RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

5th Wheel Toy Hauler

My husband & I are in the market for a 5th wheel toy hauler between 40 & 44 feet. Any information regarding what or what not to consider would be greatly appreciated. Looking foreword to our new adventure!

TJayBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the 5er but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. We too are Motor Home folks so not much help on the 5th wheel. Look at lots of dealers and attend an RV show if you can to get an idea what is out there.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

My first question is any experience with RV's? Just to get an idea of where you are "starting" at. Also know that with that size toy hauler, you are talking about a dually truck.
Wileykid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

No experience with RV’s but both my husband & I have our CDL’s & my husband drove big rigs. We just purchased a 2019 Ford 350 dually w the towing package. We will he hauling an Indian motorcycle. Spent this past Saturday at the Southwest RV show & sure liked the 2020 Cyclone 4007 but have read some less than stellar reviews.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #6

No matter what unit you read reviews on you will find "less than stellar". People will get on and post bad reviews when they are unhappy, not too many will take the time and post good reviews when happy.

Saying that we own the sister unit to the Cyclone, a 2018 Road Warrior 427. My suggestion is find a unit you like then a dealer who sells them. We bought our unit from Holman RV in Cincinnati, from where we lived it was about 150 miles away. Some people will buy local, but if you full time and travel how often will you be "local"? We found a dealer who treated us better than the other 3 we visited looking at the Road Warrior, that was the sole reason we went with them.

That being said my wife does not like the 2020 Road Warrior, comparing to our 2018 model, but she does like the 2020 Cyclone with the slide in slide in the bedroom. Took us 10 months searching before we found the one we wanted.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

We are happy with our Grand Design Momentum. You will find that there will always be those who sing the praises of a make/model while others are sharing horror stories about the same camper.

In particular regarding Grand Design, I especially like that there is heat and a/c in our garage. Some have a/c and no heat and others will have a mix of configurations including neither heat or air. I also like that Grand Design doesn't put the heat ducts in the floor to catch debris. Our basement storage is neat and clean without pipes, wiring, etc. running through the middle as some do as well and that is a plus. In short, we are happy with overall construction and build. After 4 seasons of use, no major issues/complaints.

Highly recommend the 6 point/auto level system on whatever unit you pick.

Feel free to ask specific questions as you start to narrow your search.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #8

My husband & I had a conversation which mirrored what you said here, including the need to find a good dealer. I so appreciate your input! Thank you.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

We have had multiple fiver haulers. Most all brands are relatively identical in quality when you compare flagship brands ((Cyclone, Road Warrior, Momentum, Fuzion, Raptor, Thunderbolt, ect)

Biggies for us are axles and GVWR. I want 21k GVWR on a 40+ footer with at least 4000 pounds of CCC. This means triple axle. I prefer 8k axles but the 7ks are likely sufficient. 2 axles not even worth looking at for us. I prefer no drop Z frame-strictly a personal sacrifice as you lose storage but in my experience full timing they have substantially less issues with frame flex.

Beyond that it’s just finding the floorplan and options you want. Good luck on your search!
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
We have had multiple fiver haulers. Most all brands are relatively identical in quality when you compare flagship brands ((Cyclone, Road Warrior, Momentum, Fuzion, Raptor, Thunderbolt, ect)

Biggies for us are axles and GVWR. I want 21k GVWR on a 40+ footer with at least 4000 pounds of CCC. This means triple axle. I prefer 8k axles but the 7ks are likely sufficient. 2 axles not even worth looking at for us. I prefer no drop Z frame-strictly a personal sacrifice as you lose storage but in my experience full timing they have substantially less issues with frame flex.

Beyond that its just finding the floorplan and options you want. Good luck on your search!
Thank you so much for information!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post

Beyond that its just finding the floorplan and options you want. Good luck on your search!

This pretty much sums it up. Floorplan is important. Axles are as well, and if it doesn't come with disc brakes, I'd budget them in. Huge difference. When looking at them, open all the cupboards and see if there is really enough storage. There are alot of false fronts or really shallow cupboards. From personal experience, sacrificing cupboard space in anticipation of putting stuff in the loft/garage gets old after awhile.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Toyhauler

Redhooker pretty much nailed the critical stuff. My short list includes:
1. Minimum 3 x 7000 lb axles
2. Heavy frame
3. Independent suspension (my preference) or SRE/LRE leaf w/greaseable shackles
4. Minimum 4000 lbs CCC
5. Disc brakes
6. Hydraulic levelers
7. Air ride hitch or pin box
8. Thermo-pane windows (preference)
9. 17.5 H-rated tires and wheels

We received great advice from forum members and ended up buying a used KZ Escalade 42CKS. We retrofitted the thermopane windows and 17.5 wheels and tires ourselves to get what we wanted. Make sure your rig has a strong frame and is quality built. Everything else can be upgraded or added.

Good luck in your search!!
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #13

Have you seen the ones that carry only one bike with the bed that raises up with the garage underneath? Cedar Creek, River Stone, Grand Design and I think Montana all offer this floorplan
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
My first question is any experience with RV's? Just to get an idea of where you are "starting" at. Also know that with that size toy hauler, you are talking about a dually truck.

OK, I know this is a sensitive subject, and it's not likely all THAT critical for this particular thread because TJayBro already has a Dually truck for hauling, but why simply claim that a Dually is required when all you know is they are in the market for a 40 plus toy hauler? I think it is wise to have "Plenty" of capacity in the TH, but if it's all about capacity, then maybe the details would be beneficial. Being a NooB in the TH and in the market for a Fiver myself, I'm doing a lot of homework. What I've found is that you need to understand the math, especially with TH and large loads in the garage. You also need to understand that the published "Pin Weights" are an average of factory configured "Empty" trailers. All the weight between the axles and pin will add proportionately to the axles and pin, and all the weight in the garage will leverage extra weight on the axles and decrease pin weight. It is also important to understand all five of the critical capacity weights of the truck, Front Axle, Rear Axle, Gross Vehicle, Gross Combined, and Payload and that the published marketing sheets are grossly inaccurate, but the actual data stickers on the doorjambs are good for that truck when it was sold new.

Without this knowledge and understanding, it is possible to over load the truck, or the trailer, or both, even if it's a Dually, or even to buy "Too much truck" (if that's even a concern). I've seen the numbers on the new 2019 Ram's and 2020 GMC HD's and you can get Single Rear Wheel Axle (SRW) trucks now that have better capacity that Duallys from a handful of years ago.

Scott-McC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, toy hauler