0inches
Weight 5.6 Ibs

It works for the TV... even the toaster, vacuum, computer, hair dryer. (Not all at the same time)

Here is a very inexpensive way to do the inverter.

Inverter and cables $85
DPDT Switch $11
12V circuit breaker $35
Romex wire..... pennies

Here are some instructions I received in a private message. I then diagramed it along side the
diagram provided in the instruction manual provided with the 1500 Watt inverter

"Very simple to do. You will need the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch, an electrical box, a cover plate made for toggle switches (or just get a blank one and drill the correct size hole) some romex wire (14/2 if it's a 15amp circuit) and a wire nut.

Mount the box where you want the switch.

Unhook the romex that comes off the breaker feeding the circuit you want "inverted" (unhook all three wires...white, black and ground) Now hook it up to the center contacts of the DPDT switch with black on one side, white on the other and leave the ground hanging free for now.

Then take a new piece of romex wire and hook it up to the same breaker you just unhooked in the same fashion with the black wire going to the breaker and the white going to the neutral bus bar and ground to ground bus. Take the other end of this wire and hook it to the bottom contacts on the switch with the black wire going to the same side as the previous, white to the other side and ground hanging free.

Then take another piece of romex and hook it to the top of the switch in the same fashion. Now you can wire nut all the grounds together. Then on the other end of this wire that you put on the top contacts attach a plug end and plug it into the inverter.

That is it. So, if you flip the switch up you will be feeding the center contacts (wire to outlets) from the inverter and if you flip the switch down you will be feeding from shorepower. There is no need to turn off the converter when using the inverter because you are only powering that one circuit and the converter will already be off as it is on another circuit. Just make sure the switch you get is "center off" so that it breaks the connection from one source before it makes the connection to another."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #2

Purchased the XPower 1500 Xantrex
inverter at Costco...... $84.79

Performance and Physical Specifications for the XPower 1500.

******Electrical performance XPower 1500****
Maximum continuous output power 1500 W
Maximum -surge power 3000 W
Output voltage 115VAC RMS ± 10 VAC
Output waveform Modified Sine Wave
Output frequency 60Hz±4Hz
Input voltage 10.5-15.0 VDC
Low voltage alarm 11.OV
Low voltage cutout 10.5V
Overvoltage cutout 15.0V
Optimum effeciency 90%
No Load current draw &lt;0.3ADC

*****Physical Specifications****
Physical XPower 1500
Length 13.9 inches
Width 6.0 inches
Height 3.0inches
Weight 5.6 Ibs

It works for the TV... even the toaster, vacuum, computer, hair dryer. (Not all at the same time)

Here is a very inexpensive way to do the inverter.

Inverter and cables $85
DPDT Switch $11
12V circuit breaker $35
Romex wire..... pennies

Here are some instructions I received in a private message. I then diagramed it along side the
diagram provided in the instruction manual provided with the 1500 Watt inverter

"Very simple to do. You will need the DPDT "center off" 20amp toggle switch, an electrical box, a cover plate made for toggle switches (or just get a blank one and drill the correct size hole) some romex wire (14/2 if it's a 15amp circuit) and a wire nut.

Mount the box where you want the switch.

Unhook the romex that comes off the breaker feeding the circuit you want "inverted" (unhook all three wires...white, black and ground) Now hook it up to the center contacts of the DPDT switch with black on one side, white on the other and leave the ground hanging free for now.

Then take a new piece of romex wire and hook it up to the same breaker you just unhooked in the same fashion with the black wire going to the breaker and the white going to the neutral bus bar and ground to ground bus. Take the other end of this wire and hook it to the bottom contacts on the switch with the black wire going to the same side as the previous, white to the other side and ground hanging free.

Then take another piece of romex and hook it to the top of the switch in the same fashion. Now you can wire nut all the grounds together. Then on the other end of this wire that you put on the top contacts attach a plug end and plug it into the inverter.

That is it. So, if you flip the switch up you will be feeding the center contacts (wire to outlets) from the inverter and if you flip the switch down you will be feeding from shorepower. There is no need to turn off the converter when using the inverter because you are only powering that one circuit and the converter will already be off as it is on another circuit. Just make sure the switch you get is "center off" so that it breaks the connection from one source before it makes the connection to another."

Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
56Nomad,
Sorry for the delay in reading your post, I think that my work has decided that I should have no more personal time in my life.
Say, i a question for you instead of a direct answer to your question on that particular inverter, and I admit that the price for the factory inverter/TV's is pricey,
but I would like to know how it works for you.

We have a very quiet gen in our trailer and I have just never camped anywhere that i didn't have either shore power available or the ability to turn on the gen and not bother the neighbors. This is why I personaly have never 'invertered'. I suspect that if I did have the inverter installed that you just bought, there would be times I would watch TV for a couple hours with no gen turned on and then later turn the gen on to recharge the batteries. I'm guessing you have the ONAN gen in your rig as well?. It is very quiet.
Is the convenience factor of not running the gen at specific times the lure of installing that robust inverter when you have such a generator?
(By the way, my LL3305 is scheduled for 4/23/05 We also are looking forward to it.!)
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
(By the way, my LL3305 is scheduled for 4/23/05 We also are looking forward to it.!)
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mike... We can't wait! Ours baby is
being delivered the same day as yours....
Did you get a VIN number assigned yet?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Mike... We can't wait! Ours baby is
being delivered the same day as yours....
Did you get a VIN number assigned yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'56,
you got a VIN and I haven't asked for mine yet.
sighhh,...
(if I have a reason to call my dealer within the next couple weeks I'll ask them for the number and tape the number to a picture of an LL33 and look at the pic all day thats about my excitement level too I suppose )

Interesting layout you have drawn out for your converter-inverter combo. Sometime if our rigs are parked at the same outback, i'd like to check your system out.

'till 4/23 ...

Mike
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'56,you got a VIN and I haven't asked for mine yet.
sighhh,...
(if I have a reason to call my dealer within the next couple weeks I'll ask them for the number and tape the number to a picture of an LL33 and look at the pic all day thats about my excitement level too I suppose )

Interesting layout you have drawn out for your converter-inverter combo. Sometime if our rigs are parked at the same outback, i'd like to check your system out.

'till 4/23 ...

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll have to see if our VIN# are close.
With all the WW being build at the factory,
I hope they don't run out of parts when
they get to ours
Old 04-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #7

Almost ready to see if it works....... Oh, yeah
I finally read the owners manual and they call for
a 200 amp circuit breaker (my diagram shows 100amp)

Fat Dog....... when are you picking your's up?

Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #8

It works......
Old 06-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #9

Bump....

This is just too good to be back on the 3rd page!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #10

i put a link to this thread in the Pop-Up area in a thread where Chris was working on his rig. This thread really does have a universal appeal. And speaking of which, Chris's rig is very interesting as well.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #11

Good idea Mikey...your title should be VIP-Mod (or how' bout ModVP?).

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #12

sean, you're a professional D.J.,
weren't 'the MODs' people who first followed the Beatles around, or maybe the dudes in England who rode those stupid mopeds with all those funky mirrors on them? or was it 'The Who' that they listened to? i can't get my Mods straight here
Old 06-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #13

OK Mike- you're startin' to show our age!

Actually, never had to spin any vinyl, and I stay away from any Beatles stuff as much as I can (unless it's someone's B-day, then they've got the best SonG to play), so you're on your own with that type of "Mod" thing- I thought they were just a bunch of hippies!

I just thought you deserved some special accolades for doin' your mod[erator] stuff!

Sean
Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #14

Thanks Hoss !!
(now i'm sorry i brought up that antique music reference )