Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
5er or Bumper Pull?

We want to buy an inexpensive TH for weekend camping trips but don't want to go huge.
I have a 2013 F250 and looking for a "short" TH, I don't want the total rig size to be massive. The question is what is the difference in overall rig length between a 28 -30' tow TH and say a 35' 5er? Given the hitch on the tt is additional to the "length", and the initial few feet of the 5er is over the truck bed.

Thanks in advance.

737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Seems like you already answered your question? A TT of 30' is close to a 5th wheel of 34', give or take.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Asnother point to consider is that a 5er feels steadier. Could because the anchor point is above your rear wheels and no a point on thee rear bumper. JMHO
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
His 1st line says "inexpensive" - a bumper pull will probably be found cheaper than a 5ver.

Here in N. Fl. a friend is selling a 2008 30' bumper pull for 16k, I see a 2007 28' for 14k. Same price 5ver is an older 2004 37'

The overall length (exterior) would be about the same from a 35' 5ver and the 28'-30' bumper pull. The difference is the interior space.

With a 2500 pick up, the 28'-30' bumper pull wouldn't exceed your trucks capacities. The 35' 5ver COULD exceed some of your trucks numbers. Look at different models to see what the GVWR is and figure 15% plus for pin weight. Figure 12.5% for tongue weight on a bumper pull.

Just an FYI, Pin and tongue are higher with garage empty of toys. The axles of toy haulers are a little farther back to support the toy weight when loaded. Research (or at least look at) garage capacities for what you need it for - each model may be different. My TH has a 2,000# capacity in the garage area. I carry 1 motorcycle (800#) or a shuttle cart (1200#) - although I could carry both of my bikes (1600#). I have weighed the trailer and saw my tongue weight change for each toy or lack of. The cart weighs the most and makes for a lighter tongue vs 1 bike vs nothing in the garage for the heaviest tongue weight (I haven't weighed with both bikes yet).
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Well thanks guys, great insight. When I said inexpensive I guessing was saying I'm not about to drop $60k on a unit.
The weight issue is very interesting, thank you.
737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
TT will definintely be less expensive then a 5er. But it is all what you want and need for your weekend excursions. I would worry more about weight than length. NFlcampre gave you some food for thought. Your truck towing capacity is something you need to become familiar with, your tow capacity is greater with a 5er just because of the point of attachment and how it distributes the weight. I have had both and will never have tow behind again, 5ers pull so much better in my opinion. So it is all going to boil down to $$$, Weight, and perferences.

Make your list of must have's, nice to have's and deal breakers. Once you have that list it is all a matter of looking for the one that more closely matches your list, quality will be pretty much equal across the board, every manufactorer has their issues, so don't let the horror stories in forums scare you away from them. For every 1 horror story there are thousands with no or minimal issues. Food for though

hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote