RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Grand Design Momentum 399TH or Jayco Talon 413T?

SwampgatorFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

I like my 399... it gets my vote...

Bordercreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

Haven't been in the Talon line, but can share that we're are happy with our Momentum.

Good luck on your decision.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

x3 Momentum
sgrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Just got Momentum 351M, superior quality, love it!!
coachkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Sales at Grand Design are the fastest growing in the industry. And their Momentum series has been especially competitive against other brands. I'd go for it.

(I have a GD Reflection bunkhouse model.)
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

We own a 2014 388M Momentum and love it! I changed the brakes to Disc and replaced the tires. It been a good hauler!
bhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #8

Good morning everyone. I am in the market for a 5th wheel toy hauler. I really like the grand design momentum 351M with the theater chairs / 2 person dinette set. What is the best time of year to purchase? (winter JAN- MAR)? just before the new models come out. Also is there any thing to watch out for/ be aware of? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Chris
dustyniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyniel View Post
Good morning everyone. I am in the market for a 5th wheel toy hauler. I really like the grand design momentum 351M with the theater chairs / 2 person dinette set. What is the best time of year to purchase? (winter JAN- MAR)? just before the new models come out. Also is there any thing to watch out for/ be aware of? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Chris
Hi Chris.. we bought the 2019 351M. Have the 4 recliner couch, just fits our lifestyle better. With that, there is a folding table and the 2 end recliners have removable trays, heat, and massage, along with the lighted cupholders.
Just took it 1600mi from SC to TX and it was trouble-free. Have an ultimate Andersen hitch on kingpin and just ordered tripod stabilizer with ball adapter.
We traded our 2017 fleetwood discovery mh for this baby and find the quality superior in the 351m. Just love it. Have had zero concerns with it. Trailers like a dream connected to our 2018 GMC 3500HD diesel dually.
The only thing that happened was that one of the pins that hold the upper bed in the garage wiggled loose from the elevator track. Looks like there should be a cotter pin, but the hole does not go thru. We are going to replace with one that will keep it in place when not in use. All doors and drawers stayed closed, and things pretty much stayed where we put them.
For us, this was and is the best decision we made. Grand Design quality is top notch, LOVE this home. We are full timers.
You will not be disappointed. Good luck and happy camping!
coachkids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyniel View Post
Chris
I have the 388 (same as the old 350 but with a 14'garage and triple axle). I got mine in the Spring and if I did it again I would buy in the fall. My frame is severely rusted. The only reason I can think of is that it was hauled to Texas in the winter with salt on the roads up north and this caused the corrosion. I tried to opt out of the Onan generator also as I already had three Honda 2000 sets that I used on my last fifth wheel. The Onan was already on the 388 so I had to take it. It has been a POS. It surges severely without a load and, from what I have read, it will need a new carb at $250+. And I have exercised it per the book and use fuel stabilizer. Other than that I love the TH.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #11

Very nice model! little bit longer than what I am looking for. Concerned about overall length when traveling and getting into Camp areas
dustyniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #12

Grand Design without a doubt.
2PawsRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #13

sgrol- I think your fuel pump is bad! It happened to mine! I carry a spare fuel pump now
bhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoward View Post
sgrol- I think your fuel pump is bad! It happened to mine! I carry a spare fuel pump now
I can see (have a clear fuel filter) and hear it working. Did yours go completely out or did it just limp along? Easy enough to change and find out.

Tags
5th wheel, toy hauler