Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #1

I am thinking of getting two 6v batteries and was wondering how/if you connect the DLS-30 charger/converter to these batteries to charge them. Being as the DLS-30 is a 12v system, how can it charge 6v batteries. Please don't tell me I have to buy a new converter/charger.
The reason I am interested is I use my TH as a base camp during hunting season and I have no electricity on my hunting lease. I have found with both my old pop-up and my FS2300 that the heater fan is a big draw on the batteries.
Any help would be much appreciated.

TB

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #2

I am thinking of getting two 6v batteries and was wondering how/if you connect the DLS-30 charger/converter to these batteries to charge them. Being as the DLS-30 is a 12v system, how can it charge 6v batteries. Please don't tell me I have to buy a new converter/charger.
The reason I am interested is I use my TH as a base camp during hunting season and I have no electricity on my hunting lease. I have found with both my old pop-up and my FS2300 that the heater fan is a big draw on the batteries.
Any help would be much appreciated.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #3

Since you will probably want to get 12-volts out of those batteries to run your rv, you will need to connect them in series.

Trailer [+] to [+] 6-volt-bat [-] to [+] 6-volt-bat [-] to [-] trailer.

Then the charging lines are connected the same way: positive output from charge controler to the positive terminal that is also connected to the trailer circuits; neg output to neg terminal that is connected to trailer circuits.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #4

To charge two six volt batteries the two batteries must be hooked up in series and the charger positive lead hooks to the positive cable that supplies power to the coach and the negative charger lead hooks to the negitive cable on the second battery that is run to ground.

2005 Chevy 3500 (DRW) Duramax with Allison 1000
Goldenwingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 PM   #5

TB:

Not to worry...I've got the DLS30 charging my 4 6v batts along with a 3000w inverter...I do have to admit I need to upgrade the DLS to prolly a DLS55 or a DLS75, but it works!

two 6v's wired in serial will produce 12v...it's all in the cables that you use to hook it up with- no sweat.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys, I got the wiring part down now and I DO have the IQ4 on my charger. The only other question I have is, are the 6v batteries the same width as a 12v or do I have to modify the existing battery rack on my FS2300?

TB

WW FS2300
Old 08-30-2006, 05:30 AM   #7

TB, I believe length and width are the same just a couple inches taller. Just think of it as a large 12v battery instead of two sixes. Without a doubt the way to go!