Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

I thought I would post results of my conversion to 19.5" wheels and a 14 ply tire. I have a 2004 Kz toy hauler that I have had since new. I have had zero problems, except tires.... First the oem tires, not sure what brand they were, but 2 blow outs and a lot of body damage on one trip to Florida so all new tires, hankooks, I know, not a good choice but I used them on some of my other trailers without problems. Then again another trip to Florida, three tires on one trip..... More body damage. Then to goodyear marathons, 2 blow outs on a trip to Kentucky. So now on to 19.5" after quite a bit of research and some work. I had to lower the springs and move them out on the spring mounts to gain some space and height. Then I braced the perches with welded channel connecting the spring mounts. Worked out perfect! I just got back from a 2400 mile trip. The trailer is much more stable, less bounce, and I gained a tad over 1mpg on the entire trip! Couldn't be happier! Don't hesitate to ask any questions! I would recommend it to anyone thinking about it, no tire worries anymore!
Here is a few pictures.

Here is a picture of the TR

Steve
Scox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both of the trailers I had liked to blow tires almost faster than I could change them.

In both cases I went "one size larger" other than new rims to accomadate the larger tires (and a new wheel bearing on one trailer, but that was not done at the same time) I made no changes... Save instead of blowing a tire nearly every time I went many years without a flat. .... Many years. On one of them the last 3 flats were caused by.

Valve stem failure (2) and pot hole (1).

On the other the ONLY flat was old age. (on the way to the dealer to pick up this motor home in fact).
Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
The 19.5" conversion is interesting. A number of us have upgraded to 17.5" wheels and tires from the OEM 16" stuff. The 17.5" conversion using 215/75R-17.5" tires is actually about 1/2" shorter in overall outside diameter than the LT235/85R-16 OEM tires and requires no modifications. I went from load range G Goodyear G614 RSTs with a 3750 lb load rating @ 110 PSIG to load range J Michelin XTAs with a 4805 lb load rating @ 120 PSIG, but many other comparable 17.5" tires are available (Goodyear G114, for example).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Looks pretty close to your wheel wells. So who makes 19.5 wheels with the eight lug one ton bolt pattern?

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

The wheel wells were close, I did have to trim them some at the ends. The company that makes the wheels is Vision Wheels, they are heavy haulers . I found many vendors with them, they came to a little over 1000 to the door. The tires were 190 a piece. Not a bad investment considering the amount of damage and stress my 16" setup cost me. This is the only wheel that I know of that will fit our trailers without any stud or hub modifications. I did look at the 17.5" option, but the fact that I have 19.5s on the GMC made me go that direction so I can carry a spare that will work on either one. I also needed to lift the trailer a bit to match the truck and maintain the bed clearance. I race motocross and hare scrambles and the extra clearance comes in real handy at the track. I also am really pleased with how the wheels changed the look of the trailer..... cosmetic I know, but I take pride in what I have worked hard to get and like it to look nice
Steve
Scox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv