Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

380AMP XLR thunderbolt - the good and the bad

Im new here and have been searching for a new toy hauler. I love the 380-AMP XLR thunderbolt, but after reading all the negitive reviews, Im a little freaked out about buying one. PLEASE tell me your experience with quality and customer service. Thanks
mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I can't help with your particular brand, I can say that you will find people who can scare you out of every brand out there. If you like the trailer and the deal, go for it. People come to the forums more often than not to complain when something goes wrong. The majority with good units are too busy having fun camping to post on the net. All the major brands are made pretty equally. They all put out bad ones and there is always someone who isn't happy about how the dealer or customer service handles their issue. Again, if you like the 380AMP go for it and let us know how you like it!!
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

I have a 2014 395 xlr amp and lov it , its mechanical and eventually you will have some probs , i like mine and had it since last august . I had couple issues and one big one . The brake lines from axle to brakes was too long and got sucked into rims and disconnected but got that fixed. People luv my toy
xlr395scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

I have a 380 amp and love it .The only draw back is the bedroom being small,But I fixed that problem,I haven't read any negative info on the 380.
Mantisfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

I have a 2013 300x12 Thunderbolt. I bought it in April 2013. I have been very happy with the trailer. I bought it because it was the smallest 5th wheeler I could find with a 12' garage. I had one warranty issue - the fresh water tank leaked when new. The tank was replaced with a minimum amount of fuss. I recently had a blowout that damaged one of the lower body panels on my trailer. I have a thread on my tire problems in this same section of IRV2. I believe the trailer you are looking at will have the same tires and axles as mine, except you will have 3 axles (your trailer is bigger). The tires sux.

Link to pics of my toyhauler: toyhauler - andy29847
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

Thank you for all the helpful info. Im going to purchase it at the end of the month, and yes, I switch out the tires right away. My favorite tires so far are the triangle,$120 and never had a blow out. Tread lasts for a very long time and I have a triple axle right now. Love them. Thanks again
mouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
the guy beside me has one and he has to get axles replaced because they are too light so a set of (i believe) 1700# are being installed.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #8

I too am looking at the Thunderbolt. I am wanting the 401 AMP. I need something big for my large family. I would really like to keep in touch with you and find out how it works out. We have been shopping around for a few months now and poured hours of time in to researching the best fit for our family. Right now, the Thunderbolt XLR 401 seems to have the best floor plan and feel for us. Please let me know how it works out.
jayandlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #9

Please keep the comments coming from FR AMP owners. We're interested in either the 375 or 380.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just bought a 415AMP this week. So far found out in the shower no caulk along the inside between the metal bottom rail for the sliding shower door and base of shower pan = water all over the floor. No spray foam insulation under the bathroom sink where the pipes come up through the floor. Stuff like this happens though. This is our 4th new trailer and there's always little things. But the Cyclone we bought a few years ago we think may have had frame flexing issues.

Our biggest issue was with the dealership we bought from. Not too happy with them, although they were willing to work with us on a trade when no one else would. That was the only good part.

Some friends of ours bought the same unit we have a few years ago and they seem to be really happy with it.
taminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

I like the amp and the setups . It kind of gives you both the luxury of upper end trailer and the ability to have a garage. There is always gonna be up keep on them and as far as dealers there all great when you are interested in purchase or trade ins .
Congrats Tammy and Kenny on your 415 and the crazy cats , haha
xlr395scot is offline   Reply With Quote