Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #85

I think a ecoboost would pull it well enough. With a toy in the back the Tongue weight is pretty low. The lighter weight of an f150, especially now with the aluminum body might make things interesting in cross winds and such.

I've towed my dad's 2912 with my 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi. Did well enough, but we had 2 cruisers loaded and had trouble getting enough tongue weight to keep the tail from wagging the dog.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream71 View Post
Great to hear you got a ladder. Definitely needed. I also wish mine had a porch light.

My tires are called "Vail Sport Radial ST" 235/80R 16. Definitely Chinese made, but most camper tires are. I check pressures before every trip, and put 303 Aerospace Protectant on them often to prevent sun damage. My tires are nitrogen filled and they seem to hold pressure better than others.
How have the Vail Sport Radial ST tires been holding up for you, just bought a new fifth wheel with these tires. Thanks for any info!!

Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbet2 View Post
How have the Vail Sport Radial ST tires been holding up for you, just bought a new fifth wheel with these tires. Thanks for any info!!
I have had no issues with my tires with 1500 miles of towing. The very first weekend out, I got a screw lodged in one of the tires. It was a short sheet metal screw. It didn't go through, and I pulled it out. So far so good.

I learned to baby my tires from my class A motorhome days. Those puppies are expensive. I check pressures before every trip, and put 303 on them regularly to prevent sun cracking.

Congratulations on the fifth wheel purchase!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	113350  
Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #88

Quote:
I have had no issues with my tires with 1500 miles of towing. The very first weekend out, I got a screw lodged in one of the tires. It was a short sheet metal screw. It didn't go through, and I pulled it out. So far so good.

I learned to baby my tires from my class A motorhome days. Those puppies are expensive. I check pressures before every trip, and put 303 on them regularly to prevent sun cracking.

Congratulations on the fifth wheel purchase!
Thanks for the feedback, after hearing about all the cheap tires they are putting on these trailers it had me thinking about upgrading the tires already. I just need to get each axle weighed to make sure they are both sharing the load equally. Great idea about the 303.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbet2 View Post
I have had 1 fail already, around 2k miles. Has broke belt.

These tires have lots of sidewall flex, you can push on the back of the camper and watch it flex like a rubberband.

I will be putting 4 tires on before spring...one blowout can cause some damage.

You know it's a cheap tire when you can't find and buy them yourself.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
I have had 1 fail already, around 2k miles. Has broke belt.

These tires have lots of sidewall flex, you can push on the back of the camper and watch it flex like a rubberband.

I will be putting 4 tires on before spring...one blowout can cause some damage.

You know it's a cheap tire when you can't find and buy them yourself.

I have noticed the sidewall flex. I agree, I couldn't find anyone you sells them or much info about them. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the Maxxis ST225/75R/15 Load E, or just going straight to the Michelin XPS Rib LT225/75R/16. I would have room for the 16's at that size, don't have room for anything larger. I would have to buy wheels regardless as I don't think my current wheels will take the 80psi. One thing I don't want to deal with are tire issues while towing, I know they can happen regardless, but at least I would be trying to do something to prevent it.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #91

I read the above comments about tire failure and called my parents who travelled to AZ with their 2912 for a couple weeks. I told my father to check his tires over before he left for home and every time he stopped on the way. He checked the pressures, all were good and assuming he had under 3k he thought I was being crazy.

He was fueling south of SLC and a tire guy was walking by and heard a popping noise and started looking over the rear tires. My father came over and they checked pressure and was down to 65 in that one. Got out a flashlight and found chunks of the tire missing. Checked the otherside but same axle and it was separating right down the middle of the treads.

4 new tires going on. He hopes to make Idaho Falls yet tonight. Billings tomorrow where hen plans on a talk with dealership about tires that disintegrate.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #92

Yikes. I haven't had issues yet, but don't have many miles on them. What is the best 16" trailer tire to replace them with in your opinion?
Old 12-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #93

I'm getting nervous as well. I've only had ours out once. Sounds like the manufacturer should be being held accountable!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #94

Quote:
Yikes. I haven't had issues yet, but don't have many miles on them. What is the best 16" trailer tire to replace them with in your opinion?
Goodyear G614
235/85R16 126R
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #95

Quote:
I've had no love lost with GoodYear as I've had so many failures with their Marathon tires (less than 2 years old for the oldest and 6 months for the youngest) with absolutely no recognition of the problems with their tires nor any assistance on even the purchase price of new tires or repair of the damage caused.
When it came time to buy the tires for my Toy Hauler, I contacted Simpletire.com and bought 6 Sailun S637 tires... They're well respected and have great reviews. These tires weighed 62# vs. 31# of the ST tires they replaced. 235-85-16 was the size. Just a hair taller than the 235-80-16's they replaced. We recently towed the trailer (all 18k pounds of it) over 2,000 miles on a single trip to our AZ winter resting spot and it was rock solid and stable..
I'm sold...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #96

Finally got our new Ram 6.7 Cummings Turbo Diesel 2500 and our 2912! Can't wait to put the Harley in it and point south to FL in late February/ first week of March. It seemed like a loooong time coming with Camping World but all in all, SO FAR, it has been good. We actually got a couple of unexpected bennies. 1) They put 4 remote controlled vent fans in our rig, 2 Fantastics and 2 Maxi fans, thought we only negotiated two. 2) vent covers for all four, we lose the rain sensor capability but thought the protection outweighed that. 3) a slide out awning, told them I wanted that on before we picked it up, fully expected to pay for it but I guess they thought I wanted it as part of deal 2016 model DOES NOT come with the rear bunk ladder, they through that in! The 2016 model tables have a crappy looking wood veneer cover, similar to a 8' folding table, last years tables matched the counter tops, kind of the fake granite look, they switched ours out with the granite looking ones from another 2912 on the lot! Now the fun of setting the inside up to our liking! One of my biggest dilemmas, where to hang the TP holder, right now my favorite in the running is the inside of the door under the sink directly in front of you while on the throne!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtskinner View Post
Finally got our new Ram 6.7 Cummings Turbo Diesel 2500 and our 2912! Can't wait to put the Harley in it and point south to FL in late February/ first week of March. It seemed like a loooong time coming with Camping World but all in all, SO FAR, it has been good. We actually got a couple of unexpected bennies. 1) They put 4 remote controlled vent fans in our rig, 2 Fantastics and 2 Maxi fans, thought we only negotiated two. 2) vent covers for all four, we lose the rain sensor capability but thought the protection outweighed that. 3) a slide out awning, told them I wanted that on before we picked it up, fully expected to pay for it but I guess they thought I wanted it as part of deal 2016 model DOES NOT come with the rear bunk ladder, they through that in! The 2016 model tables have a crappy looking wood veneer cover, similar to a 8' folding table, last years tables matched the counter tops, kind of the fake granite look, they switched ours out with the granite looking ones from another 2912 on the lot! Now the fun of setting the inside up to our liking! One of my biggest dilemmas, where to hang the TP holder, right now my favorite in the running is the inside of the door under the sink directly in front of you while on the throne!
Congratulations! Our dealer gave us a ladder. Sounds like you made out really good on the deal! I've wondered where to put the tp holder and towel holder as well. Happy trails!
Old 01-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #98

We are about to buy a new Stryker 2912 as well. We are downsizing from a 44-ft fifthwheel toyhauler :-) We have a 2008 Silverado 3500HD diesel dully, and plan on getting a Equalizer anti-sway hitch.

For those of you who have Equalizer already, do you have 10000 lb rating or higher? We estimate that trailer will weigh just a little above 10k with all the toys loaded.

Thanks!