Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #1

We went back to Walker River Resort for our second trip and had a great time. My 14 year old son flipped his quad after hitting some whoops at around 40 mph. luckily he is ok except for a cut on his leg and a few bruises. He gave his dad a few more gray hairs though. His quad has a rear wheel wobble now though, so I'm going to have to take it to the shop.

The WW was great except for a few things. It was cold on sat. night so I fired up the heater. It worked great but when it cycled off for the first time it wouldn't re-fire. The next day I removed the igniter and the gap was huge so I narrowed it and tried it again. The heater fired right up but with the same result. So...I take out the igniter...put it back in.....same result. I did this four more times with the same result. Any ideas?

Then, when we got home, I opened the coach to unload and there is glass all over the floor. Somehow the oven glass shattered on the way home. Nothing hit it so I don't know what happened. I'm going to have a hard time convincing the dealer I didn't break it though.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #2

We went back to Walker River Resort for our second trip and had a great time. My 14 year old son flipped his quad after hitting some whoops at around 40 mph. luckily he is ok except for a cut on his leg and a few bruises. He gave his dad a few more gray hairs though. His quad has a rear wheel wobble now though, so I'm going to have to take it to the shop.

The WW was great except for a few things. It was cold on sat. night so I fired up the heater. It worked great but when it cycled off for the first time it wouldn't re-fire. The next day I removed the igniter and the gap was huge so I narrowed it and tried it again. The heater fired right up but with the same result. So...I take out the igniter...put it back in.....same result. I did this four more times with the same result. Any ideas?

Then, when we got home, I opened the coach to unload and there is glass all over the floor. Somehow the oven glass shattered on the way home. Nothing hit it so I don't know what happened. I'm going to have a hard time convincing the dealer I didn't break it though.

Wes
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wes

I've heard of these oven doors shattering before, something to do with the glass and the way its installed in the door.

As for the furnace, check the airflow path for something that doesn't belong there. If there's not enough air it won't refire. Voltage too low will cause it too, especially if the batteries are a little low and then there's a voltage drop from the bat to the heater.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #4

Geeezzzz WES!!! You better get that garlic necklace and put it around your neck...you need to ward off some RV demons. Wow...you sure have had your share of foo-paws in the RV world lately!

I've had the same heater problem in my old TH...and Tommy's got it just perfect- check airflow. Ther's an air-switch (no..REALLY!)...that if you don't get enough airflow, it won't open enough to "switch" and allow the heater to fire. Another one of those pesky safety devices.

Now grab a cervesa, sit down, and relax before something else goes haywire!!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yeah, that one was from my old Motorhome days. These late model TH's never have that problem. (except Wes)
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. I just checked the airflow path and there are no obstructions. Is there some way to check the sail switch without taking apart the heater? I did notice that when the heater tries to fire, the electrode is arcing to ground where it's mounted. Could this be the problem?

As for the oven glass.....I checked the warranty and wouldn't you just know that the door glass isn't covered. You can't just buy the glass either. You have to order the entire door assembly, about $115.00. I'm thinking about getting a piece of tempered glass from the glass shop, painting the inside black and calling it done. I'll save about $85.00.

Wes
Old 09-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #7

Wes,

To bad about the oven glass, go figure it's not covered. Your idea sounds like a good one, I'm sure you will get the glass installed better than the factory did. I have never had a heater problem like that so I have no idea.

Glad your son is ok, we had a simular thing happen many years ago with my son and a 3 wheeler. It tipped and then ran over him. I saw the whole thing, never knew I could run so fast in sand. He was fine except for a few cuts to his leg also. Oh the pain our kids bring us. I don't have to worry about turning gray, it will all be gone by then...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well HD, if I remember correctly, you have to have the fan running at a given speed to make the sail switch, which has to make before the gas solenoid can energize, and somewhere in this mess the igniter is going so as soon as the air/fuel arrives it will ignite.

The igniter, I don't think, should be arcing to anything except the electrode and as I remember the gap is larger than you would expect, around .060 I think.

I think I would hang a voltmeter on the gas solenoid and see if it is getting voltage to turn on. That would divide things and give you a direction. However, since this puppy is in warranty, why not take it to a repair shop and have it fixed.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #9

Hi High Desert, looking at your picture and signature I have to ask, was that you parked at the end of the second row last weekend? If so I was in the same row but at the other end with a WW FS 2600 and a red Ford Crewcab. Isn't Walker River Resort a great place? I think my brother and I passed your group on our way back to WRR from Yerington-we were the 2 white Honda XR's racing through the hoops on the parallel trails. If so I appoligize if I dusted you when we passed, I hope I rode far enough off of the trail to prevent it-we were racing to determine who had to cook that night and those whoops are a blast at speed. I'm going back there next Saturday for 1 day of riding with some friends-a minimum equipment trip with only a sleeping bag, camp stove and clothes, I hope I don't freeze to death.

Have you ridden in the national forest south of WRR? A lot of great trails but you have to ride on the pavement about 5 miles to get there.

If our paths cross again I'll introduce myself.
Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #10

Yep....that was us. I noticed your rig and bikes. I love the whoops there...definitely fun. It's going to get in the high 30's, low 40's at night this weekend.Brrrrrr.

I've never ridden the NF there, will have to do that sometime.

Hope to see you out there again.

Wes
Old 11-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #11

I finally repaired the furnace and oven door. The furnace problem turned out to be a shorting electrode. I replaced it and now the coach stays toasty warm.

For the oven door, I had a piece of glass cut and tempered. Then I painted the back with high temp. black paint and "set" the glass in high temp. silicone for better shock resistance. The total cost was $45.00 for a substantial savings.

Here's a pic. of the repaired door.

Wes
Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #12

Wes,

Looks factory!!! I'm sure that your fix will last longer than the original WAS supposed to.

Take care up there in the COLD

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote