Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Hi, I pulled a 36 ft prairie schooner with a 08 gmc short bed before trading for an 2011 dodge. I got along just fine. Ya just have to use a little thing called common sense and you will be fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #16

In British Columbia, if the trailer weight is over 4500 kgs or approx. 10000lbs a house trailer endorsement is required for the operator to legally tow said trailer in BC. Not sure about those entering BC from other jurisdictions, but would guess if you're legal in the jurisdiction you're licensed for BC may overlook your inadequate licensing for the province.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunrovin1955 View Post
Hi, I pulled a 36 ft prairie schooner with a 08 gmc short bed before trading for an 2011 dodge. I got along just fine. Ya just have to use a little thing called common sense and you will be fine.

Pulling a trailer and pulling it safely are two different things. I see way too many trailers that over the trucks ratings.

All we ask is that you read what the correct information is for the truck and trailer and know where you stand on the ratings...over, under or right on. With this information, the driver has to make the decision of being comfortable knowingly exceeding the truck manufacturers ratings.

As to towing "legally" by what the state will license you for...well, lawyers and politicians do not have any engineering experience and you will never beat the laws of physics.

Ken
Old 07-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #18

All
You need to get over the dually fantasy (my opinion and 40 yrs of jerking race cars with suburban to dually and junk to featherlight) My 3500 axle is rated the same gaw as the dually, mt single tire is rated at 1.5 a single dually tire and if you feel the dually is better handling get wider and higher rated rear tires. The big guys say they get better tire mileage better MPG and can spot a bad tire quicker with super singles. If you live in cold country duallys cannot go through snow, car washes, close gates and on and on. Finding true pin weight takes wheel scales and even then you must have the trailer loaded with all mom's stuff and the toys as I know my 800 lb Harley takes weight from the hitch as it is behind my tri axle. The real problem with being "overloaded" is it gives your insurance company an excuse and they all seem to look for them relentlessly.
Fred P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred, I don't know you from Adam, but I lived in NE Oklahoma and drove my dually in winter snow and ice with ZERO issues. I did carry about 300# to 400# of sand over the rear axles during the winter. I have yet to find a SRW rated to carry as much weight as a DRW.

A DRW is more stable due to the extra width...basic physics here.

Towing a race car on a trailer is a bit different from a large 5th wheel due to the physical size of the trailer.

Ken
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #20

Just watched a Chev. 1500 gasser back a 38' Raptor toyhauler into the site next to me, scary, very scary.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have yet to find a SRW rated to carry as much weight as a DRW.
And therein lies the problem. With a large 5th wheel, a SRW truck will invariably exceed its GVWR before it reaches its fictitious "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" or its GCWR. It's not just how much the truck can PULL, but (with ~20% of the 5th wheel's loaded weight transferred to the truck as pin weight) how much the truck can CARRY. That's the strength of the DRW truck.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble
Just watched a Chev. 1500 gasser back a 38' Raptor toyhauler into the site next to me, scary, very scary.
Wow,.... I'd LOVE to see a picture of that,.... I have a 40' raptor TH and went round and round with the ford dealer about whether a 250 would even do it...... I bought an f350 DRW,... the wifey wanted me to just take what they suggested and hang them on it when it didn't work out,...... But being involved in trucking, I know from experience,... The DRIVER, and ONLY THE DRIVER is responsible,..... Just like on the water, you are the captain of the ship!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusky View Post
Wow,.... I'd LOVE to see a picture of that,.... I have a 40' raptor TH and went round and round with the ford dealer about whether a 250 would even do it...... I bought an f350 DRW,... the wifey wanted me to just take what they suggested and hang them on it when it didn't work out,...... But being involved in trucking, I know from experience,... The DRIVER, and ONLY THE DRIVER is responsible,..... Just like on the water, you are the captain of the ship!
I didn't think the guy needed the further humiliation of me taking pictures, he had enough problems already and I wasn't looking for any myself.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #24

Fred, super single tires are great for their designed purpose, heavy duty trucks hauling at maximum load limits for most of their lifespan. They are not so good for pickups where hauling at maximum load limits for little of their treadwear lifespan. Tire pressure then becomes a critical issue for both handling and tire wear. A close friend once put super singles on his 3/4T pickup. They changed the handling on both dry pavement and wet pavement tremendously. The weight to footprint ratio was so out of balance it was dangerous to drive on wet pavement.
I respectfully disagree with your reply.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #25

With my shortbed crew cab and companion hitch I can turn full lock either way going forward and not get into trouble. Reverse is a little touchy but I've shoehorned it into some very tight back-ins without crunching anything expensive, simple geometry says it will eventually happen if I'm not very careful.
But the flexibility of the companion/turnover ball makes it the best option for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #26

Looks like you've been hijacked from your OP and now its become a weights thread.

However you did some good advise on either a auto or manual sliding hitch.
I would get with your trailer dealer or manufacturer and get their input on what you will need or will work for your short bed Ford.
If you already have the pop up ball set up in the bed you might ask Palomino if they recommend usin a off set GN adapter on their trailer. Some trailer manfacturers do and some don't.

There are other RV webs that you might check with as someone may have the same combo/set up your inquiring about. Might save you some bucks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #27

soory, its been along time since i posted, lots of change since then, i will keep it short.
I traded my F 250 short bed for a F 350 dually 4by4 cc 6.0 turbo diesel, i never used the 5th wheel extension, the long bed dually has 4:10 rear gear ratio, pulls great.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #28

The B&W Companion is very adjustable. You can reverse the arms reward, move to other side and move to rear holes. It looks to be about a foot difference. I haven't measured it though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote