Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

5th Wheel or TT Toy Hauler?

I have a 2014 F-250 Shortbed CC for a TV. I'm going to trade in my current TT no later than next spring. I really want to take my time between now and then and go to as many RV shows as possible to get an idea of floor plan and build quality between different manufacturers.

Is there any benefit to buying a TT toyhauler or should I stick with the 5th wheel? Am I giving up anything with one choice over the other? I've never had a 5th wheel, but I'm assuming they will pull the weight in the garage much better than a TT.

I'm only looking at putting my Super Tenere, and KLR650 in the garage, ~800-900lbs combined for both bikes. I work remotely so I plan to be in the trailer up to 3 months out of the year. Generator, W/D hookup in the garage, and sleeping capacity are all considerations in what I'm looking for.

There are so many models out there, I don't even know where to start, or even how to approach a dealer about a trade in. Right now I have no idea if I'm getting a fair deal on a trade in offer. I'm not sure how accurate KBB or NADA are on trade in prices on RV's/TT's.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

I've owned one of both and I can say I liked the fiver more for maneuverability, but the garage was smaller than what I had become accustomed to with the bumper pull tow hauler floor plan. The fiver had a much larger and more plush bed room layout than my first one that had the area rear of the bed room second as storage/living area when toys where unloaded.

Advantage of a separated garage in a fiver is, you can use it as a guest room if needed with privacy, it will most likely have a full size bed that lowers from the ceiling on chain rails mounted on the wall.

They both pulled equally well weight wise using an F350 duelly, but the fiver if in the 35 foot range may require you to add air spring helpers on your truck, and I would add heavy duty shocks for add bounce/porpoising control, a common problem over wash board roads with some fivers heavily loaded.

If I were to go back to another toy hauler trailer, I think although I lost the capacity to carry two more bikes, it would be the fiver again.

If I had the chance to get my first toy hauler back today, I would in a heart beat, since now I could pull it behind the MH, and have extra living capacity for company.

The one draw back though, is not many toy haulers are made to handle an automobile on the ramp or in the trailer.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Weight with a fiver th will likely lit you on choices with the 3/4t truck. I have a 2015 Fuzion 345 chrome and tow with a 2014 ram 3500 srw...listed weights and actual dry weight was very close (3000 pin, 13800 empty). Ready to camp weights r about 3300 pin and 15200, 3100 pin and 16600 with rzr in garage. My truck has 12400 gvwr and I'm at max limits.

The fiver is going to tow much better and the separate garage is the bedroom for our two young boys which works well. However the actual kitchen and living space is quite small because of the garage and master bedroom size. There actually seems to be a lot more livable room in some travel trailer toy haulers because most have an open floor plan. We like ours and wouldn't ever go to a travel trailer, but we r moving in another direction (dp). Good luck and look at them all to find one that speaks to you!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Wink Toy Hualer IMHO

We went with the TH as we can haul our HD Street Glide and have it for local travel (as well as the F350) and we also use it for guest quarters. Our Fuzion 420 is 43' and the garage is 12'. Lot's of room for two and we liked this model 420 as it has a side patio vs. a 3rd slide. Wife wanted it like this.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Weight with a fiver th will likely lit you on choices with the 3/4t truck. I have a 2015 Fuzion 345 chrome and tow with a 2014 ram 3500 srw...listed weights and actual dry weight was very close (3000 pin, 13800 empty). Ready to camp weights r about 3300 pin and 15200, 3100 pin and 16600 with rzr in garage. My truck has 12400 gvwr and I'm at max limits.

The fiver is going to tow much better and the separate garage is the bedroom for our two young boys which works well. However the actual kitchen and living space is quite small because of the garage and master bedroom size. There actually seems to be a lot more livable room in some travel trailer toy haulers because most have an open floor plan. We like ours and wouldn't ever go to a travel trailer, but we r moving in another direction (dp). Good luck and look at them all to find one that speaks to you!

Thank you all for your feedback.

I hear you on the 3/4 ton truck. I'm looking at something like a Torque TQ291, but anything with a 10 ft garage, fold down bed and fold up seats will work fine in the back. I also plan to install ride rite bags to assist with the hitch weight. One thing that I'm not particularly keen on (Nor do I want/require) is a gas station. I ride dual sport motorcycles, which don't carry the weight or length of a Harley, and are plated so I can ride them to a gas station for fill ups without any problems. Every Toyhauler out there seems to come with one. I think price wise this all fits my budget, which is ~35-40K. I can wiggle above that if I find something that has a feature/configuration that I absolutely NEED to have, but if it's a WANT instead of a NEED feature I'll pass on it if the price is above that number.

I started to approach this with the mind set of staying away from Forest River as I'm looking for something with better build quality then our current Forest River product. However I am keeping the Work and Play series of trailers in mind when I'm out looking. I don't want to rule them out completely. I have noticed that their advertised prices are more inline with the luxury brands and I'm trying to determine if that's a Minimum Advertised Price from Forest River or if they've upped their build quality significantly?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:15 AM   #6

As far as the gas station goes, on smaller trailers, like the bumper pull TH's. YOu only get one gas tank to feed the generator and the gas station, so they all come equipped with the gas pump from what I have seen. I do not use the gas pump on mine very much, more to fill my lawnmower and snowblower at home.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 AM   #7

I have a Fuzion Impact 312 and love it. It is a bumper pull with a 12 foot garage. Very nice and we feel like it is well built as well. We are very glad we have it and ordered it with a second air conditioner and the patio ramp package. It would hold your two bikes and then some.
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

A 10" garage should be more than adequate for dual sports. I can fit 4 full size MX bikes, toolbox, power washer, generator, and various assorted goodies in my 10' garage. I only started using the gas tank this season for fuel for gennie and pressure washer. I was considering using it for water for pressure washer too. I still carry jugs for the bikes as some get race fuel mix, and others get pre-mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motogarage.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	125903  
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I have a Fuzion Impact 312 and love it. It is a bumper pull with a 12 foot garage. Very nice and we feel like it is well built as well. We are very glad we have it and ordered it with a second air conditioner and the patio ramp package. It would hold your two bikes and then some.

We almost bought one of these last month for our Rzr. Drove 2.5 hrs on the second trip for follow up look and noticed that I had a tape measure in the truck. Turns out the garage wasn't 12' but 11'9". Killed the deal as my RZR is 11'9.5".

We are looking at a Wolfpack 325pack13 5er now.
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
We almost bought one of these last month for our Rzr. Drove 2.5 hrs on the second trip for follow up look and noticed that I had a tape measure in the truck. Turns out the garage wasn't 12' but 11'9". Killed the deal as my RZR is 11'9.5".

Bummer! Glad you measured it first. Good luck in your search!
This is probably a good point for all of us. Nothing is as easy as it seems it should be.
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post

We can't find one near us to go look at. Closest ones are in Texas. There's one in GA but it has the sofa in the slide instead of the dinette so that's a no go for us.

I'd like to hear some reviews as well from current owners.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

Well we sold our travel trailer today, so the hunt for the TH is officially on. I think we're going to be traveling this weekend looking for the one.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #13

We have had our 315wp for 2 years,but only really used it last season because of some med problems I have.We have the gel coat sides and the super slide w/dinette and jacknife.The jacknife is scheduled to go in the trash and replaced w/2 recliners.All we carry is an elec cart.It does really pull nice,especially when the cart is on board.Never used the gas stationexcept for the generator.The 315 is a pretty open plan but lacks big time for kitchen counter top space.I do not like the finish on the interior wood,Its like it was stained with no sealer or finish coat.I amd going to fix that this summer.The bathroom is great,actually one of the reasons we bought it.Lots of space to get dressed or dry off.We are retired and traveled with 2 dogs,an aussie and a siberian husky.The husky is now gone ,she was diabetic for a few years and had liver desiesew that finally caught up with her at 10 years young.I loved that dog like a child,but thats not what you were asking about!Ours has been at the factory all winter to adress some issues, water tank falling out,soft spot in floor,shoddy cabinet work,slide came with a bent frame and wouldnt close completely,a few others too,but FR has been good about it ,fixed it all and even put on a complimentary slide topper that I wanted to buy this summer!At its price point its a decent unit but w/o some of the "bling" that people seem to want but we dont!I did replace the hitch with a Reese Goose Box (air ride) because they pull with NO chucking and I dont have the obnoxious hitch takeing up the whole box.We also have an equipment trailer and horse trailer w/LQ that are goose neck,so that was another good reason.The trailer does not chuck,sway or bounce at speeds up to 75mph.Most of the reason though is the hitch.I did upgrade the cheesy cast aluminum wheels to 16" DexWheel steel wheels and Marathon "e rated" tires.Cant say what It pulled like with the stock 15" D tires as I switched them at the dealers lot,along with the GoosBox hitch.I pull it with a 2000 F 250 sd extended cab 4 wd,7.3 diesel with a 160 hp tuner and a stage 5 ATS trans.It pulls great with this.It pulls the Merhow LQ horse trailer easily too and it wieghs 17000 loaded.I have had a self leveling ride rite air set up on the truck since new,so here again I cant tell you how it pulls with out them.Hope this helps.Ive never seen another one of these either on the road or in camps.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #14

I can't really help with your decision since I have only owned TT toy haulers. I to have a Super Tenere and a KLR650....but I only take one at a time. I just sold my Keystone Hobbi and have ordered a Keystone Outback 240 URS that will hold one bike...
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel