Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Been shopping for a 5er hitch.. anyone have comments on a RBW 16X? On mounting is it preferred to bolt or weld the brackets to the frame? Would appreciate any followup.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Been shopping for a 5er hitch.. anyone have comments on a RBW 16X? On mounting is it preferred to bolt or weld the brackets to the frame? Would appreciate any followup.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #3

I went with the B&W cuz it was a no drill install. I can have my hitch out in less than 5 minutes with a clean bed and it has 4 way pivot... I have a long bed so a slider was not an issue.. So far I love it.. It was pricey though.. About 1300 installed...

\Noob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Ford Bulletin on Welding on 2005 and Up F250-F550 Trucks

Now there is the 'Steak and Eggs Breakfast' question.
I would say that this is the question tossed around an aweful lot. And the "bolted" probably has more takers.?.?. I welded on my current '01, but you HAVE to be careful and be confident of what you are doing. I am and was. Next hitch I buy, I'll bolt just so I can take it with me when and if I sell the truck or hitch.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #5

Mikey:

You ain't 'poopin' there buddy (Steak & Eggs Breakfast Question! !!).

I don't know about the RBW Dave, but I do know my Reese 20k (they make a 16K) I can get out of the truckbed in LESS than 3 minutes (sorry \Bob- maybe we need a "Hitch-Removal" contest, ey? Put those timber-cuttin' guys to shame!)...comes out in pieces that are hairpinned together- which is actually easier on the 'ol back than my 15K was. The only thing left in the bed in the rails, and they make good blocks for whatever you subsequently shove in the back.

My $0.02...FWIW....

Sean
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #6

My Husky 16K also yanks out in just 4 pulls of a pin, AND about one 150-pound benchpress of the hitch itself, and also just leaves a couple thin rails in the bed.
I thought about putting in a little cherry-picker in my garage to help with the task, but so far still enjoy my family laughing at me when I ask for help.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #7

Mikey:

If I find a cherry-picker in your garage, well...errr...I'll post a pic and the family won't be the ONLY ones laughing at cha!

They just don't make those things out of aluminum, do they? (Wonder why? ).

Sean
Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #8

That's what I did for half the day yesterday. When I decided to trade in Red I took everything off, hitch, airbags, custom lights, etc.. as the salesguy told me I should. I spent all day Sunday putting those things back on the new truck. I bolted the hitch to the frame. Now drilling the frame was the tough part, over 1/4" thick, I had to stari step the hole about 4 times. It is bolted just like it was on Red. Installed my plug in the rear of the bed also. I'm going to hold off on the airbags for now, don't have time to install them.

It was hard work, but it's done...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #9

Clark:

You're being modest....you did that all in about 254 degrees of heat- camels ran outta water!

I just don't know how you did that...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #10

Yeah,
Actually it was 102 degrees, 95% humidity. Not a fun day, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!!

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #11

i still wondering if maybe Clark doesn't have the new guys on the Force just come on over to his house and work his truck ... ..
..but giving you the benefit of the doubt Clark...that IS a pretty ambitious day you put in
Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 PM   #12

Well it sounds like you all have it a little easier than I with the Superglide. But I and my teenage daughters did a trial run and with them two on one side and I on the other it wasn't hard getting that thing in there at all. By my self...No way. I two was thinking about the cherry picker method after the kids get tired of helping dear old dad. I was also going to build a cart to roll it out of my way when working in the garage, it seems when you have a garage packed full of stuff you seem to always have to move things. Can't vouch for how well it works yet but cross your fingers, I should find out Wednesday. Anybody wants a good laugh drive by giant in Murrieta and you will see me mounting the TrailAir pin box sometime around noon.

Sounds like were having triplets that day

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.... I two was thinking about the cherry picker method after the kids get tired of helping dear old dad. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any day now, if like me
But like I say, while they are drinking only half the can of soda, and then leaving the rest for the ants to get,..
all I would have been doing is OTHER work, I might as well be lifting heavy stuff too
Old 07-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok folks here is the link to RBW http://www.rbwindustries.com/Products/X16.htm

My local rv shop prefers to weld. He thinks it's stronger and all that would remain on the truck if sold would be the brackets. About $20 to re-purchase. He is offering this hitch for $320 + $80 to install. Remember I am new to all this 5er stuff but I have learned this is a very popular hitch with the ag folks haualing critters and hay and such.