Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I know many of you have had quite a few rigs, and I would find it interesting to see what's everyon
2 Axle 6 33.33%
3 Axle 10 55.56%
I don't care as long as I get the payload. 0 0%
I would like to have a 3rd axle that raises when I DON'T need it. 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #1

WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #2

I know many of you have had quite a few rigs, and I would find it interesting to see what's everyone's opinion as to preference between the 2 axle TTs and the tri-axle TTs. Obviously, length is a big issue as well as manueverability, which is why you can find both in many flavors- and the axle weight varies greatly. What do you prefer, and why?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #3

Sean,

I could only get the LE3305 with 3 axles

This is the first rig that I have pulled with
3, and I really don't think there is that much
difference in the way it feels.

Obviously, it is a better option with these
bigger rigs.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:05 AM   #4

56: Have had a tri-axle for 5 years now...and it definitely a better ride, but you gotta be careful on the sharp turns- you'll bust an equalizer real quick. Keep those tires inflated to the max and they'll do better.

Now we just got to work on WW putting the 16's as a standard.

Sean
Old 05-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
now there is a good question !

i guess if dually trucks are noticibly more stable over SRW, the triple axles will feel better on the road then the double axle trailer?

i just got my first triple and am looking forward to it

we all hear that the tires on the triples will scrape a lot as you make sharp turns, but who here has ever worn a trailer tire out? More often the average trailer owner replaces them because of age as versus because of tread all worn off. So the tread doesn't worry me too much. Hopefully i don't pop too many beads off though. Like you say Sean, gotta keep those tires inflated up to potential.

and I like your option of:
" I would like to have a 3rd axle that raises when I DON'T need it."
I have driven about every type of garbage truck there is and that is a popular option with those trucks. Anyone here ever tow a 5er behind a garbage truck. you would have NO problem with the weight issue.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #6

Mike:

not that I want to start a tire discussion here, but here I go...

You're right...tires get replaced more because of rot than mileage, but I had the ride of my life two years ago on one of our Utah trips...we were on our way back from the Grand Canyon through Williams, AZ. Got on I40 and let loose with the 70mph speed limit. I could see (and feel) though, the front left tire kinda buldging out on a cyclic vibration and couldn't figure it out. Stopped in Kingman to fuel up, and Moski went into the coach and discovered the oven was just about outta the cabinet! I knew at that time I needed to do sumpthin, so luckily Kingman had a BigO dealer. Found out 5 of the six tires were separating (tires were only 2 years old). They prorated all six (for $86 tires I wound up paying $24ea because they had so much tread on them) and we were down the road. But I still get chills thinking of what could've happened if those babies let loose.

Needless to say, I watch 'em like a hawk now and make sure pressures are up and kick 'em every time we stop. Like will be easier when I can go to 16's and I can get a good tire that you don't have to babysit.

Ohhh...forgot to mention that just before hat trip I replaced the F250's tires, and on the way to Heaven had to replace my 350x's rear tires- within one week, I have bought 12 tires!!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
At our 5th wheel's GVWR (16K), it's not uncommon to see either configuration. Ours has 2 heavier axles with larger brakes and G-rated tires. The 3-axle trailers will have much lighter rated axles, smaller brakes and (usually) D-rated tires, so load carrying capacity tends to be about a wash.

Given the above, I prefer the 2-axle configuration because tire scrub on sharp turns is less of a problem. Newmar had an interesting solution for their heavier 5th wheels - tandem duallies (two axles with dual wheels like a dually truck - 8 tires in all).

JMHO....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #8

Rusty:

Good point..tire scrub is definitely an issue. And duallies on a 5er...now THAT'S interesting...gotta picture? The new SLC will have 6,000lb axles and going 16" will kick up the GVWR to 18k. Now for getting the truck that'll compliment that!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #9

i believe that this forum will eventually be renamed the 'Tire Chat Line' and we'll all have little pictures of tires for our avatars, except Sandy of course, who will still have feet in hers, but i suppose technically feet and tires kinda do the same sort of thing

and yes a multiple tire blow out is THE BIG SCARE. and a dealer not having an option for tire/wheel upgrade has me a bit tiffed. that 15 to 16 option should be dirt easy to do and reasonably priced as well. WW appears to finally have switched their tire vendor, i wonder if that was due to insistence from the buyers of their trailers?

your story of vibration and the potential close call as you finally determined what was causing the vibration, shows just how important this whole issue is
Old 05-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
And duallies on a 5er...now THAT'S interesting...gotta picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty
Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 AM   #11

Now that is a footprint !
Not much tire scrub issue and not much over-loaded tire worry either.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #12

Rusty:

Now THAT is just about as manly as manly can get!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, I understand Tim Taylor (Tim Allen - Home Improvement) has one!! Arggghhh! More power!!!

Rusty
Old 05-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have driven about every type of garbage truck there is and that is a popular option with those trucks. Anyone here ever tow a 5er behind a garbage truck. you would have NO problem with the weight issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Garbage truck..............huuummmmmm with some conversion ideas to the back, and the remote control arm on the side...that has got me thinking............

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
learnem is offline   Reply With Quote