Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #1

2011 Fuzion 398 Microwave/Oven Vent issue.

Hi,

Im new to this forum, I just purchased a 2011 Fuzion 398 less than a month ago, and noticed everytime I use the oven or stove (specifically if im cooking breakfast) that the whole coach fills with smoke, and sets the detectors off. I had to remove one of the batteries from the smoke detector and open my doors to vent it out.

I noticed that the microwave does not vent to the outside as a traditional RV it recirculates the air through the opening at the top back into the coach, and with nowhere to go it accumulates in the coach. I contacted Keystone about this and they will not authorize a repair or modification to even just install the Microwave Vent into the side of the trailer. Basically they are giving me the finger and trying to tell me I dont have a problem. I expect smoke if im burning something drastically, or even a little bit, But when theres nothing burning and the smoke detector goes off, or the trailer fills with smoke/ or steam whatever you wanna call it. I call it a problem.

has anyone else experienced this, and what are youre typical responses from keystone as far as warranty work goes??

Jeff Keiper

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuziondragge View Post
has anyone else experienced this, and what are youre typical responses from keystone as far as warranty work goes??
Jeff, Absent a resolution can you open and turn on the galley exhaust fan in the ceiling?

I would find an appropriate RV dealer and have them pop a hole through the sidewall.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

well seeing as how the coach is brand new and its a design issue, I didnt want to shell out for the work just yet. I didnt buy a 70,000 msrp trailer to have to turn around and fix something that should not be an issue.

Unforutnately there is a standard skylight in the galley (8.5 foot above the floor totally unreachable) but there is no fan installed in said galley.. and once again call me crazy but I didnt spend that kind of money to have to jump on a stool, to manually crank open a vent and turn on a fan just so i could have eggs and bacon in the morning!!

what I did do was contact my dealer and keystone and complain and complain and complain to have them install a fan in the skylight thats already there. it was either that or replace the microwave and install the standard vent (because there is a metal panel that is removed out of the microwave to allow it to room vent, and vice versa you would remove the metal panel designed for side venting leaving the other in place) it took a couple days, and alot of hearing how i didnt have a problem from keystone but they finally gave in.

On Edit: I also posted this on woodalls, and found out that there are several fuzion owners who had the same issue, so its not just me. Several just shelled out the money for the extra fan.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Hawg Hauler
I have a 2010 Raptor, and it has an above oven vent, but the vent has a latch on the exterior of the unit that has to be undone prior to using, do you possibly have the same setup on yours?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #5

is your micro a Half Time Oven? if so it should be vented, if you have just a traditional micro then the vent is in the range hood and it should be vented to the outside. somethings amiss?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6

no the way the micro is designed is to also double as the range hood, most if not all RV manufacturers will typically vent these to the outside via the vent which yes usually will have a little latch to keep closed when not in use, this one however was installed in the room vent configuration so there is no venting to the otuside. the manufacturer finally agreed to pay for the fantastic vent installation.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #7

That's a first for me, never heard of a non-vented range hood/micro. in an RV. There must be a structural design flaw that prevents creating an opening in the sidewall for a vent opening for these trailers.
Hope that Fantastic Fan comes with a remote. Climbing a ladder is gonna get old_real quick.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #8

Thanks for posting this, This issue is of particular concern to me, as I have a little girl with asthma and can see how this may present a problem for us. I too just purchased a 2011 Fuzion (360) and can't believe that this wasn't thought out better at the factory. I traded in an '04 Wilderness Advantage TT that had this issue address properly.

I'm actually on hold w/Keystone as I write this. I'll let you know how it goes. This is my first purchase of a Keystone product, and this experience may very well determine my future with them.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #9

UPDATE....

The nice lady in Customer Relations just put me on hold to talk to her tech dept. They told her that I needed to turn on the Fantastic Fan over the kitchen while I'm cooking & that should fix the problem.

Trouble is, there isn't a Fantastic Fan there - just a regular old rooftop vent. She's put me back on hold...
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #10

Per Keystone's request, Mike Thompson RV has to have a tech verify that there is indeed no Fantastic Fan in the ceiling vent in the kitchen/main living area. If MTRV finds no Fantastic Fan in the ceiling (which they won't - cause it's not there), Keystone may very well authorize the installation of one. MTRV has been great and Keystone has been pretty coorperative so far. It really is a no brainer for there to be something there to vent out the "coach", as they say.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #11

UPDATE:

Well I just got a call from MTRV that the Fantastic Fan install has been approved by Keystone as a warrantied repair, so I'll have to take it back in after the holidays to have it installed.

Big props to Keystone and MTRV here, I have to say.

Actually, MTRV told me that because of my issue Keystone has agreed to put a Fantastic Fan in every new Fuzion sold at MTRV. Pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypilch View Post
UPDATE:

Well I just got a call from MTRV that the Fantastic Fan install has been approved by Keystone as a warrantied repair, so I'll have to take it back in after the holidays to have it installed.

Big props to Keystone and MTRV here, I have to say.

Actually, MTRV told me that because of my issue Keystone has agreed to put a Fantastic Fan in every new Fuzion sold at MTRV. Pretty cool.
I would have guessed that MTRV was already aware that the fan arrangement in that 'hauler was curious. They aint dummies. So maybe they wait until something happens. (?)

At any rate, fantastic fan makes a handful of different models. take a look at them all before one gets installed, one of their choice. Prompt for the one that will best suit you. At worst you might have to pony up a couple bucks but get a 'finer' fantastic fan. There are models of that fan with differing capabilities.

Good luck hoss

FatDog
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
I would have guessed that MTRV was already aware that the fan arrangement in that 'hauler was curious. They aint dummies. So maybe they wait until something happens. (?)

At any rate, fantastic fan makes a handful of different models. take a look at them all before one gets installed, one of their choice. Prompt for the one that will best suit you. At worst you might have to pony up a couple bucks but get a 'finer' fantastic fan. There are models of that fan with differing capabilities.

Good luck hoss

FatDog
this is true keystroke agreed to a standard fantastic fan for mine i ponied up the extra fifty to get the deluxe with remote!

it sounds like i was the first to raise hell over this issue! glad this post helped!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #14

Glad things worked out for you.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote